Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New Orleans - Omni Royal Orleans vs Royal Sonesta

Old Jul 18th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, we are crazy and going to NO in August! Hoping to take advantage of GREAT HOTEL RATES due to off-season. Would like a REALLY FUN pool. Currently can get Royal Sonesta for $79.00 and Omni Royal Orleans for $134.00. Is there any spectacular reason we should pay extra for Omni? Thanks.
P.S. Would go the Priceline route but
we need to be sure we get a POOL.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 05:23 AM

I don't know about the Royal Sonesta, but the Omni has a really nice roof top pool with great views of the Quarter. I recall that there's also a poolside bar. There are king rooms on the 2nd and 4th floors with balconies ... request one on the 2nd floor. The queen rooms are very tiny. I like the Omni location ... right in the heart of the Quarter, but not right on Bourbon.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 05:31 AM

My vote is for the Royal Sonesta - it is our absolute favorite. It too has a lovely rooftop pool and a great courtyard with a lovely fountain below. Being right on Bourbon is wonderful - our room faced the courtyard and there was no noise from the street (I believe you actually pay extra for a room over the street - no thanks!). It's great to be so close to your hotel when you are out in the evening - it's like an oasis in the middle of mayhem. You are also within walking distance of many great restaurants (Arnaud's across the street, Acme Oyster House around the corner, and many more). The hotel has a lovely bar as well - nicely air conditioned which makes it great to escape from the heat of the street for a leisurely drink as you look out at the courtyard. Have a great time - I'm jealous!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 05:37 AM

I've stayed at the Omni and I thought it was wonderful. The rooms were tiny and we had a petite suite, but it had an intimate New Orleansy feel. The pool is on the roof, but that area is on the small side and there wasn't much "atmosphere" out there. The Omni is a few blocks off of Bourbon and the Royal is on Bourbon if that makes a difference. Being on Bourbon may have that REALLY FUN pool.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 07:59 AM

I just got back from staying at the Royal Sonesta this weekend. The pool is very nice, it's on the 3rd floor and has a courtyard and pool bar. I wouldn't really classify it as a wild, crazy, fun place...it was relaxing for us. There were some big groups having a great time playing cards and hanging out at the pool bar. No music though, that's the one thing missing.