New Orleans-fun bars for 40 somethings!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hubby and I are celebrating our 24th anniversary and heading to sweltering NO in early August. It's been about 23 years since we've been there. I've been tracking this forum for all of the restaurant and tour suggestions. What bars do you think us 40-ishers would enjoy? Thanks!
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 08:09 PM

We loved the Lobby Lounge at the Ritz. You can find the schedule during your visit at their website. If Karin Williams is performing, she is not to be missed! (Note, this room was freezing cold!)

This is quite a swanky room, but very welcoming and friendly with terrific service.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 08:34 PM

If you want a crazy time then check out The Cat's Meow. It is hysterical! Here is their site- www.catsmeow-neworleans.com/

Another more sedate place is the Carousel Bar in the Hotel Monteleone on Royal Street. It is a neat bar that looks like a carousel & revolves.

Here is a list that might have some ideas. Don't know how current it is but you can check. www.gumbopages.com/no-bars.html

Have fun & Happy Anniversary!
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 04:35 AM

We loved the Spotted Cat during our 20th celebration! Added plus... It's within a couple blocks of Marisols! Try to book a table in their courtyard for dinner, and then walk down the street for entertainment!
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 05:42 AM

Pat O'Briens -- a fun place at any age. Stop in for a pre-dinner or after dinner foo-foo drink. Besides their famous hurricanes, they have a large variety of flower/unbrella/fruit drinks. I don't think I would have dinner there.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 05:55 AM

I love listening to Big Al Carson at the Funky Pirate on Bourbon. A couple doors away is Fritzl's (sp), which sometimes has some very good international jazz. We also enjoy a drink at Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop.

Another favorite is Napoleon House, to have one of their Pimms Cups. Cool and refreshing drink on a hot day.

DBA on Frenchman has an amazing variety of beers. Snug Harbor looks fun, but we've never been.

We're 50+, so not looking for rowdy spots. A caveat, though, is I have only been there in the spring. I doubt if most of the above mentioned are air conditioned.

Jean
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 06:02 AM

If you are martini drinkers, a great spot with live music is the Bombay Club, it's a little hidden in the street, you have to follow the driveway in a bit, but it's worth it. Tons of fun when Johnny Angel is on stage (does swing, standards, other great music).

And I 2nd the suggestion for the Monteleone Carousel Bar - it is an actual carousel where the horses have been replaces with seats. Great fun! Good customers - you will definitely meet both other friendly locals and tourists.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 06:43 AM

We stay on Bourbon Street and last year watched Razoo's close at about 6:30 AM for just a little while and open back up rarin' and ready - It looked like a good time was had by all!!