Melville/Long Island

Search

Melville/Long Island

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Melville/Long Island

We are travelling to Melville for a regional baseball tournament with a team of 16 year old boys. We are staying at the Melville Marriott and looking for information on places to eat in the area. Would like info on casual restaurants, preferrably local, not chains. Is there anywhere with good food and "recreation" for the boys, i.e. large screen t.v., pool tables, ping pong? Sports type restaurants? What is a good pizzeria? Any suggested activities for "down time" when we're not playing? Any good shopping for the Moms? How far is Jones Beach or any other beach? Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 12:49 PM

Well... for things to do, nearby on the route 110 corridor you can find within 10 minutes of you:
-Walt Whitman mall - a medium sized enclosed shopping mall which the Mom's might like. Next to it is a Barnes & Nobles, and some other chain stores.

-AdventureLand - a small amusement park

-Jillians - which is a sports/games oriented chain - they might enjoy that. There is a also a Borders books, a good size multiplex, and some other things to do in the same complex

From Melville I think you are about equal distant from both Jones and Robert Moses beaches - probably 30 to 40 minutes to either.

If you want more local restaurants, the village center of Farmingdale isn't too far - that has some nice non-chain restaurants.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 12:49 PM

It's not an area I know well enough to give the kind of info you want Kathy, but here's a link to a map that allows you to search for things in the area.

http://mobile.yahoo.com/wifi/search?hsid=75470

Click map when you get there.

I do know there's a Walt Whitman Mall that's big. Since the hotel is on Walt Whitman road I imagine it's not far.

Melville falls right in the middle of Long Island (north to south) so it's not particularly close to either the ocean beaches or the bay, but not so far you couldn't drive it.

I think Teddy Roosevelt's house Sagamore Hill in Oyster Bay may not be too far. It's been years since I went there but it's filled with his animal trophies.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 01:42 PM

for the boys, the first answer covered all the bases.

for the moms...the Village of Huntington is not far at all. it's home to GREAT local restaurants, an awesome independent bookstore, lots of cute shops, with a nice mix of indepentant and chain places. it's a great, lively, downtown area with lots of personality. Some good restaurants are: BLue Honu, Fiddleheads New York, Aix, Tutto Pazzo. THE BEST PIZZA on the north shore is in the village...Little Vincents.

as far as beaches...you're closer to Robert Moses, definitely. there are also the North Shore beaches but there are no waves and they are rocky.

Old Jul 28th, 2004, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. Anyone else?
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 05:00 AM

Hmmm that's a tough one as you are staying in a mostly business area. you will have to travel a bit. On Melville Road, off 110, across from the college is a good Italian restaurant called Pasta Cuccina. In the village of Farmingdale (follow Melville Road West to Main Street - make left) there is Melanie's - an excellent American Continental restaurant in an old home (rumored to have been a bordello in the 1800s). It's right at the train tracks. Another place in Farmingdale Village is the Library, in an old library, pub type food. Walt Whitman mall (North on 110 about 5 miles) has a Legal Sea Foods and a California Pizza Kitchen. Upscale mall with Saks, Macys, Lord and Taylor and Bloomingdales. Across the street is one of those all you can eat Chinese buffets. On the way to the mall on 110 is the Laredo Grill - a mixture of southwestern and greek food (don't ask! but it is good) South of the Northern State Parkway (way before the mall) is Cirella's - excellent pastas, and also the Rosewood Grill - steaks, chicken, seafood, etc. Adventureland is great fun for old and young, and Jillians is always great - bowling, big screen TVs, video games, restaurants, etc. Have fun!
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 07:06 AM

There is also Adverntreland located right on rte 110 heading south, you cannot miss it due to the large Ferris Wheel which can be seen. Lots of fun, great rides and indoor video games and the typical kind of food pizza, hot dogs hamburgers cotton candy ice cream, etc..

I do not recommend going to Farmingdale however. Melanie's Bistro is not very good, in fact I got very ill after eating there. The town itself is hard to get around due to parking on the streets and it's kind of seedy.

You will find lots of great places to eat in and around Walt Whitman Mall (which is in Huntington Station and also on rte 110), and I suggest you venture to the town of Huntington, which is closer to Melville than Farmingdale (and much nicer IMHO). Huntington is a great town, very quaint and lots to see (plenty of parking) mostly non chain places to eat. If you go a mile or two west you will reach Cold Spring Harbor which is another nice town to see, very historic and beautiful.

Just to give you a scope, Melville is on the North shore and Jones Beach is on the south shore. due to treaffic it may take you a while to reach Jones. There are nice beaches on the North Shore toowhich may be esier for you to get to. There is Roosevelt beach which is very nice.

As far as shopping for moms...Walt Whitman Mall (bloomingdales, Saks, Lord and Taylor, Macy's and other shops as well as Pottery barn Williams Sonoma, Cold Water Creek, J.Jill) The town of Huntington is like a little Manhattan, you will love walking around to the different shops, antique stores and coffee houses and small restaurants. I live here and we go for the day (i'm 15 min away) - it's always fun in Huntington. It's very easy to get to from where you will be, as it is just drive north on rte 110!

here's a link to a map so you can see everything in relation to where you are.

www.citidexli.com/6188.htm

hope this helps you
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 09:27 AM

Annabel, sorry you got sick after eating at Melanie's. I've eaten there lots and lots of times, it is one of our favorites, and never had a problem.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 07:20 AM

Welcome to Long island. There is much to see and do here. If you take 110 south, you will reach Amityville. If you go right on Merrick Rd., it will take you to wantagh parkway which will take you to Jones beach. If you turn left you will go to captree crossway which will take you to Robet Moses beach. There you can enjoy the beach or go on a fishing boat for a few hours. the time from your hotel should be around 30-45 minutes depending on the traffic. But the trip is worthwhile.