Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC-My Favorite Hotel is Sold Out - Where to now ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2004, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have made a habit of staying at The Algonquin Hotel each time I visit New York City however this time I find it is sold out for three days late next week. May I have some recommendations for a hotel similar to the Algonquin that i have yet to find ?
Old May 13th, 2004, 05:31 AM

What is that you like so much?
That would help...
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Small, old world, character, understated elegance/luxury and wonderful location.
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:05 AM

Although the ambience tends towards modern luxury rather than old world, if the location is the biggest factor for you, try the City Club hotel in the same block as the Algonquin. Recenetly stayed there and was very pleased. It's small, service oriented and obviously in a great location.
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:14 AM

You liked City Club?
I hated it!
I did like the size of the hotel and the beds/bath were a plus but there were so many negatives.
Bad elevator, slow, when it worked.
TV that could only be seen with all the lights off.
The smell from the restaurant permiated my room which really made us ill. The strong smell of clarifying butter is nice for about 2 minutes... then the fish smell.
Location was great, employees were ok.
If you can get a GREAT price, maybe.
Read Tripadvisor.com on this one!
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:43 AM

SydneySteve,

Do consider the InterContinental Central Park South. It's a great old building that has been updated since IC took over the property a few years ago.

It has a small, understated lobby. The views of Central Park are spectacular.

JoeG
Old May 13th, 2004, 08:28 AM

The Algonquin is one of a kind. If you stay there often you know for location, the Iroquois & the Sofitel are on the same street. The Iroquois I think dates originally from the same era, but has been redone recently. I hear some of the rooms are very small, but I've heard that complaint about the Algonquin too. The Sofitel is new.

The only other smallish boutique hotel I can think of in the theater district is the Michelangelo which is very well liked by Fodorites. It doesn't have the history of the Algonquin though.

The Warick Hotel has a similar feel & is about 10 blocks north on about 54th & 6th. I don't think it has quite the same "elegance" though.

JoeG's suggestion of the Intercontinental is a good one if you would like Central Park South

On the east side, the Drake Swissotel is smallish, Eurpopean feeling, on Park & 56th st.

The Lowell, also on the east side (near Bloomingdales) has a similar feel to the Algonquin (and a good steakhouse in the lobby called The Post House) but will probably be much more $$$ because their rooms are all suites.

If you really want to stay at the Algonquin, book somewhere else cancellable & tell the Algonquin to put you on a waiting list in case of a cancellation.
Old May 13th, 2004, 08:49 AM

We stayed at the Gorham last Aug and loved it. (57th betw 6th and 7th). It's been renovated and now called The Blakely. Just a thought.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

I just wanted to report back to tell you that I thought the City Club was awful. Overpriced, smaller rooms and beds than I have ever experienced anywhere. Grumpy spaced-out people, weird culture from the Le Gooster background music to the poorly dressed and presented doormen that looked like underpaid security guards, smelly and not the real Frette sheets. I moved out and pleaded with the people at the Algonquin and managed to stay there for the remainder of my time in NYC.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 08:50 PM

We love the Algonquin. Right next door is the Sofitel. Fri/Sat/Sun rates are $189, Mon-Thurs $259 through a special promotion. If you e-mail me [email protected], I'll dig through my desk for the details. Even when staying at the Algonquin, we wander over to the Sofitel for breakfast, the cocktail lounge, late night dinner, etc. Obviously, while staying so close, you can wander over the the Algonquin. Also nice and in the same block are the Iroquois, Mansfield and Royalton.

But, did you phone the Algonquin? Sometimes their online booking service shows no rooms available when there are rooms...I found this out once when three different weekends all seemed to have no availability. I thought this strange, so phoned, and sure enough there was availability.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 08:51 PM

See there? Wasn't paying attention!
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

djkbooks - you have raised a good point - I think you do get a better deal if you call the Algonquin Hotel direct rather than going through their hotel group booking service on the net.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 08:14 AM
GoTravel

I feel for you Steve. Reading this, except for location, I don't see how City Club and the Algonquin have anything in common.

Aside from mclauries excellent suggestions, the Michelangelo came to mind.