New York Desert Spot for a special after dinner treat

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a lovely dinner I would like to stop for a nice elegant (romantic) desert.... maybe Tiramisu, Cappuccino, Chocolate, etc. We are dining at Erminia (Upper East Side?)

Suggestions appreciated !!

Desert with the woman of my dreams ... ohhh by the way staying at the Four Seasons.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 05:40 PM
mp

There are no deserts in NYC. It's a temperate climate.

Sorry. couldn't resist.

Dessert after a special evening. If you don't want room service from the Four Seasons (my choice - I spent my wedding night there) I'd suggest a nice walk from Erminia down to Payard (lex and 73rd) - fantastic, opulent French pastries. But if she's dressed up (heels) a cab might be in order. People will suggest Serendipity, but well, i've always thought it was tacky. For a "cool" place, near your hotel with a terrific dessert menu, try Brasserie at 100 E. 53rd

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 07:01 PM

Serendipity...maybe for a gaggle of girlfriends more than a romantic couple.

If you want something romantic and a little different try the "white plate" at Vong. It's a decadent assortment of their hand crafted dessert delights. The atmosphere of the restaurant whether in the lounge area in front or at a table is definitely romantic. Their after dinner drink menu is extensive as well. Vong 54th & 3rd www.jean-georges.com YUM!
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 02:39 PM

You've gotten some good ideas so far. I'd agree that while Serendipity has good ice cream sundaes, it's not terribly romantic. Another poster here has mentioned going to Daniel for dessert. I've never tried it (just dessert) but that's a nice idea & it's sort of on the way home for you.

Cafe Sabarsky at the Neue Museum (5th ave & 86th) has great pastry & coffee in a pretty setting (not far from Erminia) but not sure how late they stay open.

Kings Carriage House is lovely and only a block away from Erminia (82 st) Not sure if they'll just do dessert (they serve an afternoon tea though).

I recently ate at David Burke & Donatella (east 61 st). They're famous for their lollipop cheese cake tree. I think you could stop in to the bar for this.

But since you're in NYC, maybe someplace with a view? Top of the Tower at the Beekman Tower Hotel also has live piano music (not sure if their desserts are any good.) The Rainbow Room? Cafe des Artistes also has nice desserts but it's on the other side of town.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 03:54 PM

Here's another vote for Vong. The passion fruit souffle is the best thing I've ever tasted in my life!!!