Nevermind how I got it...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

..but I have a certificate for a free round trip plane fare and 2nights at a Mariott hotel anywhere in the US.

Caveat: plane trip can be scheduled at any time, so the possibility of a later flight and later arrival is there. So I think a short hop flight is best for us.

We live in Ft. Lauderdale. Looking at going in early May. Have never been to Charleston, and not to NOLA in a number of years, so these are on the map. Any other suggestions. We love trying new restaurants, local history, jazz/blues/folk music venues.

Any recommendations?
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 10:10 AM

Lucky you! I would go to Charleston. It is beautiful in early May. I can't rate the music scene, maybe GoT can give you some inside on that. The restaurants, local history and architecture are outstanding. And Charleston gardens are quite fabulous. Enjoy your trip where ever you end up!
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 10:30 AM
pdx

Arizona, Nevada and anywhere desert-y would be a good choice and a huge change of scenery from FLL and glorious weather in May. Not a short flight but worth the chance on a freebie.
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Hey CMCFong, thanks for the headsup on Charleston. Anybody have NOLA thoughts, or somewhere else in eastern US?

Also never been to Boston. How does that sound.

Thanks PDX, but will save AZ for later. (Have family in Phoenix)
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Amy

May is a lovely time in Philadelphia http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/334838255hjfcWf and it certainly has the required restaurants http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...iladelphia.cfm, tons of local history http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...-itinerary.cfm, and
music venues like www.warmdaddys.com and others that you can find on www.phillyjazz.org

(Hmmm, that might be a little links-heavy, eh? Let's just say that if you haven't been to Philadelphia--or if it's been a while--you need to visit.)
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 11:06 AM

Early May is JazzFest in New Orleans. I definitely recommend that! it can, however, be very hot by then or occasionally very rainy. I don't know that I would chose NOLA unless you want to go to the fest.

May is not a bad month for Boston either, it can be very nice, spring weather.

We did Charleston in mid/late April last year and it was gorgeous. All of those are excellent choices.
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 12:07 PM

Could one of the choices be to pay for a 3rd or 4th night at the hotel or are you really limited to 2 nights?
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 01:21 PM

My vote would be for Charleston especially since you have never been there, rncheyrl. It is such a beautiful city and the residents are so lovely to the tourist. And early May should be wonderful. Anyway, that would be my choice.
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

really limited to 2 nights

Had a bad experience in Philly once, long story but not too friendly people, and don't want to go back.

Looking more like Charleston is the pick. Thanks to everyone.

Will post later about what to do/where to eat in Charleston.

Thanks to all!
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 01:31 PM

I'd save Charleston for another time - you can drive there. With two free tickets anywhere in the U.S., set your sights farther - like Boston. If you would consider staying a couple of extra nights (yes, you would pay for these) why not go to the West Coast - like San Diego or San Francisco?
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Amy

*makes puppy dog eyes*
There's lots of us who are nice! Really!!
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 02:23 PM

While my first thought was Boston, I discarded the idea as taking too long a flight for 2 nights. Then I discovered there are no non-stop flights from South Florida (FLL, MIA or PBI) to Charleston - so it takes less time to get to Boston than Charleston. And hotels are more expensive in Boston. So reconsider and go to Boston (although it really would be a better time if you could add another night)
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 03:56 PM

Early May (for at least the first two weeks) is not the best time to visit Boston - usually it is rainy and cool (so bring rain gear if you plan to come then - you will need it). This year that weather extended well into June! On the other hand, things finally start blooming in May, so it can be pretty. Late May is better weather, but even then it can still be a bit cool at times.

FWIW - My mom has been to visit from Florida several times in May, and after the last time she had had enough. She came in August this year!
Old Oct 11th, 2009, 05:59 AM

Charleston is expensive in spring-the Spoleto Festival makes it get crowded. However, the weather is gorgeous that time of year and the gardens are in full flush. It's hard to fly in directly.

Restaurant recs are Magnolia's, 82 Queen, SNOB, and about a billion others. Just know that, if you come during Spoleto, you have to be prepared to wait. And make reservations.
Old Oct 11th, 2009, 10:25 AM

Lucky! Absolutely do Charleston! And, I second Magnolia's and the billion others along with suewoo.

btw, how'd ya get it? Sorry, just couldn't resist!
Old Oct 11th, 2009, 10:52 AM

Jestine's, Blossom's, Fig, Fish, Atlanticville, Poe's, La Fourchette, Fast and French.....
Old Oct 11th, 2009, 03:33 PM

Oh dear, Boston or Charleston? That's a tough choice. In May, I'd pick Charleston. I lived in Boston for seven years and it remains one of my favorite cities in the world, but May is graduation time and Boston is a zoo! Both are beautiful so this is a win win choice.
Have fun whichever one you pick!