Need info on Interval timeshare in Florida gulf region

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2004, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to use our Interval International membership to book 2 weeks in Florida this winter. Any recommendations? We will be coming from Canada so would like warmth! Thinking of end of Feb/1st part of March? Also thinking of Sarasota, Sanibel/Captiva areas? Anyone have any experience with these condos? We'd prefer something more "cozy" than big high rise development.
Old May 11th, 2004, 02:13 PM

Try Estero Island Beach Club in Fort Myers Beach. We stay there in Dec.

There is an original Building and across the property and 2 pools (heated) is another of newer construction. The older bldg. is a converted motel-but - the units are larger than in the new bldg. We stay in the older one.
Old May 11th, 2004, 02:15 PM

Forgot to mention-on a beautiful stretch of beach and walk to restaurants and shops.

I don't work or own there!
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:17 PM
LN

Sounds like you'd like Veranda Beach on Longboat Key Florida which is a II property. It's on a barrier island outside sarasota. I used to own a timeshare there and the condos are great. It's not a high rise and the units are large, the pool is indoors and outdoors, plus it's on one of the most beautiful beaches ever made. Why don't I own it anymore - cause I bought a place on Longboat Key so I could spend more time there.
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:33 PM

If you're thinking of the Tampa/St. Pete area. the Redington Ambassador in North Redington Beach is about the best there is in the area. It is ON the beach (open a gate and you're in the sand). It is small, only about 40 units on 5 floors, and it is an II resort. I'm a little biased, of course, cause I'm an owner of a week.
Fred
Old May 13th, 2004, 02:39 AM

Sanibel Cottages

http://www.360virtualtours.net/Sanibel/Index.htm

I've exchanged here a couple of times and loved it. It may be impossible to get certain times in winter as the owners here are very loyal to their places. LMF
Old May 13th, 2004, 02:55 AM

Have you checked out the Timeshare Users Group BBS at www.tug2.net? It's a BBS devoted to and run by timeshare owners and want to be owners. It has many people who have stayed in t/s around the world. Anyone can go in and check the BBS out, but Members have access to reviews of t/s units and let you know the best places to go and what to avoid. SW FL is one of the hardest places to exchange into, unless you have a very strong trader. Hope you find something.
Old May 14th, 2004, 07:53 AM

LN..I'm interested to know the time you would recommend coming..as you can see I'm also a "canuck". We're thinking of the Sarasota/Ft Myers area either the first two weeks of March (before our spring break) or after spring break -March 26 for two weeks. Will the weather be significantly better later in March? Also a dumb question perhaps but what about hurricane season? I'm thinking of being on that little piece of land and having a hurricane hitting!
Old May 14th, 2004, 07:57 AM

Marco Island has several smack on the beach. Check out RCI or any of the other timeshare websites for a listing.
Old May 14th, 2004, 09:26 AM
LN

Hi Canuck

Either time period would be delightful. March is the most sought after month in this section of the Florida gulf. February through May is actually great on the island too.

Hurricane season is in the fall and when they predict that a hurricane is coming they just evacuate everyone to the mainland. Back in 1998 they predicted that a hurricane was going to hit land on the gulf side between the Keys and Longboat Key - I couldn't believe it as we had just purchased our home there. Luckily it didn't hit the island.

You would feel quite at home on Longboat as we have many Canadian owners and visitors.

Enjoy...
Old May 14th, 2004, 09:40 AM

Bashful, how are you enjoying being a timeshare owner? I've been following another thread for someone who wants more information and the feedback has been negative. Perhaps you can spread some insight.
Old May 14th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Hi India...I wish I could tell you more. But the timeshare is actually my son's and he has graciously given us 2 weeks as a gift! (re-reading my post, I shouldn't have said "our membership"!) I know his "home" base is in Mexico and we all (as a family) went to a Marriott outside Disney and it was fabulous. My son and his wife purchased their timeshare while on their honeymoon in Mexico and since then have only been able to use it a few times - twice back to their place in Mexico, one week in Las Vegas and the other in Disney. They have now bought a house (with a pool) and find their money is going into that. And it is pretty expensive to get flights to many of the places (except Florida)..almost as cheap to get a package deal with hotel included. But all in all, I don't think they have any regrets. We will pay for their yearly fee for 2005 as a "thank you" for their very generous gift!
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:07 AM

That's wonderful Bashful. I just wanted someone who actually owned a timeshare to go to that thread because there's a lot of negativity there but LM set it all straight.
Old May 17th, 2004, 03:23 AM

India, if you would like more information on timeshares from people who own, I suggest you go to the Timeshares Users Group BBS at www.tug2.net There is an interesting thread going on there now on the buying, selling section under *how old are you? buying or selling* You will find many who own t/s's and enjoy their ownership.

I know we do. We've own 3, buying our first in '83 and have gone on many wonderful vacations to places we would never have been able to afford...or even thought of before.