Florida Beach Recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I are planning a 7 day trip to FL this May (before Memorial Day weekend) with our 2 yr. old son. We're looking forward to a relaxing "hangout" on the beach type of vacation. We don't like crowded beaches or real touristy locations. Of course, we love good food so we'd love to have a variety of great restaurants to chose from. It would also be wonderful if the location had a few things to do other than the beach if we decided to take a break one day. We'd also like to chose a place that would be nice to take walks with our son in the evening. And lastly, I love crafty/artsy items so if there are some cool shops in town that's a perk for me.

I've read a lot of messages about Sunset Beach, Siesta Key, Sanibel, Treasure Island, Captiva, and Venice. One of my concerns about Sanibel are the shells. Are there so many shells my 2 yr. old would find it uncomfortable? We've taken him to Hawaii and the beaches in CA and he loves the beach but I'm concerned about the shells.

Also, do you think we would have to rent a car or is it possible to have everything within walking distance?

If you can give me some comments on these beaches and whether or not they seem to meet our criteria that would be helpful. If you have other FL beach recommendations, I'm all ears.

Thank you,
Alsbach
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 11:37 AM
bamakelly

Sanibel and Captiva are nice. The shells are abundant, but there are areas of mostly sand as well.

You might consider Seaside in the panhandle as well. Garrett realty rents reasonable places in nearby Seagrove, and Seaside is everything you just described.

I'd probably rent a car for both places.

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 11:44 AM

I think you should come to Siesta Key. Siesta has beautiful powder sand that your son will be able to walk on. I'm not sure about the shells on Sanibel. You should be able to find great rates and stay on the beach and close to the village. My friends stay on Siesta when they visit from England because there is always something to do. The hotel they stay at is the Casa Blanca. www.thecasablanca.net. I hope you come to visit our beautiful area.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 03:05 PM

We just got back from St. George's Island on the panhandle. It is near Apalachicola, which is a pretty town, well worth walking through with a lot of cute shops, more for looking than buying, unless money is not a concern. Apalachicola is very popular with fishermen. Your 2 year old might be interested in all the boats. The oysters there are famous, so I ate a lot of them, and they were good. Of course this is March, but it didn't seem crowded or especially touristy. I came home feeling very relaxed.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 03:46 AM

St. George is very untouristy and before Memorial Day it will be very uncrowded. For the nicest accomodations and the most privacy, stay in the Plantation on the west end of the island. There aren't many restaurants to choose from but right across the bridge in Apalachicola there are several. The downside (or some would say the upside) would be that there isn't much to do other than enjoy the beach.

The Seaside/Watercolor area is more upscale and the beach is prettier there. Seaside is also a great place to walk and bicycle. There are some little shops, and good restaurants along hwy 30A. You are also about 25 minutes from Destin.

beachesofsouthwalton.com
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 04:02 AM

How about Amelia Island?
www.ameliaisland.org
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 05:07 AM

Whether you are driving or flying might play a part in your decision. It is easy and inexpensive to fly to Tampa, Sarasota, St. Pete, Ft. Meyers area beaches but might be more expensive or take more time to get to some of the more remote areas.