Need help with Thanksgiving plans

Sep 9th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Need help with Thanksgiving plans

Hello,
Last year I planned my trip to Italy and Greece by reading all of the great advice I received from you all. I was not unhappy with any of the places we stayed or services we used.
I need advice now on a Thanksgiving week trip with myself, husband and 10 year old grandson. We want to go someplace cold that has a festive Christmas atmosphere. We have lived in the South for the past 12 years and I miss cold winter days.
I have been considering Colorado, but haven't ruled out anything so far, except going abroad. Thank you in advance for all of you help

Chamm
Sep 9th, 2005, 12:33 PM

How about New England? I can picture the "family holiday" at somewhere like the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe, Vermont for example.
Sep 9th, 2005, 12:36 PM
GoTravel

How about Whistler or Baniff Springs in Canada? Both would be lovely.

So much of Canada would be gorgeous!

Sep 9th, 2005, 12:43 PM

I sound like a broken record but...
I LOVE ASPEN!

Check out www.aspensnowmass.com and think about dinner at the Pine Creek Cookhouse which is a beautiful large log cabin out in the mountains that you get to by sleigh pulled by huge draft horses or by cross country skis if you're feeling frisky. Great menu and preparation. I think their website is www.pinecreekcookhouse.com if you are interested.
Sep 9th, 2005, 12:45 PM

We stayed at a sensational place in Estes Park, CO....Taharaa Mountain Lodge, go to their website, plenty to do, but no skiing.
Sep 9th, 2005, 12:56 PM

BTW, in Aspen, the Hotel Jerome is a beautiful old hotel from the silver mining era. Little Nell is THE boutique hotel in town. Check out their pics online. Thanksgiving weekend is early season (only Aspen MT. will be open then, not Snowmass, Buttermilk, or Highlands) so hotel rates are more reasonable than later in the season. There are plenty of less expensive places to stay in town but for great holiday atmosphere those two would be good choices.
Sep 9th, 2005, 02:40 PM

Definitely Stowe, Vermont
Sep 9th, 2005, 03:46 PM

Longfellow's Wayside Inn, Sudbury, MA--if there's any chance you can still get a reservation, even if only for dinner. Real colonial atmosphere.