Need help with hotels in LA & San Diego

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2003, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan on taking a week vacation and spliting the time between LA and San Diego. We are looking for very nice hotels. The most important attributes that we like are: the aesthetics of the hotel and grounds, the pool and the service. We have 2 boys ages 8 & 10. My children are well mannered, as such, have no problem in hotels that are somewhat subdued. I would really appreciate any recommendations. Thank you in advance.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 05:58 AM

I had a great experience at the Sheraton in San Diego. Although we don't have kids, there were tons there. I found San Diego hotels to be very expensive and thought that this property is more reasonable than some others. Stay in the West Tower for very big rooms. Request a view of the bay (not the marina side). They have a couple suites on floors 10 and 11 with a murphy bed and couch in one room and king size bed in the other. Two tvs, two balconies, great views. A couple cons: near the airport.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 07:09 AM

In the Los Angeles area, I recommend the Fairmont Miramar in Santa Monica. It's a historic property (in operation since 1921) with lovely grounds, a nice pool, a health club and day spa, and lots of area attractions. It's on a bluff overlooking the Pacific, and it's a short walk to the Santa Monica Pier.

The Beverly Hills Hotel has very pretty grounds, and you can't get much more historic than this place! It's quite well-maintained and swank.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 07:51 AM

in college, i used to babysit for hotel guests. most commonly, i was called to:

Hotel del Coronado
Marriott Marina
Four Seasons Aviara in Carlsbad (north of San Diego, but still very accessible to the main attractions. Legoland is there.)

each of these hotels is in a very different part of San Diego. For example, Coronado is in the south, accessible over a bridge. it's a quaint little town that's very popular with tourists. Marriott Marina is in downtown SD and will provide an active nightlife and plenty of restaurants in the neaby Gaslamp District. It's also pretty easy to get to other attractions. The four seasons is north, and gets rave reviews for its family programs, pool, views, service, etc.

good luck with your search and have a great trip.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 09:02 AM

In San Diego I higly recommend the Pacific Terrace Hotel. Right on the beach, lovely swimming pool, nice breakfast buffet. I think they have family size rooms in addition to suites. Not a large hotel, nice balconies, some kitchenettes. We have had a good time there and found the service friendly and helpful.

www.pacificterrace.com

Old Aug 5th, 2003, 10:13 AM

There is a ton of nice hotels in this area.. the Sheraton Kindra mentioned is really nice, and so is the Fairmont Mirimar is really nice as well... I suggest that you check out orbitz as well.. they have pretty accurate star ratings of their hotels, and you can get a pretty good on them as well.. have a great vacation
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 12:16 PM
hsv

tomct,

I, too, would also consider
Fairmont Miramar in Santa Monica, you might also take the Regent Beverly Wilshire inot consideration.
In San Diego, I would consider the Westgate Hotel, which is very traditional and oozes luxury and efficiency (no pool to my knowledge, though) or, if you want to be on the beach, the Hotel Del Coronado.

Old Aug 5th, 2003, 01:55 PM

The Fairmont Miramar and Beverly Hills Hotel are great LA suggestions.

I would include Hotel Bel Air - very posh, secluded, beautiful grounds (but a car ride from everything off-site).

The Ritz Carlton Huntington Hotel in Pasadena is another beautiful choice.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 02:30 PM

I always forget about the Hotel Bel Air! It is pretty wonderful. I assume there's a pool at the Peninsula in Beverly Hills (I could be wrong)-- and that's a VERY high-end establishment. Anyone have thoughts on that place?