Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

suite hotel recommendations in San Diego and Santa Monica areas?

Jan 3rd, 2003, 01:51 AM
Lynsey

Hi, we are looking for a couple of nice 4* quality suite hotels in the San Diego and Santa Monica areas. Any suggestions for both a new or newly refurbished hotel with pool in a nice part of town? If you can recommend an area rather than a particular hotel that would be very helpful too. We plan to stay 5 nights in San Diego and 3 in LA/Santa Monica. We won't be visiting Disney but will try to get to maybe Knotts Berry, San Diego zoo and some of the other touristy sights like Beverly Hills and Hollywood, Coronado Island etc...

Jan 4th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Lynsey

Anyone out there? Just joking, thought I'd push my post back up the top of the list in the hope of some replies, thanks. We will be visiting from Europe and haven't been to California before. Thank you for any assistance.

Jan 4th, 2003, 01:32 PM
Tess

I currently have reservations at the Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego, and while I have not been there yet I have read some decent reviews which lead me to believe it will live up to all expectations. Pictures show a fantastic view of the bay or the city, depending on where your room is located.

It's also right on the Trolly line, a huge plus if you're not driving, and centrally located for many of San Diego's attractions. The only drawback I've read so far is construction of a second tower (?), but for that fabulous view I'm willing to put up with some small potential inconvenience.

Jan 6th, 2003, 04:36 AM
xxx

Embassy suites on San Diego Bay is nice.

Jan 6th, 2003, 04:27 PM
Lubi

We stayed at the Pacific Terrace Hotel in Pacific Beach in November, and loved it. They have a variety of suites with huge bathrooms and kitchenettes - we had an executive suite and can thoroughly recommend it. The staff at the hotel were very helpful too. Enjoy...

Jan 6th, 2003, 04:31 PM
ann

the Embassy Suites San Diego bay is not nice. It is a dump, unless its been totally overhauled in the last 18 months...
Now the Embassy Suites La Jolla is very nice...

Jan 6th, 2003, 04:40 PM
Janet

The Hyatt hotel, Marriott Hotel and Embassy Suites are all located near the gaslamp area downtown. The trolley is great for getting around certain areas, but a car is necessary. The gaslamp is full of great restaurants and shopping. You didn"t say when you were coming and if there were kids. If you had kids I would suggest you stay around Mission Beach. The Catamaran, Pacific Shores are real nice hotels with the Catamaran being my favorite.