Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need help with finding a not too expensive breakfast place in NYC.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2003, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got The Swissotel New York- The Drake on Priceline for $125.00 in July. I understand from reading the reviews that the resturant there is very high. We would like to eat breakfast every day while we are there but, it can cost 50.00 for two people at that resturant! Can anyone help me with a place we could go eat that's near the Drake for breakfast that won't "eat our Lunch"? I appreciate it. Thanks
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 03:40 AM

There are many places around the area that serve cheaper meals. There are many delis that serve eggs, bagels, fruit, muffins, etc. Walk over to Lexington Avenue for those. If you walk over to either 3rd or 2nd Avenue you can find several diners which serve breakfast for $5-$10.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 05:52 AM
JVS

That area (Park Ave/56th)gouges the tourists. I suggest venturing to another neighborhood. For example,(all approx $25/2 people incl tip.)

Mayrose on B'Way/23rd is a fun diner-y place with huge windows for people watching

Grange Hall: 50 Commerce St. (Barrow St.) Postcard-worthy Village block, with Midwest farm grub and a nostalgic WPA atmosphere.

Old Jun 27th, 2003, 08:55 AM

There's a Burger Heaven on the west side of Madison Ave. betw. 54-55th. They have tables and a counter. Haven't had breakfast there but their burgers are great.

I think there's a 2 story sandwich type place on the east side of Park Ave between 54-55th. On Lexington between 53-54 there's a Cosi (chain of sandwich/delis) and a Starbucks.

If you just want coffee and a croissant or brioche, the Brasserie on 53rd betw Park & Lexington is famous. Sit at the counter and people watch.

For a dinner treat, go to Le Colonial on 57th betw. Lex & 3rd for Vietnamese & great ambiance.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 09:08 AM

If you're planning to check out the Soho area at all (great shopping!) head down there early and have breakfast at Balthazar ... great, quaint and delicious!
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate so much your replies. Your recommendations will come in handy.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 09:39 AM

I doubt if the Brasserie would be any cheaper than their hotel restaurant.

It's a difficult area to find an inexpensive but pleasant place to sit down and have breakfast close by. Every place I can think of that would be worthwhile is at least a 15 minute walk from the hotel.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 10:41 AM

There is a diner on 55th Street between Third & Lexington called the New Lex Coffee Shop. Perfectly acceptable & reasonably priced.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 12:57 PM
GoTravel

If you pass Ess-A-Bagel, go in and buy as many as you can. If not, I think H&H may be close to you.

Old Jun 28th, 2003, 04:08 AM

Great idea GoTravel. There IS an Ess-a-bagel on 3rd ave betw 50-51 that I forgot about. So Trisha, among Burger Heaven, Cosi, The New Lex coffe shop, Ess-A-Bagel and the place I mentioned on Park Ave (I think it might be Pret A Manger) you should be set. While, it's true the Brasserie will be expensive (I checked their menu & a croissant is $5!) the area is by no means lacking in choices. You'll have a great time.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ya'll for your suggestions. I was looking on my streets and trips software. I noticed a food exchange on 59th and Lexington Ave. Their menu is very reasonable too so, I do think we will be able to eat on this trip. We are going to the Bronx's Zoo / Yankee game the very next morning when we get there so I wanted to eat also, near a subway . It looks like The Food Exchange is near one. Thanks , for your help everybody. You gave me several different places to eat everyday.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 07:04 AM

There's a little deli across the street from the New Yor Sheraton Towers on seventh avenue. Everytime I go to New York, I eat there. You walk up to the counter and order. A fried egg & cheese bale is something like $3.00! They have a HUGE menu though and everything is very reasonably priced. I see a lot of locals in there in the mornings looking like they are heading to work. There are seats to sit and eat. The food is cheap and good. I think the name of the place is the 810 seventh avenue Deli
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 08:12 AM
Bo

I too recommend Ess-a-bagel for breakfast that should EASILY cost you under $5 (and IMO it's the best bagel in NYC). It's also counter service with tables available, so you'll also save the money you'd otherwise spend on a tip.

For lunch, you should be far enough away from your hotel doing 'touristy' things that you'll not likely be confined to that area of the city.

Some great cheap eats:
Chinatown: Wonton Garden on Mott for great noodle soups and other dishes (since it's july you may not want soup, but their "noodle and dumpling" plates are great too, and about $5). Almost anyplace in this area will allow you an affordable meal

Jackson Hole: 3rd Ave and 35th St location for one of the best burgers the city offers.

Pizza: everyone has their favorites, but most of mine are 'pie only' places and better for a big lunch or even dinner (Lombardi's in SoHo and Grimaldi's in DUMBO come to mind, and if for dinner, John's on 44th St has a nice atmosphere and a good pie)

Chinese: even outide of chinatown, many places have lunch specials for $5-$6.

If you have get an unlimited MetroCard (which i recommend), you can get to anyplace in Manhattan (or the outer-boroughs for that matter) for free, so don't feel confined to your hotel area.

Since your stomach hasn't built up a resistance to it, i would stay away from the 'street meat' cart vendors as you don't want to spoil your vacation with an upset stomach.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 06:20 PM

Trisha,
We just got back from staying at the Swissotel/Drake and on the advice of the desk clerk ate breakfast yesterday at a little place called the Palace Restaurant, over and up one block from the Drake. It's easy to spot.. look for the red awning. We had great omelettes, potatoes and toast for 4.95 each. BTW, we were very happy with the hotel ($125/Priceline). The beds were plush and comfy and the bathroom was quite roomy.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 06:55 PM

I also love Ess-a-bagel. Also on Madison Ave. there are two diner-type places called Viand which serve traditional type breakfasts. My favorite breakfast place is in Tribeca called Kitchenette.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate so much your suggestions. I have printed them out and put them in my folder. I also, appreciate the review on the Swissotel .I look forward to staying there. I am so ready to go . Cannot wait! Thanks!