Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

good bagel/all-purpose deli near Hotel Beacon on Upper West Side in NYC?

Old Mar 12th, 2003, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Staying at Hotel Beacon, Broadway bet/ 74th & 75th Sts: OK, before you jump me, I know that Citarella and Fairway are right across the street, and that Zabars and H&H Bagels are just a few blocks away. But these are take out places, and I'm wondering about a place where we can get our bagels w/ whatever toppings (or hot breakfast sandwich) and sit there to watch the world go by. I'm *not* saying that Citarella, H&H, etc., aren't good, just looking for a place to people-watch.

So, I'm wondering if there's one of the bagel/deli/food bar kind of places nearby? Places I'm comparing to are Taj's Deli (lower 90s, UWS), and the place we frequented while staying at the Hilton New York, on 53rd St across from the hotel's parking garage.

We've done some wandering in this area and haven't seen anything like I'm talking about, but, of course, we haven't been everywhere!

Any advice?
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 06:56 PM

The only deli that fits your requirements is Artie's @ Broadway & 83rd St. The food is excellent, and there is both sidewalk seating and insode window seating where you can watch the world go by on a very popular stretch of the UWS - both Barnes & Noble and the VERY popular Ouest Restaurant are across the st.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 05:14 AM

Fairway does have a sit-down restaurant upstairs. I don't know if you can get close enough to the window to watch the world go by, but there's a lot of world going by in the store itself!
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 01:28 PM

here are a couple of suggestions:

There used to be a diner ("American Restaurant"??)right next to the Beacon Hotel that should be a good bet for inexpensive breakfast. If not, try: the burger/Pizza place across the avenue and one block up, called "Big Nick's", I think. It's a typical greek diner and they serve breakfasts too (at least they did!). On Amsterdam avenue (one avenue east) there are a few choices:
A diner called "Shining Star" (or something close--I'm bad on names today!) at 77th or 78th street. Next block up is a kosher bagel and pizza place.
Further up Amsterdam, past 79th are lots more restaurants, places that are more brunch-like than breakfasty.

On Broadway, there are a few places I know a few blocks south: Hot & Crusty
bakery (sort of like Tal's that you mentioned ) on the west side of the avenue at 71st street, and another place ("City Market??"on Bdwy between 71st and 72nd on the East side of the street.

All of these have places to sit and eat, (as does a small Zabar's cafe next to the main store) and you can usually get a bagel w/flavored cream cheese for about $2.50, the diner type places usually have breakfast platters for about $5.00. Also, there are a few Starbuck's and smilar chains nearby, and most serve pastries, plain bagels, light sandwiches
There are more places if you're wiiling to walk a few more blocks or are looking for more specific food. You certainly won't go hungry!
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 01:44 PM

If it's warm out, grab some bagels at H&H then head down 79th Street (just a couple blocks) to the Hudson River. Riverside Park is great for sitting & people-watching.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 01:56 PM
Rob

THE American Restaurant in the Beacon closed ages ago. A new one opened about 2 months ago. It is a diner type restaurant. There is a franchise restaurant (the name escapes me) but it is on the northeast corner of Broadway at 76th. A very popular place ƒor breakfast/lunch ( expensive) is Barney Greengrass (The Sturgeon King) on Amsterdam and 86h St. A regular deli, Fine and Shapiro, is on 72nd between Amsterdam and Columbus (south side of 72nd)
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 02:03 PM

Rob, I wasn't sure about "The American Restaurant" but I thought I saw something diner-like in its place after some renovations (new windows?).
Not sure of the franchise place you're thinking of--maybe a Subway's (on the same block as Ruby Foo's)?
Anyway, still lots of choices for msmiller
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Rob

I think the franchise place is called Cosi or something similar.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the great suggestions. We've been to Artie's for lunch, but not breakfast, and were planning a trip to Barney Greengrass this time, even though we're not huge "sturgeon" lovers. I do love the salmon/lox spread you can get for bagels...

Speaking of Barney Greengrass, is it usually really crowded? Is there a good time to go? We'll be there Easter weekend and a couple of days on either side. How expensive is "expensive"?

Thanks to Janie for correcting me: "Tal's," not "Taj"--duh.

We haven't investigated Amsterdam very thoroughly, but will now!

How on *earth* can you check out everything in this city?!?! It's just amazing to me.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 07:16 AM

Barney Greengrass is crazy busy at brunch time (say 11 am till 2 or 3 Saturdays and Sundays. I think weekdays would be considered practically empty. Me, I'm not much for crowds so I haven't been there in ages but prices are probably in the $9-$12 range for a huge omelette or a bagel and smoked fish platter. Not obscenely expensive, but about double what a weekday breakfast in a diner would cost.
Amsterdam Avenue has become a very varied inexpensive restaurant row over the past 10 years. If you're not sure what you're in the mood to eat, but don't want to spend a fortune and make reservations in advance, you can find about 20 restaurants, on next to the other on the stretch between 79th street and 83rd, on both sides of the streets. Many more than either Broadway or Columbus avenue (one avenue over) , though Columbus looks like it's picking up again