Breakfast in NYC

Old Jul 11th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Breakfast in NYC

I have found these diners that I think are close to my hotel on W 51st St. Applejack Diner, Morning Star, and Sixth Ave. Cafe. Anyone recommend these, prices, and are they within walking distance?
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 02:24 PM

Don;t know anything about any of these places (never worked near there) but it sounds like they're within 5/10 minutes of your hotel - you don;t mention where on W51st.

You can check for places on menupages.com - which has diner reviews and menus as well as ability to search by location and cuisine.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 02:37 PM

The Art Cafe on Broadway and 52 st is very good for breakfast.
http://menupages.com/restaurantdetai...=0&cuisineid=0
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 03:19 PM
GoTravel

I would walk over to Pick-A-Bagel on the southwest corner of West 57th and Seventh Avenue and get a fresh cup of coffee and a homemade muffin or bagel.

Cheap and excellent. Be prepared to wait because there is always a line.

You can walk right up to Central Park and have your breakfast in the park. It is two blocks north.

Old Jul 11th, 2006, 06:04 PM

You could also try le Pain Quotidien at 7th & 58th St. Wonderful breads, fruit, yogurt, coffees, pastries, waffles and a great atmosphere www.lepainquotidien.com
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 06:26 AM

I enjoyed Les Halles on Park Avenue.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 07:02 AM

I've ordered from Applejack at work, but never eaten there in person. I think it's a standard diner with slightly-above-diner prices (typical for that area). My egg white omelettes are always good! A california omelette was $9.75 and came with toast and potatoes (contained cheese, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes and ham).
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 07:17 AM

Les Halles is nowhere near your hotel, nor is it a diner... but it is a great French restaurant.

Joelst, the three diners you mention all look good from the reviews/prices on menupages. (There's a range of prices, but all look about right for midtown Manhattan diners.)

Another good basic diner in the area is Renaissance Diner on 9th Ave between 51/52nd Streets. Georgio's Country Grill (9th at 53rd) is a bit pricier but good: great, fresh items for both breakfast and lunch.

I don't care for Olympic Diner on 8th Ave betw 48/49th Street, though it gets rave reviews from the many, many tourists who find it convenient to their hotels... It's fine for a classic NY diner, but nothing to write home about - and there's so many good food options that it's not worth the bother!

Also on 9th Ave, I highly recommend Vynl (betw 50/51 Sts). It's a restaurant in the diner mode that is a bit more upscale but won't break the bank.

At the high end of basic, try the breakfast at Pigalle, the restaurant in the Hilton Garden Inn on 8th Ave and 48th St. This 24-hour French bistro has fluffy omelettes and yummy French toast (plus the rest of the menu is good too, which is handy if you're out late and need a bit other than pizza or McD's!).

Check them out on menupages and see what you like!
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 07:21 AM

I agree with GoTravel -- Pick-a-Bagel has great bagels, muffins, appetizing and it will be quick and easy. There is seating inside.