Need Hawaii Island Help

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Hawaii Island Help

We are going to Hawaii for two weeks in December. One week on Maui and one week elsewhere. We have been to The Big Island and Oahu before. We are scheduled to fly into and out of Maui but this can be changed. We are active seniors who can do moderate hiking and snorkeling. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 02:44 PM

You can't go wrong! Kauai [The Garden Isle] is really greener and quieter and more like Hawaii of old. It has Waimea Canyon, the Na Pali Coast, and Hanalei. But Honolulu is a bargain and has so much to do. Take your pick!
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:26 PM

Another vote for Kawaii, since you've seen The Big Island and Oahu. They're all wonderful in their own unique way.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:36 PM
Kal

The Big Island...I heard Kauai is closed from Dec 29th thru Jan 18th for general maintenance.

You think those luscious green hills and mountians just grow on trees?

Those pumps they use to pump the water up to the waterfalls are huge and need overhauling 1-2x a year so you're better off going to the Big Isle.

more nightlife...less rain...more things to do.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 05:51 PM
gyppielou

Sorry Bruddah Kal,

Due to minerals in the water, they've changed policy and are now maintaining and overhauling the waterfall water pumps quarterly. That means late august will also be a bad time to visit, especially in Hanalei, where the heaviest mineral deposits are causing chaos in the lines. And Poker.......

You just hold your tongue, my friend!

Go ahead.......hold it!
goodtimes
g/lou

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 12:37 AM

Kal is kidding, sort of. Kauai, our wettest island, can be especially so in the winter.

You might enjoy Lanai for a change of pace. The two major hotels there are quite lovely, though pricey. You could take a ferry over to Maui if the urge hit you. Check out Lanai at: www.islandoflanai.com
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 08:27 AM

We went to the most fantastic spot for snorkeling last June: Honolua Bay in Maui. It is north of Lahaina and is a marine preserve so there are lots of fish who are not too worried about people. We saw turtles, eels, and even squid/octopi (I don't know the difference). It is a cove so there was not a strong current when we were there (June 2004). My guidebook says the snorkeling is best in the morning and calm spring, summer, & fall. The snorkeling was easy enough for my children, as well as my 60-ish mother and in-laws. My family all agreed that it was like being in a National Geographic special. Take hwy 30 north of Lahaina past D.T. Fleming Beach Park. You'll see a Mokuleia-Honolua Marine Reserve sign near a parking area. Go past this just a little ways and watch for a tiny dirt side road on the left. There will probably be other cars parked there. Park by the road and take the trail/dirt road in. The trail is an easy walk and absolutely lovely. The Snorkel Bob shops may even have a free print out map. We felt so pleased with ourselves for walking in for free when we saw one of those snorkel tour catamarans that people pay a tidy little sum for.

My mother and in-laws really enjoyed the Atlantis Submarine trip. There may be a coupon in the entertainment book - there was last year.

The drive to Hana (Maui) and the hike to some of the waterfalls is wonderful.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 06:56 PM
gyppielou

OK Kitraveler,

All kidding aside, Kauai is a fantastic Island.....My next trip will be there and then a Lanai finish with very expensive airfare to get us to The Lodge. I am loving the idea of staying on Maui and checking out Lanai. Add a few nights in Hana and you have an amazing vacation, filled with tourism, and some real Hawaii. Hana and Lanai are so special, and should be cherished before commerce changes them.....although they are doing a great job of keeping commerce at bay and protecting what is truly magical about both places.

The one thing I have learned from my 7 trips to the islands is there are no wrong choices, so long as you get out and explore a little. Good luck!