Cannon Beach, OR

Old Jan 25th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cannon Beach, OR

Has anyone stayed at the Ocean Lodge in Cannon Beach? Is it as nice as it looks on the internet?
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 07:14 PM

Here's some reviews:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ch_Oregon.html
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 07:05 AM

Hi beechbum,

I haven't stayed at Ocean Lodge so can't give you the entire low-down, but when hubby and I were staying at the Stephanie Inn in December 2003 we wandered over to Ocean Lodge (they're next door neighbors). We walked through it and I even was brave enough to ask if I could see one of their rooms (this was during December before the holiday and they were DEAD - hardly anybody there!). Anyway, we'd definitely stay there for the following reasons:
* They are much more affordable than Stephanie Inn (even though we absolutely LOVE Stephanie Inn - but that's more of a "special occassion" place for us, whereas the Ocean Lodge could be an "anytime" place to lodge)
* They have a nice lobby and sitting areas - yes the pictures on the website do give it justice
* They allow pets in some designated rooms (we have a dog so found this to be awesome, plus I was also happy to hear that only certain rooms are designated as pet rooms, thus if you don't have pets you won't be assigned one of those rooms...kind of nice for those not fond of potential pet odors)
* The room we looked at was ocean front, first floor and it was nice. The bathroom seemed fairly small in comparison to Stephanie Inn, but that's fine - it was still a nice bathroom. The room a bit on the small side...if I remember correctly the tv was mounted on the wall to save space. Nice furnishings and linens etc. Oh, I also really liked the "deck" area off your room - there were chairs for you to sit in. One thing is that if you like complete privacy you may not like the deck because it was a long uninterrupted deck so you would be able to see others sitting out there too - good for mingling.

Overall, we were very impressed with the Ocean Lodge from what we saw of it. The person who was sitting at the desk when we went was very friendly and said that they do breakfast in the morning and I think he said they also did an evening wine tasting (like the Stephanie Inn).

Please post here if you stay - I'd love to hear your opinion...I noticed from reading many of the Oregon posts that you live here - me too. I'm a native (not sure if that's good or bad ;D) - currently live in Corvallis (love it!), but grew up in the Oregon City area (Beavercreek) and lived in Newport for a stint and Lebanon for 7 years...like Corvallis much better. I usually visit the Hawaii section cause I'm a fanatic, but realize that quite a few folks post here on Oregon too so I'll have to give my experiences where I can.

Take care,
Tracey
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 07:13 AM

Oops, I may have been "talking" to the wrong beechbum in my last message. I notice there is a "beachbum" and a "beechbum" posting messages...I assume they're different folks. Anyway, sorry for any confusion.

Cheers,
Tracey
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 07:34 AM

Hey, I like your screen name! I've been by the Ocean Lodge a number of times too, but not stayed there. From the outside, at least, it looks every bit as nice as Stephanie Inn. The one knock might be location, which is a bit of a hike from the center of activity.

Like Tracey, I'd like to read about the experience if you decide to stay there.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 12:29 PM

Haven't stayed at the Ocean Lodge since we have a beach cottage a few minutes away from Cannon, but I also have noticed the property many times. It is very pretty.

Tracey, did you dine at the Stephanie Inn and how was it? It's on our list for a dinner when we visit in March. We were all set to dine there one night but they were only offering what we had already had the previous night. Good, yes? ***kim***
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 12:45 PM

i have it on good authority that Tracey missed her dinner reservation at Stephanie Inn. she got pulled over for speeding on 26 because she'd relied on the advice of someone who told her she could make the drive in just over an hour.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 12:50 PM

Hi Kim,

Yes, we have done dinner twice in the Stephanie dining room - both times were really good. I can't remember if it's prior to the meal or during, but the chef will come out and talk with the diners about the various dishes etc. It's a nice intimate atmosphere since the dining room is fairly small. Enjoy!

Tracey
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 01:05 PM

Yes, it will be first on our list. When I toured the property a couple of months ago, I fell in love with the place. I told DH when we move to the area we will definitely stay there for a special occasion celebration.

The meal is prix fixe, correct? Isn't it around $42/pp or so? I know you have to give a credit card when you book your reservation. ***kim*** 8-)
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 01:17 PM

Yep, it's a standard price meal - I can't remember the exact cost per person, but I think with drinks (2 each) and tips the bill came to between $140-$150.

A few years back we ate at a great restaurant along the main street in Cannon Beach called Kalypso - yummy food. However, last time we tried to go there it wasn't there anymore. I think somebody said they moved to Seaside...anyway another place to consider at some point.

Tracey
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 01:25 PM

KALYPSO!! =D> Yes, John Nelson re-located from Cannon a couple of years ago to Seaside. It is now in a gorgeous dining room on the corner down a bit from the prom.

We dined there many times this summer. My fave was the pan-fried oysters with a glass of the Henry Estate Muellar Thargau. We took my son and his fiance there for dinner when they came to stay with us. Just love this place. I think it has one of the largest dining rooms on the entire coast. And decorated oh so nicely! ***kim***
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 01:29 PM

omigod
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 01:31 PM

Tracey, have you by any chance dined at the Bigfoot Pub & Grub in Seaside down by Avenue U? My son discovered this place when he was working with his dad in Seaside and at first I was hesitant.

I went there once and was hooked, they have THE best ribs I've ever had in my life. Served only on Sun. nights. The place is packed in the summer, so when we went in Nov. and didn't have a wait it was heavenly. They have a varied menu and it is very family-friendly. I always order a glass of the WA Syrah when we go there. ***kim***
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 01:38 PM

No, we haven't dined at the Bigfoot Pub. Personally, we're not big fans of Seaside so don't go there much, but since Kalypso has relocated there I may have to drag my husband there. I don't know what it is about Seaside, but I just never got into it - even as a kid I always preferred Cannon Beach. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Cheers,
Tracey
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 01:43 PM

Well, Cannon does have Haystack Rock which is gorgeous, yes? Seaside does get packed with teenagers in the summer from July 4 to Labor Day, but hey, I've got about half a dozen of them myself so it's great for us! =D>

I'm a huge fan of Astoria. It's my little surreal place where I go to really get away from it all. We have a tiny little house with a grassy backyard there surrounded by flower bushes. I just love having my lunch out on our small deck while the doe and fawns walk through our property there. ***kim***
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. Still trying to decide whether to stay two nights in Portland or one of the nights in Cannon Beach. Only have a short time.

Beachbum, would you recommend a hotel in Cannon Beach with a better location? We have never been so we don't know anything about the area.
Thanks
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 06:54 PM

Yes, I have stayed there. It is very nice, like a large B&B in some respects. Not walking distance to town is about the only disadvantage. Rooms are well furnished, and fresh cookies are always available in the lobby. There is a dvd player in room and dvd library available. I have also stayed several times at the Hallmark. Slightly closer to town, bu still a hike. Very close to Haystack rock with a wide variety of room types. An indoor pool is available which the kids like. Beach blankets and skewers for marshmallows available for your evening beach bonfire. We enjoy both properties.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 08:14 PM

beechbum,

Depending on when you go, I might not let location impact your decision too much. Ocean Lodge to central Cannon Beach is a hike you might want to take in summer, but probably not when there's any threat of rain or cold.

My wife and I usually stay at Stephanie when we're without kids. With kids we usually stay at SurfSand Resort, a sister property of Stephanie. It's near the Hallmark Binthair mentions, but closer to town, a 10 minute walk max. Schooner's Cove Inn, in the heart of Cannon Beach, looks okay, but I've not stayed there. You can google for more info on any of these.

Too bad you don't have more time. Whether you decide on Portland, Cannon Beach, or both, you'll not want to leave.

Old Jan 29th, 2005, 08:23 AM

Just went out to pizza last night and friends stayed at the Surfsand in Cannon Beach this summer!

Only complaint was that the beds were not very comfortable and they wished they would have had an oceanview room. Other than that, they loved there stay there but will probably do the Stephanie Inn when they return this summer. ***kim***
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 09:19 AM

We have always had an ocean view room at the Surfsand. You need to request it, but they tell you that when you reserve it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -