Need golf weekend help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2006, 08:18 AM
hdm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need golf weekend help

Hi y'all,
I want to plan a long-weekend golf trip as a birthday surprise for my husband. I'm thinking of mid- to end of April/07. Is it too early to start planning now? I know April is already good golf season, and I'd like to have a bit of a choice.

I'd prefer something in the east. I've seen gorgeous golf courses in Arizona but if it's just a long weekend, I don't want to waste too much time flying. And preferably not Florida, since we're going to be there in December. I know North and South Carolina are good golf places but can you suggest specific hotels/courses/packages? He's a fair to middling golfer and doesn't need a tournament-level course.

Also, as I don't golf, I plan to spend my time sitting around the pool reading trashy novels, so it should be a nice hotel. I'd consider anything from a very good three-star upwards.

Any ideas for me to pursue?

thanks
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 09:53 AM

Myrtle Beach has tons of golf courses.
There is a new Marriott on the north end that is really nice.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 09:57 AM

Sea Pines Resort or Palmetto Dunes Resort (Hilton Oceanfront) in Hilton Head.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 10:05 AM
hdm
Original Poster

Thanks. I'll check them out and I'm happy to hear other suggestions.

I was just looking at Palmetto Bluff Resort (palmettobluffresort.com) in SC. Wow, it's gorgeous! Very expensive, though -- beyond my budget for sure!
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 10:23 AM

If you really want to spoil him (and yourself) take him to The Greenbrier in West Virginia. Goto http://www.greenbrier.com/site/

In addition to golf there are many things to do: the gourmet shop offers cooking classes (some of the classes are short ones in the shop), falconry, Land Rover driving school, bowling alley, movie theater, excellent fly fishing, skeet shooting, and much much more.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 10:27 AM

OOps, just noticed you wanted April and a pool. The Greenbrier has an indoor but. Other places in WV and Md I would suggest would not work for a pool in Spring.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 10:28 AM

Since you indicated you don't want to travel too far (like to Arizona) and you think some of the suggested places are "beyond your budget" perhaps you could enlighten us as to where you are travelling from and what your budget is, that way it's easier for people to make recommendations. FYI - most golf reorts are on the pricey side and the green fees can be pretty hefty. To cut costs, you might want to consider staying at a lesser priced hotel or motel near (but not on) a couple of good quality golf courses that are open to the public. That way you are not paying for a lot of amenities you will not be using.

In addition to Arizona (Scottsdale is a golfing mecca) and North & South Carolina you'll find lots of Golf courses in the Hershey Pennsylvania area (although April may be a little iffy weatherwise) and throughout the Pocanos. Keep in mind many of the better golf courses will require reserved tee times so factor that into the equation.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 10:40 AM
hdm
Original Poster

Hi A_Traveller,
Sorry, I thought I'd given enough information without limiting people's suggestions. I want to stay in the east so I'm within about a three-hour flight from home (Toronto). That's why I started with NC or SC but I knew there'd be places I wouldn't have considered (like West Virginia, Maryland & Pennsylvania).

Regarding budget, anything above a good three star. I'm hoping to get a package that would include golf, so greens fees aren't an issue right now and tee time reservations would be expected. A golf resort would just make things simpler.

Lvsun, I'm going to look into Greenbrier. It sounds like I could keep busy without a pool and I'll save my trashy novel reading for lounging around in bed.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 10:45 AM

There's always the infamous Pinehurst in NC - very pretty place.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 10:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Look at Kingsmill Resort in Williamsburg, VA. Williamsburg is served by 3 airports within an hour's drive. RIC, ORF, and PHF. It may or may not be warm enough to sit by the pool in April. If not, there is an indoor pool and nice spa facilities. Kingsmill itself has 3 courses plus there are many others in the area. Also there is great tennis at Kingsmill if you play.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 10:58 AM

For that time of year (& the restrictions presented) I would suggest exploring the Charleston area. Good golf abounds & Charlestons' not too bad either.