need candid opinions about Beach Blanket Babylon in San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize that their has been some discussion on this topic in the post by DebitMN but I would appreciate some further elaboration as our scenario may be different from Deb's.

To those of you that have seen this show my question is this: Is it worth the cost of the tickets and drinks considering the other options that may be available. Also, the fact that the show starts at 8:00pm makes it difficult to have a good dinner prior to the show unless we wanted to eat at 5:30 or 6:00 or very late. Part of our enjoyment in coming to San Francisco is the excellent restaurants. Would we be better off in skipping the show and going to a great restaurant? I might mention that teatro zinzani id dark on the nights we could go. Thanks for yur opinions!
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 03:59 PM

>>Is it worth the cost of the tickets and drinks considering the other options that may be available
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 04:17 PM

The show has been playing since 1974. This should be a clue to you that it is well liked. We prefer the cheap seats on the main floor--I think they call it "bistro" seating. You are not pressured to buy a drink.

If your idea of fun is eating rather than laughing, then by all means go eat a three-hour meal.

A better idea is to have a relaxed light supper at Calzone's at 6:30, walk 479 feet to BBB, and afterwards go for dessert and coffee at Enrico's--a five-minute walk from the theater.
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 04:23 PM

I think theres a matinee on Sunday... solves your dilemma...
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 05:13 PM

I am sure the Sunday matinee allows people under 21 years of age to attend (at least that use to be true) so the show is not quite the same. Another restaurant to eat at before BBB is the MonaLisa which is also right near the theater.
http://www.monalisasf.com/
If you go to Calzone's and if you like gnocchi I had always enjoyed their dish of gnocchi.

As far as whether or not to attend the BBB it depends on how many nights you have in SF and what your interest are. Personally I love a long dinner but you could enjoy that on other evenings assuming you are going to be in SF for more than one night. Have fun whatever you decide!
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 05:55 PM

We are having dinner at 5:30 at a wonderful top notch restaurant and will go to the 8pm show of BBB. You CAN do both.

Deb
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

I love a good laugh as much as anyone and that is why I asked for candid opinions about the show. I have read reviews that range from hilarious to only mildly entertaining and if I intrepreted Stu Dudly's opinion correctly he was on the mildly entertaining side as his tastes have changed over the years.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 08:59 AM

I think the show is a lot of fun. Beach Blanket Babylon is a high-energy performance where you just have to appreciate the fast pace and great talent. I'll take a live show anytime!
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 11:01 AM
SAB

I have seen BBB at least 6 or 7 times over the many years I have lived in SF, first when it was in its infancy and then with various visitors. And while like Stu for me it has become less hilarious over time, my visitors have always enjoyed it. As I recall the first couple of times I went with visitors it was at my suggestion, and subsequently it was because visitors stated it was something they wanted to do. I don't recall anyone not enjoying the experience.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 02:00 PM

I too have seen in maybe 8 or 9 times and still love it. Is it the best show in the world? No, but there is a reason it has played so many years and still packs them in. I do suggest a few drinks before it starts as that will certainly increase your enjoyment level.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 02:09 PM

What Patrick said. I didn't have any drinks prior and was only amused.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 08:59 PM

I was somewhat disappointed because I expected there to be more hats. The show starts off with a gal in a pizza hat. She has a wonderful voice and her skit was entertaining. Then there were skits with big hair - political jokes - Bill & Hillary and I can't remember who else and some gay jokes.

Most of the people in the room were laughing quite a lot. There were some more Chitiqa Banana type hats, but the really big hats didn't come until the complete end of the show. One had a Christmas Tree on it and the other was of San Francisco cityscape. Both were quite amazing.

We did not buy any drinks as we had dinner before at Tutto Qua (sp?) which we enjoyed with a bottle of wine. It was within walking distance of the theater. We got there at 5:30 and were out in plenty of time to get over to the show; in fact, too early.

We had a nice night but I don't think I need to go again anytime soon. My husband and son enjoyed the show as did my DIL. BUT if I do ever go again, I would sit in the balcony in the theater type seats instead of at tables in hard chairs on the floor. It is a really small theater and I don't think there is a bad seat in the house.

"Part of our enjoyment in coming to San Francisco is the excellent restaurants." If that is your priority, I would say skip the show and go eat at a nice restaurant.