Search

Need Anchorage hotel recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29th, 2004, 04:39 AM
mlw
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Anchorage hotel recommendation

We will be flying into Anchorage mid-day,last week of August, to pick up RV rental the following day. I have been reading reviews on Fodors and everywhere else on the hotels convenient to the airport, and read some "unpleasant" experiences. We aren't looking for a lot of amenities, but cleanliness is a must, plus hopefully being able to walk to get something to eat. Or should we go for a downtown hotel, and taxi back to the airport area the next day for our RV pick-up? Would love to hear from someone who was in this same situation. Thanks for any help, I am getting a lot of trip info from this board!
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 06:01 AM

A few years back we stayed at the Millenium Hotel upon arrival in Anchorage. We stayed there two nights before picking up our RV. After returning to Anchorage and dropping off the RV, we stayed at the Puffin Inn for an evening. Both hotels are located very close to the airport, and there are restaurants in the area. The Millenium offers a wonderful Sunday Brunch.

Although the Millenium was lovely, we were more comfortable at the Puffin Inn, and the price was substantially less (by about $100 per night). http://www.puffininn.net/
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 06:39 AM

We did this last year. Many hotels have pickup at the airport. We stayed at the Executive Suite Hotel near the airport. I saw some complaints on other websites, but the place was clean as can be, the staff friendly, and they cheerfully picked us up at the airport at 1:30 a.m. I think we paid $59. The room had a kitchen, so I was able to cook up something in the middle of the night. We had a few things in the suitcase just in case. I searched around a lot to find a good deal and that was the best one I found. We obviously got in way too late to eat out, but I did notice some restaurants within walking distance.

If I had this to do all over again, I would stay downtown for the first and second nights then pick up the RV. We were very tired on our first day because of our late arrival. It made the stress of getting underway in a strange vehicle, grocery shopping plus finding a place to park for the night even more difficult. Staying downtown would have given us a chance to stop by the visitors center and take in the ambience before hitting the road.

If you're renting an RV and you don't have a Safeway customer card, you should get one for big savings at Carr's Supermarkets. I downloaded one off their website, filled it out, and turned it in at the courtesy desk. I got the card back in an instant. Carr's and Fred Meyer's are the big supermarkets and Carr's is part of the Safeway chain.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 09:46 AM

hello mlw:

In Anchorage if you can stay at The Captain Cook. Go to their web-site(www.captaincook.com) and see if you like it. It is a big-high rise but you can see everything!

They were booked solid which is why I did not stay there.

A real cute B&B with a great manager is the Copper Whale Inn. They were also booked solid.
You have a neat view of The Cook Inlet. Go to their web-site (www.copperwhale.com) to check them out. The restaurant where I had a good meal is next door and is called Simon and Seafort's.

Happy Planning,
Oaktown Traveler
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 05:54 PM

We did the same thing and stayed at the Holiday Inn near the airport. In 2002, it was brand new. They had the best free breakfast we have ever had.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 11:40 PM

I recommend staying downtown- you are not likely to see the area with an RV- usually people are on their way out of town and parking and driving downtown is sometimes not desired. The Cpt Cook is the one of the highest priced hotels. Look at the Ramada- downtown for a bargain- they also provide airport transportation (tip). I greatly prefer B&B's which Anchorage is loaded with excellent properties. For me the airport area is only an place to stay for a bed. I stay there when I have a late arriving flight but wouldn't consider the area otherwise. Depending on the RV rental- they sometimes have "assigned" pick up times, so consider that with your scheduling. Also the safeway card gets you gas discounts- can add up with the max of only 10 mpg with an RV. End of August will have the state parks empty- so no need to get to destinations early like you need to in season for a level spot.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 05:18 AM
mlw
Original Poster

Thanks to ALL of you for great suggestions! I am leaning toward staying downtown, since we plan to arrive mid afternoon, then RV pick up is not until the following afternoon,that way we would get to spend some time in downtown Anchorage, without the hassle of parking the RV. Thanks too for the Safeway card tip, we do not have them in our area.
I'm sure I'll have more questions before August!!!!
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 03:29 PM

Budget Queen,

Could you elaborate on the Safeway card and gas discounts? Is this only for RV's? Do you know where I can find out more about this (nothing came up in a google search)?
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 04:35 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Safeway throughout the west has the same "frequent shopper" cards that most of the major grocery chains use. However, in addition to the bar code on the card, you can type in your phone no. at the keypad and get a 3-4c per gallon discount off gas sold at adjacent Safeway service stations. Of course the same card/ph. no. gets you the "specials" inside the store too.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 04:37 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Meant to add, have a look at Priceline for the last week of August; hotel space may be loosening up around then and you might get something good. Don't bid below three stars in Anchorage.

Visit www.biddingfortravel.com for pointers if you're not familiar with Priceline.

Also, we like the Hawthorn Suites in downtown Anchorage. Native-owned, comfortable rooms, next to the Park Strip (nice residential area but close in), hot breakfast.