Reload this Page >

Need a vacation destination for October.or October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 08:02 PM
julie

My husband and I NEED to go on vacation. We are looking to go at the end of October. We would like to relax but still have sightseeing things to do (we are not too good at relaxing). Open to anywhere, Caribbean, Europe (?), US etc

One week - 10 days, can afford to spend some $$$ since we haven't been on vacation in a while.

We are from NYC and have been to Hawaii (honeymoon), Paris, Prague, australia & new zealand (we both went with our families years ago).... I've been to several of the Carribbean islands.and through Europe (quite honestly, I don't know how I feel about going to Europe, I hate feeling nervous, but I am...)

Thanks for any advice.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Foggy

Why not try Costa Rica or Belize, or a trip down the Amazon or to Patagonia.

Domestically it could be fun to tour the southwest, Sedona, Grand Canyon , Las Vegas, Bryce and Zion.

Perhaps Vancouver and Seattle and enjoy the rain.

I have toured the South extensively and really enjoyed it, but you may have done that--Charleston, Savannah or Mobile and New Orleans.

Perhaps Hong Kong or Japan. October is a great time to travel just about anywhere except Alaska (I was in Alaska early October last year--not too bad)

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 04:56 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 05:04 AM
db

Julie - what makes you nervous about going to europe? We are ok over here aren't we?! : )

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 05:50 AM
julie

Is late Oct too cold to visit Bryce?

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 06:35 AM
Bree

If you are looking for relaxation I would try Bora Bora or the Fiji Islands.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 07:35 AM
how about

Julie, how about some various spots. A few days in Las Vegas, then to Calif. San Fran, or San Diego/La Jolla. Or Calif. then to Arizona. Scottsdale or Sedona. Some relaxation, but some time on the go. The best of both worlds. If you don't want to travel to Europe then stay in the States. If you want the Carribbean, try Playa Del Carmen. Royal Hidaway is fantastic, very upscale.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 07:40 AM
JULIE

Thanks for all the responses.

I thought Bora Bora and Fiji would be too far for 10 days. Maybe a cruise? How long is the flight?

We are thinking about Bryce, Sedona, LV and San Diego. How is the weather in Utah in October. I went to Bryce about 20 years ago and loved it.

thanks

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 07:57 AM
julie

If we went to AZ, UT, NV and CA (some combination of these) would it be too much to try to go to Mirival Spa in Tuscon? I've heard really great things about it.

thanks

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Ann

I vote for Ireland, unless you're looking to get a tan. Plenty of sights, but also plenty of opportunities to relax, if the need strikes, in the pub. Fares are cheap in October, so you can spend all of your money in the pub and buying STUFF.

Why are you nervous about going to Europe? Just got back from there on Wednesday--was my third trip there this year. No problems.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 09:55 AM
ninna

How about China. There are great deals on packages right now.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 12:55 PM
Gina

Julie, you got some interesting suggestions for vacation in the U.S.

Please do consider Europe. How about Sicily?
We loved it because it was a great place to relax and also so many places to visit and things to see. History, vistas are amazing and Taormina is a fantastic place to relax.
We visited Europe this year six times already and there was not even one time when we felt uncomfortable. We are going to Normandy in the end of October.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 09:32 PM
Tara

You might enjoy New Orleans or Charleston- the pace is slow enough for relaxation while there is plenty of sight seeing to do. Not to mention tremendous food (moreso in NO) to be had. The weather would be more temperate for these locations in October than in hotter months. Hope you enjoy wherever you go!

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 09:47 PM
Mike

Believe it or not, Afghanistan is trying to develop a tourist industry. Go to NPR.org for more on the topic. Of course you have to walk carefully to avoid the land mines. For information on free or low cost tours see your friendly US Army recruiter. <G> (sorry Julie - I know that was not much help. How aobut Scotland and the isles? It might be a little chilly in October but being from NYC th ecool weather probably does not bother you.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 10:09 PM
diane

Julie, the weather in southern Utah will be delightful in October--still hot in early October but probably great in late October. I think you are considering covering too much territory for a trip to the Southwest. Fly to Las Vegas, spend a couple of days there if that appeals to you, then go up into Utah and visit Zion, Bryce and maybe the north rim of the Grand Canyon. See the beautiful sights, do a little hiking, then back to Las Vegas and home. Or fly to Phoenix, drive up to Sedona and on to the south rim of the Grand Canyon, then maybe on to some of the other sights of northern Arizona (do a text search), back to Phoenix and then home. You could include Tucson in this trip if you want, but San Diego is too far.