Best US place to hike in October?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be flying out of Philadelphia and would like to go somewhere and dayhike for about 4 or 5 days. We're looking for places we can fly directly to and then drive <3 hours. We're thinking about Zion and Bryce. Any other suggestions? We don't like hiking in snow. Thanks!
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 05:54 PM

Zion will be gorgeous, but you could find snow in Bryce. What about North Carolina? Fly into CLT and go from there.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 06:56 PM

Big Bend in Texas. Joshua Tree in California.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 07:00 PM

If you're going early October then Bryce should be fine. If it's late October, I think it could be iffy.

Zion will be great for hiking. The South Rim of the Grand Canyon will be good too.

Utahtea
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 08:14 PM

This Philly resident looks forward to each October in order to hike in Shenandoah NP, when the colors are at their peak and the crowds are hard to find. You wouldn't even have to fly; it's just a day's drive down there.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 09:04 PM

Zion. The aspens will be turning so you'll get your fall color, too. I'd try to avoid the weekend, though. I did this same type of trip last Novemeber as was amazed at the crowds in Zion-it's so close to Vegas it gets lots of weekenders.

If you can stretch your drive time just a little I'd actually suggest Arches and Canyonlands (flying to SLC). The crowds will be gone, the weather great, and the nearby La Sal Mts. have beautiful fall colors.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 07:32 AM

I hiked part of the Kaibab Trail in the Grand Canyon about the third week of October (6 years ago). It was nippy near the top, but I met sweat-covered people in tank tops toiling their way up. Beautiful scenery.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 09:11 AM

In October, I'd skip the flight and drive to either VT/New Hampshire (early in the month) or Virginia/West Virginia late in the month.

Foliage can't be beat.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 09:58 AM

We love hiking also. Last year we did wonderful hiking in Sedona (a snowstorm prevented us from hiking the Grand Canyon)and the Canadian Rockies. One hike I have always wanted to do though is Havasu Falls by the Grand Canyon and I would think that it would be wonderful hiking that in October. I believe there is a write up of that hike on a personal website www.naturalbornhikers.com and also www.hikearizona.com
October would also be a great time to hike in the northeast.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 10:00 AM

Another Philadelphian would normally vote for Skyline Drive but we went to Yellowstone & Grand Teton NP during the first week of Oct. 2004, and it was perfect.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 10:55 AM

NC could fit the bill. There is a huge variety of places but if you are serious you should book now as October is a very popular month.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 01:41 PM

I'd second the NH/VT suggestion, except that the weather is so unpredictable up on the peaks that it can be a bit risky if you aren't prepared for snow. Even early in October I've been snowed out of day hikes at times. But there are plenty of nice hikes that don't go up to the Presidentials/Franconia Ridge that would be fine weatherwise in early October.

And as others have said, the foilage really can't be beat.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 02:16 PM

my vote goes to utah, the weather is fine in october, even a little warm sometimes....at lower elevations than bryce. canyonlands is my favorite place to hike (near montecello utah) next arches in moab, then capitol reef, then zion. outside of utah, montana but not in october, much rain and snow!
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 05:06 PM

You can probably fly directly to Las Vegas from Philadelphia, drive an easy 3 hrs to Springdale and find great hiking in Zion and Bryce. It's the perfect trip for 4-5 days. And Springdale is a great little town.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 07:22 PM

I vote for Utah also! We stayed at this all - inclusive, inexpensive ranch several yrs ago. Their property is adjacent to Zion Park...and they have a shuttle that takes you to the TOP of the mesa and you hike down instead of up, like most of the hikers in the park. They meet you at the bottom and take you back to the ranch. Other terrific activities on the ranch to do also...wonderful sunset horseback ride to the edge of the mesa looking down into Zion!

http://www.zionponderosa.com/

Not the Ritz-Carlton, but clean and comfortable. Ask the desk for their best cabin with a view.

If you opt for staying in a motel/hotel..there are 2 wonderful places in Springdale.

http://www.desertpearl.com/

and

http://www.cliffroselodge.com/

As one mentioned, flights to Las Vegas are very cheap if you fly midweek. Spend a night (also cheap because gamblers are there on the weekends) to experience it...next day, rent a car and drive the gorgeous 3 hours up to Springdale area. Park yourselves and hike for 2/3 days. Glorious weather and not too many hikers during week.

You will just be WOWED by the views!

Oh, and forgot to mention...the fall foliage will be just as pretty as in New England or the Smokeys.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 04:21 AM
dcd

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
The Utah parks would be an excellent choice. Yosemite is also gorgeous with lots of trails. Weather should be fine in early Oct. You could fly into San Fran or Oakland.

Dave
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions! VT/NH sounds wonderful, but I think we're going to opt for UT. If we can get a cheap flight to SLC, we'll go to Arches/Canyonlands. We really like the idea of missing the crowds, but chances are the vegas flight will turn out to be cheaper and we'll end up at Zion/Bryce. Thanks again!
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 04:56 PM

If its early in Oct. how about Maine? Acadia National Park is beautiful.