spring or fall trip to zion,bryce

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would appreciate feedback on which season is better to visit southern utah. April-May or September-October. I don't want to go when it's too hot or too crowded. My concern with fall is risk of forest fires. Just hubby and me looking to spend a week in our wonderful national parks! Thanks for any input!
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 09:10 PM
TheWeasel

I think the forest fires are an issue in July/August and not so much in fall. October would be great.

Old Jan 17th, 2007, 07:29 AM

I just went to Zion, Bryce and Moab this past October. I think this was the best time to go. It was cold at Bryce in the morning and evening (it even snowed a bit). Most of the time it was in the 60's in all the places we went which I think is the perfect weather for hiking and outdoor activities. I couldn't even imagine going in the summer when I hear it's so hot.
We had the most amazing trip. Enjoy!!
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 02:03 PM

If you want to travel the scenic road through Zion Canyon you will have to plan on taking the free shuttle until end of October. After then the shuttle shuts down and you are allowed to drive your own vehicle. The only other way to take your car is if you are staying at Zion Lodge. Once there you still have to get around in the canyon on the shuttle. You can drive your car anywhere else in the park anytime of the year.

I was there the first week of Nov, 06 and the cottonwoods were at their prime - until a storm came through. The maples change some weeks earlier since most are in the upper elevations.

I would not be too concerned about forest fires but you may want to contact the park to see if they have any prescibed burns planned for the time.

The trip through Zion Narrows was wonderful with all the cottonwoods in full color and the water level at or below knee level. The spring it may be somewhat higher depending on snow runoff.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your help. Anticipation got the best of me...got a good deal on airline tickets....we're going mid april! Hope the snow's melted!!!
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 12:38 PM

Photodog, it looks like you went to Zion and maybe other Utah parks last Nov 2006. We are planning to go in Nov 2007. How did you find the weather in the various locations you visited? Thanks.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 02:41 PM

We were in Zion right after Thanksgiving two years ago and had very nice warm sunny weather. Cool mornings that turned into fantastic hiking days and cool nights...but this time of the year can be unpredicable. It think we got very lucky that year.

Utahtea