Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need a restaurant in North Beach (San Francisco)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're looking for a restaurant to eat in after seeing Beach Blanket Babylon on a Saturday night. Ideally, we'd like to be able to park in their parking lot, have a cocktail before walking over to the 90 minute show then returning for dinner there immediately after the show without moving our car. Italian is our favorite but we're open, reservations are a must. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 10:07 AM

Hi petlover, parking in North Beach is very difficult but there is a parking lot on Vallejo St., just one half block west of Columbus Ave., it is above the SFPD station.

Have no idea what type of restaurant you desire. The MonaLisa (just a couple of doors down from Vallejo on Columbus) is casual with very good food. Owner and all the staff are from Italy.

O Reilly's at 622 Green St., was turned into an Irish restaurant some time ago. Haven't eaten there but others have really loved it.

North Beach Restaurant is an old SF institution. It is on Stockton at Union.

Mooses is enjoyed by many people. It is on Stockton also, between Union and Filbert. It is across the street from Washington Sq.

There are so many restaurants in North Beach that your biggest problem will probably be making a decision as to which one you want to go to.

Welcome to SF and have a fun trip.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 10:58 AM

Loveitaly has given you plenty. While not Italian, our traditional after BBB haunt has been Moose's. Are you seeing the late or the early show though? Once they warned us at the lot right next to BBB that the lot gets locked around midnight, so we had to park elsewhere or not be able to retrieve our car after dinner after the later show.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 10:59 AM

By the way, I've just reminded myself of another reason we normally would take the bus, not drive. I forget why we did drive that night.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

"there is a parking lot on Vallejo St., just one half block west of Columbus Ave."

I am assuming this is close to the theater located at 678 Green Street? (I'm not at all familiar with SF).

We will be attending the 7:00pm show so eating after dinner shouldn't be a problem. I was in hopes there was a parking lot or valet parking at a restaurant where we could leave the car the entire evening. If not, it isn't the end of the world.

A restaurant that accepts reservations is critical! I will look into these choices. Thank you!
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 11:57 AM

Hi petlover, yes the Vallejo St. garage is very close to Green St. The parking garage is between Stockton and Powell on Vallejo. Walk up either Powell or Stockton one block (going north) and you will be at Green St. Also, if you have a couple of extra minutes go up the elavator to the very top of the garage as there is a lovely view to enjoy. Also, there was a small parking lot to the west of O'Reilly's restaurant but not sure if it is still there, and it is usually filled up. I believe North Beach Restaurant does have valet parking - at least they use to. I have always found the parking garage on Vallejo is the easiest. And there are tons of people out enjoying North Beach on a Saturday night so don't worry about walking around. North Beach is a very fun and active area of SF. Enjoy!
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 12:04 PM

Petlover, if don't want to hassle with the car/parking etc. you can take a taxi to North Beach. After dinner it should be very easy to catch a taxi or your restaurant will get you one. Just another thought.

Patrick, next time you are in SF think about having Sunday brunch at Moose's. Their homemade cornbeef hash was fantastic (assuming you like it of course). Take good care!
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help. Yes, North Beach Restaurant does have valet parking as shown on their website. It's pricier than some of the other recommendations but if the food is great, we don't mind paying more.

I contacted the theater when I made show reservations and he recommended a family style place next door called Capp's. Other recommendations from him were Restorante Ideale, Bocce Cafe (which also has valet parking) and Steps of Rome.Anyone heard of these? I trust the opinions of you guys on Fodorite more than him.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 02:00 PM

Hi petlover, personally I would skip Capps. Steps of Rome is fine, but their hours do not seem to be consistent. I would rather go to the Mona Lisa. When you say "we" will you have children with you? If so girlonthego went to the MonaLisa after seeing a matinee at BBB and ended up going there another time. But guess you won't have youngsters because I think under age 21 (or 18 years of age) can only go to the matinees and you are gong in the evening.

North Beach Restaurant as I said is an old SF institution and most people love it. It is just down the street from BBB. As far as food I prefer the Mona Lisa which is less expensive then North Beach Restaurant but certainly would have no problem going to NB. It is more, how can I say, decorated. That might be the place for you. It is hard to say what exactly is the "perfect" place when one does not know the other person. What ever you decide my wishes for a perfect time in SF.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 02:58 PM

I highly recommend taking a cab to and from your evening. You will pay the same (if not more) for parking, and won't be restricted if a garage closes early.

I second Mona Lisa. Moose's is great too...it depends on what you are looking for. Moose's is a large restaurant and more formal. Places like Mona Lisa, Steps of Rome, etc. are smaller and more casual...but with a little more SF personality.

You will love BBB. Prepare to laugh until your sides hurt! (My ex actually fell off his chair laughing!)

Have a great time!
Andiamo
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 02:59 PM

I happen to like the North Beach Restaurant, good food and service, a classic place. Ideale is another good choice.

Capp's Corner, well, restaurants like this kind of are a throw back to old time North Beach restaurants like the long departed Green Valley and the Gold Spike which is still around. Family style dining service, tureens of soup, bowls of salad, plates of pasta, followed by your main entree and dessert. Lots of food at a reasonable price, decent but no more than that quality wise. Also crowded and noisy, but that is part of the experience too.
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Again, thank you all. I went ahead and made a res for Mona Lisa's. I believe (??) I may have read that they don't accept credit cards which seems very hard to believe. I may be confusing this with another restaurant. It is our daughter's 28th birthday so we're flying in and taking them to BBB and dinner to celebrate.
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 10:08 AM

Hi petlover, we have always paid via creditcard at the MonaLisa Restaurant so unless this has changed say in the last 6 weeks you should have no problem. But when you get to SF you can call and doublecheck with them. Mangia!!
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 07:35 PM

Well we've just returned from SF and fell upon the MangoRosa "Italian with a Brazilian Twist," which we liked alot. Don't think it was too far from passing BBB line, which we didn't do, but defininately worth considering - small, intimate, good food.

Old Jul 9th, 2005, 08:56 PM

Hi Glover, where is the Mango Rosa? I am not familar with that restaurant but SF has so many new restaurants it is hard to keep up with them. I went onto Google but evidently they do not have a website yet. What is their address etc. Thanks.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 04:50 PM

Sorry, it's Mangarosa - and it's on Stockton Street. http://www.mangarosasf.com/
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 05:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
You will love the Mona Lisa and the show! That is the restaurant that we ate at after we saw the BBB show! Have fun!
(and they took our credit card for payment also.)
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 08:01 PM

Hello grover, thank you so much for the website for the Mangarosa. No wonder you liked this restaurant, I went to their website (thank you) and the menu looks fantastic!! I was wishing I was there this evening. I haven't heard of this restaurant but no big shock, often the same restaurants get critic reveiws over and over and some great place (like the Mona Lisa) is never mentioned at all. I bookedmarked their website and I would sure encourage anyone going to North Beach to check out this restaurant. Thanks again.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Just reporting back that we LOVED Beach Blanket Babylon! I've never laughed so hard.

We also had such an excellent meal afterwards at Mona Lisa. It was so good, I can't wait to go back to SF so I can eat there again! Thank you all again for such great advice!!
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 01:14 PM

Hi petlover, thanks for reporting back!! It is always a little scary suggesting restaurants to others because everyone has such different taste, expectations etc.

I am so happy you enjoyed BBB and especially thrilled the MonaLisa pleased you. Thanks for sharing! Best wishes.