Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

re: hotel for first time San Francisco visitor

Mar 19th, 2005, 10:56 PM
Original Poster

I have not been to San Francisco in 30 years and will be taking a first-timer there for a visit. We want to stay in a B&B - or someplace with a little charm. From what I see on this board, recommendations are Union Street Inn, Pacific Heights Inn, Buena Vista Motor Inn. We're driving up so I will need someplace to park my car. Am hoping to get around with all the great public transit while there.

As to the hotels: The Buena Vista looks typically mediocre, but decent. Union Street Inn looks perfect (although may cost an arm & leg). I can't find any pictures of Pacific Heights Inn.... Suggestions? Additions to my list?
Thanks everyone!
Jane
Mar 20th, 2005, 04:05 AM

We like the Andrews on Post Street and two blocks from Union Square..There is a garage a block away which makes it convenient.
www.andrewshotel.com.
Mar 24th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for replying, ParrotMom. My traveling companion saw and fell in love with the Union Street Inn, so it looks like that is where we are staying. I'll probably get hit with high parking fees, but oh well!!
Mar 25th, 2005, 09:13 AM

I've never had much trouble parking my car in that area for free (done so more than 100 times, at least). During the work days, there is a 2 hr limit for street parking. No limit on Sat or Sun or after 6:00 in the evening. Parking is easier west of Pierce St. or south of Union & west of Steiner, although you get into some steep hills but there are some neat residences to gaze at as you walk to/from your car. North of Union St is more difficult. On Fri & Sat night it is difficult, because it's a real popular area for people to spend a night out in the City.

There are probably more than 30 restaurnats in the Union/Fillmore/Chestnut streets area.

Stu Dudley
Mar 25th, 2005, 09:16 AM

Washington Square Inn would suit you I think -- lots of charm, but maybe a little more pricey than your other mentions. They do parking for you, and its location is great for public transportation to anywhere.
Mar 27th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Stu, Patrick, thank you for your suggestions. We have booked into the Union Street Inn and they have special stickers to park in a building for $15. With my 65 year old companion, I want to make it as easy and pleasant as possible for her first time visit there.

Mar 28th, 2005, 08:00 AM
MaureenB

If you're still looking, The Hotel Rex near Union Square is a nice boutique hotel with lots of charm and good service. There's a public garage a block away that we used, but I don't remember the overnight fee. It's also about a block from a mass transit line, so you don't need your car to explore the city from there.
Their room prices were very reasonable two years ago. It's a Joie de Vivre property, and I think they are respected proprietors. http://www.jdvhospitality.com/hotels/hotel/13