Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Sn Francisco cheap parking for car at night near Union Square

Aug 7th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

We are renting a BIG van 3 days for our vacation in August in San Francisco to visit Napa and maybe other places near but don't want to spend extra $40 dlls. each day for a parking space.
Does anybody now of a cheaper place to leave the car near Union Square?
We are staying on Ellis St.
Thanks.
Aug 7th, 2006, 11:27 AM

Hotels around Union Square can charge $40 a day for parking because there are not other options that are close.

You might be able to park for a bit cheaper at a street lot (if you can find one) but you are not going to find a $10 or $15 per day lot anywhere close.

Street lots in the area tend to be very small and cramped. A BIG van might have a very time even getting a spot.

Also, where are you staying? The west part of Ellis St. heads into a part of town where you probably don't want to be walking great distances at night.
Aug 7th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply.
We are staying on Ellis and Powell ando not thinking on walking towards west.....heard about that area before!
I think we are going to have to pay the $40 dlls. on our hotel because of the lousy time spend looking for a parking space with a BIG van.
Unless anyone else knows a place?
Anyone???
Aug 7th, 2006, 11:42 AM

There is a garage at 5th and Mission. It is about 4 blocks away. $23/day.

http://www.fifthandmission.com/prices.htm
Aug 7th, 2006, 11:51 AM

A few other options...

http://www.unionsquareshop.com/parking.html
Aug 7th, 2006, 11:56 AM

What do you mean by a BIG van??

If you will have a 12 passenger or similar - good luck. And how tall is it? Most of the parking garages have very low clearances.
Aug 7th, 2006, 01:07 PM

24 parking at the Union Square garage is $25, as indicated on saps link. It is underneath the square but is often full to capacity.

I have used the garage on Post Street about two blocks from Union Square, between Taylor and Mason. Post is a one way. The garage is immediately past Taylor on the right side. 24 hour parking is $24, with in-out privileges.

It's a short walk to the Powell Street side of Union Square. A ticket booth that side of the square sells muni passes and theater tickets (some at half-price).
Aug 7th, 2006, 01:09 PM

Will you be needing your van while in San Francisco??? The least expensive would be free. If you will be here on a weekend - Fri after 6pm (I think), Sat, or Sun - you could park on the street in an outlying area that does not have metered parking. You probably have to go west of Van Ness to find these. You could take Muni to/from Union Sq.

If you will be here in a week day, much of the City has "sticker" parking, and you can only park for 2 hrs at a time between about 9 & 6. There are some areas, however, that do not have sticker parking - out by the ocean along the N-Judah Muni Metro line would be your best bet.

Stu Dudley
Aug 7th, 2006, 01:19 PM

Check the Sutter/Stockton St. garage, one block from Union Square. It may be the cheapest around. Or leave one hour earlier, and you can park your van for free in the avenues near the ocean, either at the end of the N-Judah or the L-Taraval line.
Aug 8th, 2006, 02:35 AM

This may not work for you but here's what we've decided to do about the rental car/parking issue during our stay in SF next week. I made this decision based on all of the comments I read about expensive overnight parking.

We arrive on Thursday night. Will take a taxi to Westin St. Francis. Friday we will use our feet and public transportation. Saturday morning we are renting a sedan from Hertz (it helps that we have a free day coupon) to use to drive around to Marin Headlands, GG Park, etc. We'll turn it in at night. Then the next morning we will pick up our SUV for the remainder of our trip and leave for Yosemite.

To us, saving quite a few dollars was worth the hassle of turning in the car. It does help that my husband is Hertz Gold so our checkins are very easy.
Aug 8th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all!!!
We will look for those $25 parking lots near, I hope I have no trouble looking for those addresses that I'm not familiar with (only been there once and many years ago).
Or end up paying in the hotel, again - I think thats the easiest thing, and no need to walk 2 or 4 blocks to the hotel (tired and with some shopping bags maybe).
But thanks again!
I'll search the links you sent!