Need a place to stay near Columbia University in Manhattan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some friends of mine are going with their son who is applying at Columbia's dental school. They are low on funds and I am trying to help them find a reasonable and convenient place to stay. So far I have found the Newton Hotel, which has availability. Is this hotel OK? It seems to get good reviews on Trip Advisor. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 08:34 PM

I have stayed at a hostel called Marrakesh for about $32/night but got some negative comments for bringing it up. I think it is safe but certainly you get what you pay for. It was 4 per room, bunk beds which are a bit squeaky. Bare essentials bathrooms. Common areas are actually pretty nice. I'm hard core frugal when I wanna be so it worked for me. Very close to Columbia, around Broadway and 103 or 106. You can take a $2 public bus there from Laguardia.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Wow, now that is really cheap! He might be up to it, but I don't think the parents would be. We're looking for something around the $125 a night rate. But thanks for the reply. I'm sure that will be helpful to some!
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 09:35 PM

Do not go near Marrakesh. It is my uderstanding that is it operating illegaly - calls itself a hotel but has none of the legal/fire requirements = and many of the rooms are dire. I can't imagine a part of adult would want to stay at a hostel.

The Newton is in a great neighborhood and relaibe for a budget hotel. Many rooms redone recently. The only problem is that they're doing construciton on Broadway in front of the hotel - so it may be noisy at times. From there it's an easy walk (with lots of great restauarnts and cute little shops as well as neighborhood bodegas etc) to Columbia. Or you can take the Broadway local (right in front of the hotel) if you prefer.

But - costs depedn very much on the time of year. In high seson yuo won;t get a room for anything like $125-een with a shared bath. When are they coming?
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

February 11-13th, I think the hotel quotes a price of something like $145 for that time frame.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 04:50 AM

The Union Theological Seminary, about a block from Columbia campus, has guest rooms that go for about $150 a night. They are basic, but quiet and safe. I stayed there and liked it just fine. www.utsnyc.edu, click on the page about Guest Rooms.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks cap, that looks like a good option. Is it safe to walk around in the evening and are there decent dining choices for them in that area?
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 06:08 AM

Hostelling International has a place at 103rd and Amsterdam. The son would certainly enjoy it and it is part of the International Hostel group and quite legit
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Sue, if he travels there by himself that will work out just fine, thanks for the option.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 09:48 AM

Check out the Sugar Hill Harlem Inn. It's a B&B that's not terribly far from Columbia. I think it's more appropriate for the parents. There are many more options if the student himself is the only one who comes.

And if they are planning to just visit the Columbia area, they might want to consider staying in the Secaucus area. I don't normally recommend this, but it's actually not inconvenient to upper Manhattan.

Finally, did they ask at Columbia itself? The university maintains a lot of real estate in the immediate vicinity of the campus, and they (like NYU) might have rooms to rent out or might make their own recommendations for places to stay in the area.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 10:22 AM

Doug--are you sure this is what you meant to suggest?
"And if they are planning to just visit the Columbia area, they might want to consider staying in the Secaucus area. I don't normally recommend this, but it's actually not inconvenient to upper Manhattan."

Any chance you meant Fort Lee, rather than Secaucus?

Secaucus would have you coming into the city through the Lincoln Tunnel -- and certainly no closer or more convenient to Columbia than almost any other location in NJ.
Fort Lee could be OK, I suppose, if driving in to the city since the driving and parking near Columbia is nowhere near as bad as going into midtown.

As far as the subway construction near the Newton- I pass there occasionally and it doesn't seem bad right now. And they do not work at night, so it shouldn't bother anyone just looking for a place to sleep. No info on the hotel itself other than what I've read here
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 12:02 PM

Secaucus is incrdibly inconveninet to Columbia - and Fort Lee, whike closer, is nothing like the city.

If someone plans on going to Columbia they should definitely stay as close to the areas as they can - to get a feel for:

Big city/NYC living
Living in that area - which is very diverse (completely different from white bread suburban Fort Lee). Columbia itself has some lovely buildings and the area has been gentrified - but there are still some areas not far away that might seem gritty to someone not used to a large city. the area near the campus has a plethora of places to eat - mostly inexpensive

and I would encourage anyone who plans on going there to walk around the entire area - as well as starting to consider arrangements now. (Presumably a dental student would want an apartment and I'm sure the university has a share service - but understanding the costs/realities is important

I wouldn;t hesitate at all to stay at the Newton and there should be good prices inFEb - look at the web site and even give them a call to check for your dates.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 01:31 PM

Maggi, it just occurred to me that a student of the Dental school would not be based at the Morningside Heights campus, but further uptown (about 50 blocks) at the Medical Center.
If so, there are really no legitimate hotels further north than the Newton, though there are some B&Bs fairly close by.

And Fort Lee, NJ, while still not my personal choice, looks like an even better option to consider for this location. On a weekend day ,for example, that could be only a 15 minute drive away. Are your friends driving into the NYC area? How long are they staying and what time of the year?
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 01:39 PM

There are now several B&B's in the area, Sugar Hill, Harlem Landmark Inn and the Big Apple Inn are ALL uptown, in the 140's and 150's so that might work.

Not long ago I looked at all the rooms at the Harlem Landmark Inn, which is actually NOT in Harlem, but in Hamilton Heights (which is where I live) on W. 147th St. on a beautifully tree lined, national landmark street. The A train is just around the corner and the 1 train is a couple of blocks away.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 09:58 PM

Columbia has guest rooms on the main campus. Last year they were $115 a night. they're basically dorm rooms with a fridge and coffe machine. Comfortable, clean cheap and convenient, tho not as much for the dental school.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Original Poster

I'll check into Columbia. I think they were hoping to get one room with two beds to save money. I wonder if Columbia has that configuration.
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 09:11 AM

I think Columbia rooms are for 2 only - no room for 3 - but do double check.

Have looked at the Newton and they are offering double doubles (2 double beds) for only $135 a night - a great deal.
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 09:23 AM

The Columbia rooms have two double beds. Apparently the price is now $150/night plus 8.75% tax

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/housing/d...st-accomm.html
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! The Newton is looking like the best option to me so far.