Summer 2010-Napa/Sonoma for 10-12?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2009, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the beginning stages of planning a family get together for 1 week in wine country. We will likely work through vrbo for housing unless you can suggest another strategy. Activities include golf, wine tastings, cooking classes(maybe 2) for the girls in the group, shopping, relaxing, 1 -5year old so a pool is required...afraid to ask the question where to use as a home base but will ask anyways... Might 1 week be too long? Thought maybe we would do the first weekend we arrive in Carmel...Your thoughts?
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 01:17 PM

I would suggest you look at VRBO for Healdsburg. Its easy to get to from SF. Right over the Golden Gate Bridge, and about 1 hr. north. There are several golf courses, Windsor has a public one. The Pacific Ocean is about 45 minutes West. There are beautiful Redwood parks to walk in, Armstrong Woods in Guerneville. Healdsburg itself has great restaurants and shops. AND wine tasting!! You can make daily drives to where ever you want to go. You can do a loop from Healdsburg into Napa Valley, back through Sonoma (town), up to Santa Rosa and back to Hbg. It is the best of all worlds. You should remember that the coast, i.e. Carmel will be foggy and cool in the summer. I don't know when you plan to travel, but SF too is foggy in the summer. The wine country, however, is sunny and warm.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 03:02 PM

>>

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 03:13 PM

I agree with Healdsburg as a home base. Our large, extended family did this several times and rented a house through vrbo (actually the same house). Ours was on the Napa River, in the Carneros region. It was perfect for us (large and reasonably priced but certainly not luxurious). However, it was quite a drive to Sonoma and we have decided that next time we would like to stay in the Healdsburg area.

A week is certainly not too long. There is lots to do. What time of the year are you planning to be there?
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 03:17 PM

Just a clarification: Our house was on the highway (126?) between the town of Napa and the town of Sonoma. Therefore, it was convenient for both of those towns, but quite a drive to the northern Sonoma County and northern Napa county areas (i.e. Healdsburg and Calistoga). We did them both, but they were entire day trips.
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 10:33 AM

I would suggest taking the 5 year old to Napa State Park. Ritchey Creek is a wide meandering creek that has lots of rocks to climb on. There is also a pool in the park.