Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What area is best to stay in New York City?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 02:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cancelled my booking with West End Studios, so now I can start a fesh. Before I just book at The Pod Hotel, any comments on the best location? Which area in Manhattan must we stay? Anyone had a real great stay at a budget place in NYC?
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

What you say about location etc for the Hotel Belleclaire, 250 W 77th St, at a terrific cost of $158 ($52.66 per night) for a room with double bed and shared bathroom? Good reviews on tripadvisor.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 04:56 AM

The best place to stay in NYC is in Manhattan; beyond that, it doesn't matter that much. I strongly prefer the east side or downtown over the Times Square area. Murray Hill is also a relatively convenient place to stay. The Upper East Side is the least convenient place to stay, and I wouldn't recommend it; the far west side (beyond 9th Ave) is also pretty inconvenient. The Upper West Side, while not my favorite area of Manhattan, is fairly well connected to the rest of the city.

I can't speak specifically about the Hotel Belleclaire, but hopefully someone else here can. That's a good location, close to the Museum of Natural History and Central Park. If the rooms have shared baths, then it's probably a converted SRO (single-room occupancy hotel) and may still have long-term residents (or homeless people being housed by the city). But that doesn't mean it's a bad deal or a bad place; a lot of really scuzzy places have been turned into elegant establishments. The Barbizon Hotel for women was also a single-room occupancy hotel that was converted to a regular hotel and now is a pretty luxurious condo building, with a few of the original tenants still in residence. The Roger Williams hotel was a nasty little SRO that turned itself into a budget hotel and is now a stylish boutique hotel after a major renovation.

I hope someone can help you specifically with this one. Just expect the room to be very very small.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 05:01 AM

I also don't know about that hotel, but the location is great. The UWS is a fantastic place to stay. Easy enough to get to transportation and great neighborhood. I"m with Doug. I would never want to stay in Times Square. Go there to see a show and see it all lit up at night.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 06:17 AM

I'm a big fan of staying in Murray Hill because it is a short subway or walk from downtown, Midtown, and UES/UWS. The Park South is my favorite hotel because it is almost on top of the Lex line.

That said, you can do better than $158 for a shared bathroom.

I would take the Pod hotel over the Bellclaire.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 06:25 AM

Also, check rates at The Jane Hotel. It is uber hip but geared to the under $100 per night room with shared bath although I think they have sinks in the rooms.

www.TheJaneNYC.com
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 07:18 AM

We like Chelsea and the Village. Check out The Chelsea Lodge for a true value. It is also on a charming street. You do have to walk about three blocks to the subway but they are nice, good walking blocks.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

I just don't get any rates for the Pod under $130 per night, some even over $200. I like it, but too expensive. I'll go and check out the above mentioned. Thanks... till later then.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 10:59 AM

The Belleclaire is a "real" hotel, not currently an SRO.
(Not like some of the other super budget places on the UWS) I had some young cousins stay there a couple years ago and they liked it a lot. Lots of young European tourists. They did not have a shared bath room however. Are you sure about the $52 per night? For one person, that may be the rate for a hostel type room--shared room, not just shared bath.

Location is good for midtown access, and lots of inexpensive restaurants nearby. It's in a residential neighborhood that is busy late into the evening, so safe to come home late at night.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 01:40 PM

WE got A GOOD rate with our airfare for the Affinia Dumont in Manhattan. Seems like a good area to be in and convenient.Havent actually stayed there yet so I dont know for sure! Good Luck!
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 02:08 PM

We love staying in Greenwich. If you can stay for 6 nights I suggest The Jones Street Guest House. It is an apartment which my husband and I prefer. If you don't want to stay that long, they will book for less nights 3 weeks before or if they only have less nights available.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 02:59 PM

Good websites to try for good hotel rates in NYC:

http://www.quikbook.com/ (search by your dates, then sort by price)
http://hotels.travelzoo.com/new-york-hotels/

You may be a bit early to get the best deals for August (when I think you said you're travelling.) But most of these allow you to cancel/change without penalty, so you could book something now, and keep looking.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Where do new yorkers buy food? Which shops? Like fruit, bread etc?
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 08:55 AM

New York has everything from small Mom-and-Pop delis to large supermarkets to specialty food shops for purchasing food. It all depends on the neighborhood, the quality you seek, and the price you want to pay.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 09:07 AM

Generally we go to supermarkets for major shopping (there are a few but not many) and use corner delis or bodegas to "pick up a few things" - as in milk, bread or deli stuff (prepared foods, salads etc). there are delis everywhere.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 09:51 AM

It can sometimes be cheaper to buy prepared food in a cheap restaurant than to shop for groceries in Manhattan, depending on the neighborhood. The ubiquitous Duane Reade drug stores sell chips, snacks, milk, sodas, etc. at prices that are usually better than most NYC supermarkets. Walgreens is nominally cheaper on most food items, though.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

So which one would you choose????

414 Hotel
414 W 46St
$561.13

Holiday Inn Express Madison square garden
$486.92
Breaffast included

Hotel Newton
2528 Broadway
Shared Bath
$456.07
No Breakfast

Washington Jefferson
318W 51St
$482.94
Breakfast included
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

All taxes are included
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 03:15 PM

The Hotel Metro has a special - 20 -40% off- but you have to pay in advance. I really don't know your budget. I'm staying at the Red Roof Inn for $130+ per night and then $170 for the Fri Sat nites.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Original Poster

I am from South Africa, and our exchange rate sucks, whats cheap for you is expensive for me, The dollar to the rand is 1-10 most of the time, and worse

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -