Neat Pool-Oahu

Oct 7th, 2003, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Neat Pool-Oahu

We are traveling to Hawaii in Nov and it is my first time. We will be on the island of Oahu. We will be getting in around 7 pm on the day of our arrival. We want to stay in a hotel with a neat pool to hang out in that evening. Do the pools stay open late? Any suggestions?? We are young and poor and want a moderately priced hotel. Also a casual dinner recommendation in the same area would be great.

Thanks
Oct 7th, 2003, 09:41 PM

Property in Waikiki (I assume that's where you will be staying) is very $$$$$$, therefore there aren't fantasy-type pools like you'd see on the neighbor islands. Hilton Hawaiian Village has the most elaborate pool area in Waikiki and it's not truly spectacular in comparison to Maui pools.

Some pools close really early, around 7:30PM (Sheraton, Moana, Royal Hawaiian Halekulani).

One of the bigger pools in Waikiki is at the Outrigger Reef but it does not have an ocean view.

Some pools are high up on decks (Marriott, Aston Waikiki Beach, Beachcomber, some of the Ohanas.)

I think you may be disappointed in the quality of Waikiki pools.
Oct 7th, 2003, 10:40 PM

I think above hotels push your price limits. Not sure of opening hours (ask them) but some econo hotels that seem built around pools as a centerpiece are the low rise super-located Breakers and Hawaiiana. Also Mark something on the far end of Lewers (towards canal).
Oct 7th, 2003, 11:21 PM

Ya know, being in Hawaii, a better spot to hang out is a beachside bar! never mind gazing out upon chlorinated water in a concrete setting.

You might enjoy the Shore Bird Beach Broiler, where you grill your own food in a nice semi outdoor setting.
Oct 8th, 2003, 12:06 AM

Yes, Viking is right. The pools I mentioned are located in hotels that are in the pricey category. I really can't think of any attractive pools in the budget range.

Sheraton Princess Kaulani has a fairly big pool surrounded by lounges, cocktail tables, and nightly entertainment (however swimming may be prohibited after a certain hour.) If you are lucky you can can get a $50/night Priceline room there. I do believe you have pool priveleges at all the Sheratons when you are a guest at one of them. (Verify this; I know it is true on Kauai.)

(Make sure you study BiddingForTravel.com before using Priceline!!)
Oct 8th, 2003, 12:25 AM

Turtle Bay Hilton redid their pool not long ago. It's a great spot for a drink also.
Oct 9th, 2003, 06:14 AM
mam

If you stay at the Ohana Royal Islander you are allowed to use the swimming pool of the Outrigger Reef hotel which is just across from it. I did not use their pool as I preferred going to the beach. If I remember correctly, it's probably about two floors above the beach and depending on where you're located, you can catch glimpses of the beach and the water through the decorative shrubbery that they had around the pool. Two years ago I stayed at the Ohana Royal Islander. It's located about a block away from the beach. It's a basic no-frills hotel but I found the staff friendly and helpful. As I always believe that I will only be at a hotel to sleep, bathe and change clothes, I was looking for a decent, clean and reasonably priced hotel in Waikiki. I believe that the Royal Islander met all my needs. Current internet rates for the hotel in November is $95.00. For casual dining and to keep you tummy full at cheap prices, you might want to try the food court at the International Marketplace which is not too far from the hotel either. Hope this helps.
Oct 9th, 2003, 08:00 AM

For a nice, no frills hotel close to everything AND with a couple of nice pools (nothing fancy) try the Hawaiiana Hotel on Beachwalk. It's only a block from the beach and 1/2block from Kalakaua. The grounds are made up of lovely gardens, trees and low rise buildings. The staff is helpful and friendly. The prices are low (about $90-$95 per night) and it's a lovely alternative to the concrete palaces all around it.

I agree with MelissaHi - check in to whatever hotel you decide on and then take a leisurely stroll down the beach and stop at the beach bars at any one of the hotels - the Royal Hawaiian, The Shearaton Moana Surfrider or Duke's (at the Outrigger), grab a seat at the bar or a table, order some yummy tropical drink and relax and enjoy the surroundings.
Oct 9th, 2003, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for all the great advice! I am getting more and more excited every day. We want a neat pool for the first night when we arrive, but after that we will be hitting the beach. I am starting to worry that there is too much to do for just a week, but I guess we will just have to visit again soon. All suggestions are very appreciated!

Thanks Again
Oct 9th, 2003, 03:23 PM

Expedia.com has some decent sale prices for November, a budget room at the nice Waikiki Parc Hotel might be a little cramped, but will put you just 100 yards from the beach.

(Check the cancellation/change policies before booking a special. )
Oct 9th, 2003, 09:59 PM

The OHANA reef hotel directly across the street from Waikiki beach on Lewers
street is reasonably priced AND you can use the big pool across the street at a very nice hotel (forgot name)...