Help Me Choose Honolulu Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, two adults, October 2005, need nice pool and beach within walking distance, want to be near Ala Moana Mall. Have narrowed it down to Outrigger Luana Waikiki, Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach, Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki, and Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort. If you've got experience, please help me! Thanks.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 10:42 AM

Ok, the only hotels whose pools I've been to on your list is the Hawaii Prince. It was ok, but nothing especially great.

While the pools at the hotels you've listed will be ok, they probably won't be anything special - space is tight in Waikiki and pool size is usually limited as a result.

Waikiki Beach is right across the street from the Marriott. Ala Moana Beach Park is the closest beach to the Prince - about a block or so away. I'm not familiar with the Luana - and I'm not sure if the Outrigger Waikiki is the one with Duke's. If so, it is beachfront. It's hard to keep all those Outriggers straight.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 10:50 AM

Moondoggie-
The Sheraton is the furthest away from Ala Moana. Not an impossible walk but a good 30-40 minutes. There is a shuttle that runs from Waikiki to the Ala Moana. My favorite is the Outrigger Waikiki. The pool is not great but the location is very good and Dukes is right there. Might want to consider the Hilton.. Good pool and you get to pet the penguins if you get there during the presentation. You really can't go wrong!
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 11:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The Outrigger Waikiki is right on the beach and has a very small and unappealing pool. Most of it is a sundeck from which you can see the ocean. As someone else said, space is tight and the pool scene in Waikiki isn't any great shakes (on the flip side, you DO have the pacific ocean). I don't know anything about the other hotels you mention.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 01:48 PM

If being close to Ala Moana Center is important, then the Waikiki Prince is the closest. It overlooks the Ala Wai Boat Harbor. The closest beach to the Prince is at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Ala Moana Beach is also close.

If you stay at any Outrigger (or Ohana), you can use the facilities of any Outrigger. Also if you book activities through an Outrigger activity desk, you'll get a discount for activities/shows at an Outrigger. Outriggers also give "bonus bucks" where you can use them like cash at some shops & restaurants.

Outrigger has just purchased the Beachcomber and plan to rename it as an Outrigger sometime in October.

The Outrigger Luana is a condo with nicer rooms, but the farthest from the beach of any hotels on your list.

Outrigger Waikiki is right on the beach.

Waikiki Beach Marriott is right across the street from the beach almost by the zoo. There are no hotels on the beach side of Kalakaua Ave. in front of the Marriott to block the view.

You should also consider the Outrigger Reef on the Beach.

Here is a good map (but old map) that shows locations of Waikiki hotels. The Outrigger Luana was recently (a few years) purchased by Outrigger and remodeled. It shows up on the map as the Waikiki Terrace.

http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/oahu_waikiki.html
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 04:01 PM

Sorry, have not stayed at any of those, but did enjoy the Waikiki Parc. Not close to Ala Moana Mall, but no more difficult either, than those... Got a great package rate that included breakfast and a rental car. We even had a nice ocean view between buildings. Just a thought
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 04:08 PM

How can anyone stay on Waikiki and be looking for a pool? That ocean is fabulous there and there are showers to rinse the salt water off. Try it, you'll love it.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 04:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm not sure about why you specifically want to stay near Ala Moana Mall, but there is great bus service (www.thebus.org) back and forth that couldn't be any easier or more convenient to use.

crefloors, Plenty of people still appreciate a nice pool even when you love the beach!
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 04:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I mean if you want to stay at any of the hotels centrally located on the beach at Waikiki.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 05:33 PM

We stayed at the Marriott Waikiki last September and it was very nice. We got upgraded to Ocean view because of special occasion. As other posters have mentioned most Waikiki hotels don't have fancy resort type pools. We used both pools at the Marriott and they were fine, never a problem getting a chair and not too crowded. Our room was fairly large and I think they had done a recent refurbish because the whole place looked like it had fresh paint, carpets, bedspreads etc. We were on the 10th floor and arrived after dark. I remember waking up early to the view of an empty beach, surfers and a cruise ship and the sunrise reflecting off of the highrises. Check tripadvisor.com for recent reviews of the places you are considering. Have a blast...I will be in Kauai the same time!
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the info! We were limited to certain hotels by our travel service, and DH has business near the Ala Moana Mall. Yes, beach is far preferable to a pool, but it is nice to have one for swimming after dark--wouldn't do the ocean except with a group of people...
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 04:53 PM

It's been almost two years since I went to Oahu (October 2003). I stayed at the Prince and loved it. I believe it is exactly what you are looking for.

Enjoy.