Sheraton moana surfrider or Sheraton Waikii

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2004, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which do you like better. We would stay in the tower of the Surfrider. Just wondering about the pool and if it is run down hotel. We usually stay at the Hilton Hawaiian village, but we are going for a wedding and want to stay near everyone else. The couple and parents are staying at the surfrider and the sister at the Marriot( she has free rooms there). We want to be on the beach.

Also what are the partial ocean views like in the both of the hotels in the tower.

thanks

Mary
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 08:19 AM

The Moana Surfrider is one of the oldest, most famous hotels on Waikiki -- filled with history and gracious charm. Renovation of all rooms began a year or so ago. Be sure to treat yourself to their Sunday Brunch (reservations required) -- more variety than any Sunday Brunch I've ever sampled!

The hotel's Tower POV rooms are (IMHO) the best views -- straight up Waikiki Beach, so you get the sparkling night time lights.

The Sheraton is more centrally located, but it's just a high rise hotel. Very popular with large groups from Japan.Tucked behind the huge Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center, you can easily damage your wallet with some power shopping!

Pools at both hotels -- as with most Waikiki pools -- are not spectacular. Both have a poolside bar.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 09:31 AM

A few weeks ago we stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki and the Hilton Hawaiian Village. If money isn't an option, I would choose Moana Surfrider, but we had a ocean view at the Sh. Waikiki and did enjoy it. Rooms need an update at the Sh. W.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 08:21 PM

On a trip to Oahu couple of weeks ago we extended at last minute and stayed a night at the Sheraton Waikiki:

Even at the priceline rate of $120 for a city view, I would NEVER stay here again. Thought that staying here would be a treat, but we liked our other accommodations so much better. It's nice to be on the beach but the Sheraton Waikiki was way too crowded, the rooms worn...our dresser and nightstands had cracks and chips, the wallpaper is an eyesore, I think it used to be a white pattern, but is now "yellow". They charge for EVERYTHING, even the coffee packets which come standard everywhere else. The pools closed by 6pm and their pool/beach towels weren't even large ones like the other hotels.

The main nice things about it: very friendly staff, although my BF was stuck in the room for 30 mins waiting for someone to bring up a corkscrew. Large hotel rooms and bathrooms. Good location. But honestly, just about every hotel in Waikiki is within easy walking distance to the beach.

We were in a cityview room, but I got a chance to peak in an oceanfront...the only difference was it had a gorgeous view, but same faded decor. You won't be in your room much, but there are better hotels to spend your money in.

And believe it or not, I am generally a very easy going traveler, but IMHO, the Sheraton Waikiki was money wasted.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 11:20 PM

Just wanted to note a follow up on the Sheraton. After sending an email about my disappointing stay, I was surprised to get a reply from the management at Sheraton Waikiki. Apparently, it's nice to hear, that they do care about their patrons satisfaction and enjoyment while visiting their properties. They said they were in plans for a complete room renovation hopefully to be started by the end of the year and apologized for our disappointment. They credited us back for our stay.

Guess I should try them again after the renovations.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 04:49 AM

Wow! I should try that as I was just there a month ago - just kidding I wouldn't do that. Anyway, so now how is your review having been able to stay there for free?
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 08:05 AM

Too funny user339993!

Well, it's nice to have saved the dough, but not nice enough to have me glad that I stayed there. My review of the hotel remains the same, my review of their service, though high before...is even more so now. That was one of the positives during the stay.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 08:36 PM

The Surfrider is an excellent choice. The pool isn't that great because most people go to the beach.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 12:22 AM

I stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki a year ago and, the 6 o'clock pool closing notwithstanding, liked it a lot. I thought the room was nice, big, in good condition, and was glad I chose it over the Marriott or Hyatt, which are across the street from the beach. I have never stayed at the Moana, but the lobby and pool area fronting the beach were beautiful. I don't know about the rooms, obviously.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:56 AM

I have stayed at both of these hotels many times. Of course, the Moana is the more scenic of the two. Our rooms and both hotels have run the gamut from large and comfy to downright shabby. One of the most spectacular views I have ever had in Waikiki was at the Sheraton Waikiki and one of the worst views I had was at the Sheraton Waikiki, LOL. The pools are nothing special at either hotel.

The Sheraton Waikiki is huge and bustling, very popular with Japanese tour groups. At the Moana you will probably see several lovely Japanese wedding parties. The Moana is definitely much more sedate.

I MUCH prefer evening cocktails at the Banyan Veranda to the Sheraton Waikiki's poolside bar.

The hotels are about 5 minutes apart on foot.

I like both hotels, either will be a good choice.

(Do NOT get a room in the "manor wing" at the Sheraton Waikiki--ick.)

Old Aug 4th, 2004, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good info. I am still deciding about the to. Quiet does not matter to my mom she loves hustle and bustle. I do have to reservations right now. One in the Sheraton Waikiki that is a ocean view room and at the Moana surfrider an partial ocean view. I am afraid because of the height on the Outrigger next door that it would block my view of the city and ocean. Anyone know about that. I know the partial ocean view does face the outrigger direction.

Mary
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 06:08 PM

oh no, we have booked in the manor wing of the Sheraton, thinking we would be on the beach and not in the room much at all. Details, please. Should we cancel?
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

From what I have heard it is a very small room, but okay for 2 people no more. Also there is no lanai for that room.