Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Wakiki Hotel/Pool help...Hilton or Sheraton Moana

Apr 23rd, 2005, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

I need some advice on where to stay this weekend for a last minute trip to Oahu. We are 3 ladies in our late 20's. We would like to get in a lot of pool/beach/cocktail time.

I have reservations at the Hilton Hawaiin Village for the Lagoon Tower (1 bdrm suite) but I am also looking into the Sheraton Moana Surfrider. I was a bit skeptical about the Moana because I the pictures of the pool do not look great. However, I have also heard that the HHV can be overwhelmingly huge and its location is far away from the action.

I know people like the Royal Hawaiian but it is sold out...

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Apr 23rd, 2005, 04:06 PM

The hilton hawaiian village is a great resort. I can't comment on the Sheraton. If it is the one next to the Halekulani, than it is nothing great.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 05:38 PM

Hilton attracts families and is out of the way from the action of Waikiki. I would stay at the Outrigger Waikiki or next door at your Sheraton Moana.
Apr 24th, 2005, 01:26 AM

IMHO,Sheraton Moana Surfrider. Try for an upgrade toTower wing, ocean view (BTW, this is NOT the big Sheraton next to Halekulani. ) The beach here is better than at HHV. Neiether hotel has a particularly notable swimming pool. HHV is way out of the center of Waikikki. As for cocktails, you cannot get a better setting, day or night, than on the verandah,under the banyan tree, at Moana Surfrider. Lots of fun, lots of great atmosphere.
Apr 24th, 2005, 02:08 AM

When you're in your twenties, the Moana Surfrider is the right place to stay.

Hilton is rather isolated from the action of Waikiki. Don't worry about the pool at the Moana looking small. It's a reasonable size, but you'll find with the beach bar so close, and the beach itself (great for guy watching and tanning), you probably won't use the pool anyway.

But in any case, the terrace where the pool, bar, and beautiful deck where breakfast is served are fantastic and in the middle of the action.

Have a Moana Sands (cocktail) for me... and be sure to pop across to the ABC store to buy a cheap air mattress... great way to tan, lying on that in the sea.

Also, be sure to take a cruise (preferably sunset, but maybe several) on the Na Hoku Catamaran... you'll recognize it, it's the yellow and red one that launches right off the beach in front of the Moana. The boys who run the boat are a lot of fun, and they also serve Mai Tais!
Apr 24th, 2005, 09:26 AM

Moana Surfrider - no contest! (And no that's not the one next to Halekulani.)

It's gorgeous, the first hotel & oldest in Waikiki opened in 1901, and it is walking distance to everything, perfect location. The restaurant on the veranda is very nice, and the courtyard bar around the huge banyon tree is great too. Right on a great stretch of beach.

HHV is a typical resort (is my understanding, I've never seen it), on of those 'mega' places with plenty of kids and families, and not walking distance to where you probably want to be.