COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

NC furniture stores

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 07:03 PM
amy

NC furniture stores

Will be in North Carolina over Christmas and want to visit a couple of furniture stores, probably in Hickory. Any suggestions about factory stores to visit or possibly another city is better?

Thanks, Amy

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 05:01 AM
xxx

While there are a lot of big furniture stores in the area, don't think you can do any better price-wise than at your home town furniture stores. It is a myth that the public can buy even close to wholesale prices in NC, except for beat-up or broken pieces -- which you can find in most other towns across the country as well.

But if you go, make sure you know what you are doing and what the true prices are. If you aren't taking it with you, be prepared for mind-boggling delivery charges with no coverage if something is wrong and you have to return it.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 06:26 AM
Collette

Agree with other poster.. do your homework and know what you want and the best price from your hometown store, in order to comare. High Point gets all the attention.. there are so many stores, most quite huge and confusing.. Hickory seems a little more manageable . I freaked out in High Point and didn't buy a thing. When I lived in Charlotte I got a good deal from a furniture store in Kannapolis... told her the price from the fancy store in Charlotte and she did better...hence no need for High Point

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Postal

I have never been as disappointed as I was after one whole day furniture shopping in High Point and Thomasville. I didn't find anything any less expensive than the quality furniture stores in my own town, which is Orlando.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 11:43 AM
Second Opinion

I definitely did better in NC than here in TX. The selection alone in High Point made the visit worth it. All problems were taken care of. I live in one of the largest cities in the U.S. and our selection does not compare. It does help that I combine my shopping visits with visits to the inlaws...it gives me something to do,

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Betsy

This summer I saw a Macy's sale ad for a chair in our local paper--the price was $699. I phoned a shop in NC in the town where the chair is manufactured. The owner of the shop quoted a price of $499 plus about $100 shipping to CA, for the identical chair. No tax on the out of state purchase (would have been about $60), and I got to choose my preferred fabric. Six weeks later the chair arrived without a problem. (The day after the delivery the shipping company went bankrupt!) So I saved about $160, got the fabric I wanted, and had a pleasant experience with a small NC shop. By the way, I picked the shop at random from one of those little ads in the back of Southern Living magazine.

By the way, if you type <furniture shopping> into the text search box at the top of the page, scroll down and highlight North Carolina, and press find, five messages on this topic will come from the archives.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 06:07 PM
xxx

You can save a lot if you are getting custom furniture. If you were to order a chair in a fabric you liked from your local furniture store it would cost 40-60% more. You can go to High Point and see all the furniture in person, versus ordering from a catalog, sit in it, etc. Then pick out exactly what you want. A sale at a local store is good sometimes if you're willing to take what's available. In NC you get just what you want, on sale.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 06:21 PM
Fred

ttt

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 05:01 AM
Mike

Hmmm...Might disagree with some of these posts.

I was shopping for leather in Denver, CO at a large store. They said they match and beat any price anywhere in the country except for:
1. Nebraska Furniture Mart (now owned by Warrent Buffett)
2. Hickory Furniture Mart in Hickory NC

Now a resident of NC, I feel you might be able to match price if you really work at it. Or, you could go to Hickory (my preference) or High Point (don't like FurnitureLand South) and have a wealth of selection and probably pay for shipping with the no sales tax and low prices. Enjoy.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 05:03 AM
Mike

In case you didn't see this one. There used to be another one flying around but I can't find it.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...Text=furniture

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 06:38 AM
anotherxxx

xxx, I don't get what you're saying. If you custom order at the places in NC, you will generally pay that extra percent also, depending upon the fabric you choose. Don't think that the places in NC have furniture already made up in all the thousands of possible fabrics, but they might have a little greater variety to choose from than at home. One way they make money is to encourage custom orders in special fabrics, sometimes adding a whole lot of extra cost to a sofa even though it is a "lower grade" fabric. At home, I have found sofas that I could special order in different fabrics that were actually lower in price than the one on the floor, as the fabric grade I was ordering was lower.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Franklin

Forget all the above posts. Here is the real deal

I have been going to North Carolina for over ten years to buy furniture-a major three or four day trip every few years. I have furnished my house going this route and am glad I did. I purrchased primarily high end furniture.

I prefer Hickory because you can centralize your search at the furniture mart--there are other stores in the area but felt selection, price and shipping were best utilizing that resource.

You can save CONSIDERABLY MORE MONEY by traveling to North Carolina and purchasing furniture there. I have priced, compared and purchased--it is true.

Here is something other posters fail to realize when they bring up locals matching prices. The quote you get over the phone from a NC store is typically higher than the quote you can get in store. The in store sale price is lower than the phone price. That is why it makes sense to go to Hickory to buy if you are purchasing over $10,000 at one time--the savings pays for your airline ticket and hotel with money left over.

Another advantage of going to Hickory is that typically (not always) there is more selection on the showroom floors than in your hometown. It is advantageous over trying to decide on a picture in a catalog.

One hint. Purchase from a store that has its OWN shipping company--not one that contracts with another firm to ship. That way if something is damaged upon delivery you do not have two different companies pointing their fingers at each other and you are holding the bag (and paying the check).

Another hint. Prepare for your trip by measuring rooms taking pictures, swatches of fabric carpet samples etc.

If you go with a spouse and two heads do not seem better than one--a GREAT little publicized golf course exists five miles out of town--Rock Barn. My wife sent me there one trip--it ended up costing me about $700 a hole!!

There are also some stores in Hickory where incredible deals exist on slightly damaged pieces (nicked, etc). I have never gone this route but there are huge deals for this merchandise.

In summary, Hickory is where you want to go if you are making major purchases for your home. Much beeter prices and great selection on the floor.

End of discussion.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Franklin

Addendum: There are no "mind boggling" delivery charges. They are reasonable and you are still saving significant amounts of money if your purchases are significant (greater than $6,000-7,000).

Also you ARE covered for damaged furniture when delivered. You do nopt have to accept it. It is easier to deal with a store that has its own delivery department. I have purchased multiple items and one occassiopn a chest came scratched---no hassle at all--it was refused a new chest was delivered in six weeks later.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 07:22 AM
Lois

I just had furniture delivered this week that I had ordered the last weekend of Sept. It arrived promptly, and my whole experience was positive. I would like to add that there are certain times during the year they have special promotions, and we didn't have any shipping charges, having just gotten the beginning of one of these 'promotions'. So, with no shipping charges and no sales tax, we definitely came out ahead. Also, I could choose from hundreds of fabrics, which you don't have the option of from home. We only went to Hickory Outlet Mall. Never got to High Point, so I can't comment on that location.
One more comment, regarding checking prices over the phone or email, I know that some places will have special prices only for those who actually are in the showroom. Thomasville had a big sign up that the purchaser must be present there to get their sale prices.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 08:30 AM
sharonL

This is a very interesting thread. Friends bought a Florida condo in the same complex as us. They chose to go to North Carolina to shop and furnish their place. We thought about it, but went to a very large local furniture store in Tampa where our condos are. We met with a designer there and explained what we were thinking of doing. She offered us total free design service, and if we purchased all our furniture from them, a 30% across the board discount with no delivery charges. She even made three trips to our condo and arranged furniture and accessories and hung all the pictures for free. Everthing is finished and gorgeous.

Meanwhile our friends are still waiting for some of their furniture. My friend is clueless about how and where to hang the pictures. They insist they got better deals than we did, although I know they spent over $10,000 more than we did, and they still need a lot of fill pieces.

I suggest that rather than just look at the prices at your local store, you talk with someone and try to make a total deal like we did. I am thrilled with our results.

I think it's funny that people mention that even after spending the money to get to NC and paying for a hotel there is "money left over". I'm glad we spent our time and extra money staying in our own place in Florida for our limited vacation time, rather than spending it "shopping" in North Carolina.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Franklin

Dear Sharon.

I appreciate your comments and am glad that you are satisfied with your results.

With all due respect, your comments don't indicate an "apple vs apple" comparison--who knows the brand you bought versus your friend, etc. The Furniture mart has designers to work for you for free in each of their stores (granted they don't come to your house--that is why you bring pictures, fabric samples, drawings/measurements of rooms, etc). There is also a fee based independant design service at the mart that yoou can employ.

Big purchases? You need to go to North Carolina-in my opinion.