High Point furniture shopping

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Point furniture shopping

We plan to go down to High Point, NC for furniture buying....bedroom and a few pieces for the living room. We only have a Saturday to do this. Any suggestions of where to stay and a name of a furniture store that has a good reputation.

Rose Furniture was one name given to us. Look forward to hearing pros/cons.

Thanks
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 12:40 PM

Don't know of any but just be really careful. If it arrives damaged you will have to take care of the problems and no returns. For me, even though I can drive there in about 4-5 hours I prefer shopping at local stores that will stand behind the products. We just ordered a computer armoire by Lexington -- and it was so poorly made the store will take it back on their nickel. No hassels -- you will have hassels the other way as they have no one to service you locally. So be really careful where and what you buy.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 01:07 PM

You say you're looking forward to hearing pros and cons. Well here's a "con".

As a semi-retired interior designer I have to agree with the above. My furniture shopping in High Point was always confined to wholesale (open to the trade only) places only during the two annual market weeks. But I've recently been helping a couple friends with local furniture purchases now that I no longer have my own store. I can't believe the great prices we can get locally -- often less than my cost would have been once you include shipping and handling. Most local furniture stores are likely to match or even beat any prices you find in those places in North Carolina.

People brag that they got a $3000 sofa there for half price. But I ask you, "where is a local furniture store any more that expects people to pay $3000 for a $3000 sofa?" Everything is discounted these days and I really believe it makes more sense to do it all locally -- unless you're in an area that simply doesn't have any furniture stores. Your name of "floridabound" would indicate you're moving to "discount furniture heaven".
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 03:24 PM
LN

Well you can add me to the CON list too!! I went there a few years ago and found what I liked and got prices. Then I learned that I must pay 1/3 to 1/2 down with order and pay balance when shipment arrives. I must also pay a substantial shipping fee (approximately $400) on what I was looking at. Stores in our area do quite well in offering lower prices when I inquired. I do my research now and then go shopping a little better informed.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 04:03 PM

The one suggestion I would make is to go at the end of the International Home Furnishings Market. It is held two times a year. I believe in April and then October. Do a search on Google to get dates. I have gotten great deals on samples. The only thing is that you need cash and you have to make arrangements to have item hauled off if you do not have proper transportation.
Also price before you go. Often stores will show a high MSRP and then show "their price". Sometimes it is cheaper...you just have to know what you want before you go and know how much it costs locally.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 06:03 PM

floridabound...

I just furnished a condo IN FLORIDA by purchasing all the pieces LOCALLY--and I am an Interior Designer--

Yes , it killed me to pay "retail", but I was NOT at the condo full time , and to have to wait for delivery for something to be drop shipped would have been a nightmare...Esp since I do NOT Live down there fulltime...
Also , if you are going into a condo, there are specific hours that they will allow delivery to your own apt....so if the bug truck arrives at 435pm and your condo rules say no one after 430pm, you are SOL....

I was able to furnish a 2 bed condo for a very very reasonable amout...Yes, I did have problems, even though I bought locally...BUT I was able to have the pieces swapped out 2 times over the course of the year.....and the only hassle I had was getting the company to come pick it up...NOTHING like what I normally deal with at home with filing freight claims etc...

However, IF you are still bent on going to HighPoint, ROSE BROTHERS is very good with pricing...There is also a fantastic place in Hickory called the Country Shop...They have been in business for over 30 years and are also super reputable....
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 06:45 PM

Wow, times have changed. When I gave my "con" answer a couple years ago, I was blasted by tons of people saying that the High Point thing was THE BEST. But I don't recall local stores offering the discounts then that they do now.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 04:04 AM

I understand that Hendrix is also very good.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 04:08 AM
OliveOyl

Patrick did you have to negotiate your lower prices locally or were they actually marked on the tag? We've just been through a LR re-do, struggled to find decent stores here, and when we did, were surprised that both stores had their prices marked at least 1,000 below the suggested price on all pieces. So, is a Lillian August/Heritage sofa at $3,000 really a decent deal or was it marked up 2,000 before being marked down? I sure would have loved to have had you accompany us!

Old Sep 4th, 2003, 05:03 AM
cfc

One more "con" that may or may not be relevant for you, floridabound. In addition to the non-value prices and the very unreliable quality on delivery, I found that the range of styles was actually pretty limited. Mostly it seemed to be Early American, Rustic Western, or imitation Queen Anne or Federalist. If you like one of those styles, fine. But if you want something more contemporary or just simple, classic but well-made stuff, you may have a problem finding it. Recently, I'd imagine some sort-of-Shaker stuff has joined the styles, based on what I now see in furniture ads, but most people who live in NC know better than to pop over to High Point -- they buy on sale at reputable local stores, chain or not.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 05:18 AM

We recently went to Hickory (not high point) and shopped at Boyles. I was very satisfied with the prices I got, the quality and the delivery. I would shop with them again.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 06:33 AM
donnabee

Not sure if things are different now, but what I used to do was - I would go to local furniture stores in my area, write down the maker and style number and then I look up furniture stores on the net in North Carolina. I then called them and to see if they had what I saw locally. I was never charged a shipping fee, and I always saved about $300. I highly recommend buying furniture in NC.

Old Sep 4th, 2003, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your very informative answers to my question.

We are not moving to Florida just yet and in the meantime we decided to start redoing some rooms at our current home.. We live in Northern Virgina and there is not much for furniture shopping here that I have seen. Most stores have the same "Williamsburg" look not much diversity in style to choose from in this area. The decent stores we have found were.... i.e. Colony House, Danker, Domain and Ethan Allan. Prices seem extremely high or maybe I just haven't shopped in many years....I though by going to High Point would give me a better choice and better prices. All the rest of the stores seem to be very very low end...as in: Marlo Furniture..the worst I have ever seen.

This is why, I was hoping to hear High Point would be worth the 5 hour trip.

thanks all for responding...
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

We are back from High Point, NC from furniture shopping. I have to agree with all that posted their replies to my question. Not much savings as there was in 1987 when I was last there.

There is realy tough competition nowaday and not willing to compromise muc...At least the lady we dealt with at Rose Furniture. She was very blunt and said...I will not compomise any saving out of my pocket....I said to her nor will I....I thought they would come down a lot more in price. All in all I saved maybe $300.

Probably will not go back. We did have a great time and if anyone goes, I highly recommended the Radisson right on Main St. Great service especially was so gracious. Down to earth "folk" They even gave us coupons to a fabulous restaurant next door to the Radisson called "Nobles" ...Fantastic food...

I wished we had more than one day. Anyone who goes there, you need 2 to 3 days max.....
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 06:24 AM

Hmm. Glad this was topped, because I missed OliveOyl's question.
No, we didn't "negotiate" local prices, just watch for sales. Ethan Allan introduced a new leather sofa that was half off -- a really nice piece for around $1500, which we couldn't match anywhere else.
At two stores they had a special on some Lexington Tommy Bahama "Bombay chests" we wanted to use for night stands in the master. I am actually still a Lexington dealer. My cost on the retail $1500 chests is $600. Plus of course I'd have to pay for the shipping and receiving here. At one place these chests (we got two) were on a special sale for $ 675 each -- delivered for free. How can you beat it? At another store the same chests were going for $699 each. Two weeks later we were in and noted that the special sale was over, but their "everyday" price on those chests was something like $ 849.00.

We hit a Labor day week "tent sale" at one of the largest patio furniture places and got all the patio furniture (nearly $10,000 worth -- yes I checked the true retail) for just over $ 5000.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 06:32 AM

Further information regarding how furniture is priced. I'm rather glad I retired from my retail desing business. I used to have a furniture showroom, mainly for special order pieces, but it is harder and harder for the little guy to compete price wise. For example that porch furniture we bought would really be $ 10,000 if ordered. But at market the company bought promotion groupings -- say if they buy 100 sets in a particular style and fabric they will get them at a fraction of their normal wholesale cost and can therefore afford to pass those savings on.

When you see a $ 5,000 sofa for $ 3,000 there can be a number of reasons. Maybe it was a special purchase where the company bought a dozen of them. Maybe it is a discontinued style or fabric and the manufacturer or the store wanted to get rid of them. Maybe it is a special promotion from the manufacturer to boost sales. Or, of course, it could really be a $ 3000 sofa that was marked up to $ 5000 and then marked back down to entice a customer. You really need to know what you are looking at.

I did some work for people who bought their furniture at one of the North Carolina places and they were happy. But I had to smile when they said they loved this particular sofa which was half price on the floor, but they changed the fabric which almost doubled the cost. Ironically, the fabric they special ordered it in was a very inexpensive fabric, so no doubt the company was making full mark up for special orders. A sort of "bait and switch" technique.