COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

pronunciation of Vuitton

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

pronunciation of Vuitton

I know that when it comes to pronouncing proper names, the usual pronunciation rules may not apply. For example, the Bulgari store stresses the first syllable, and that in the name of the cafe Fouquet on the Champs Elysees, the final 't' is pronounced.

I've never been sure about Louis Vuitton, I've heard it pronounced 'vwee-ton' and 'vee-ton'--which is correct? I'm not bothering with the transliteration of the 'ton' syllable--I know how to do that nasal 'on'. thanks
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 04:32 PM
ewt

I believe it is really vwee-ton, but keep in mind the n on the end isn't a hard n. You should barely be saying it.

Its almost like vwee-tauh
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 04:41 PM

Vuitton usually sounds like vitton, with a short i-sound and the o pronounced (not vitten).
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 04:41 PM

Vwee ton swallowing the n is the way I do it.

Does this mean you are going shopping???
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

I don't know about the shopping yet, I'll have to check the prices, but I do want to at least pronounce the name of the store properly
I read somewhere here recently that the LV store limits the number of items you can buy at one time, and that their main store on the Champs Elysees is undergoing renovation but they have a little store on a nearby sidestreet
Not that I was in great danger of going over the limit.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

by the way, I see we have mixed opinions on the pronunciation, so I feel less ignorant
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 04:51 PM

The pronunciation depends on whether it is genuine or a knokoff..which are you planning on buying????
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 05:00 PM

I have never seen the crowds in the Vuitton store but have seen them in Galleries Lafayette. Actually, the first time I was in the Vuitton store, I was the only person there...heavenly
At the GL boutique, they had a guard at the door and a line that went out onto the street.
Tourists from Asia buy as many bags as they can and sell them again at home..or so I have been told.

What I really like about the bags in Paris ( name brands) are that you can get so many that are not sold in the US..so while it might be a known brand, no one is going to get it at Bloomies!
Have fun!
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 06:27 PM

You pronounce it as you would the first syllable of the name of the painter Vuillard.

Or as you would pronounce the UI in suis, lui, puis.

Not like the UI in qui, in other words.