Nantucket - where to stay for anniversary?

Old Jul 18th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nantucket - where to stay for anniversary?

We are planning a 4-night visit to Nantucket for our 10th anniversary in October. The Wauwinet is the place that I keep hearing about but it is booked. Price is not an issue. If possible, we would like to stay close to town with a water view. I have also read mixed reviews of the White Elephant - is that comprable to the Wauwinet? Any ideas or suggestions?
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 12:23 PM

Since I live in Nantucket, I don't stay in hotels, but I have had friends stay happily at the White Elephant when they couldn't get into the Wauwinet, just like you.

It is very centrally located, within walking distance of all the best restaurants, the beach, and other attractions. The downside is that it is on the harbor where the ferry blows its very loud whistle when it leaves every morning at 6:30 AM.

I would also look into the Summer House. They have a number of small houses scattered about town and the island, sort of like B&B's but centrally and professionally managed. Some of them are in noisy locations (skip the India Street property) but the one on Fair Street looks intriging and is near 29 Fair, a very nice restaurant. I have eaten at the Summer House in Sconset with great pleasure but don't know if they have rooms there.

Some people like the Jared Coffin House a lot, but they have shut down their food service except, presumably, for continental breakfast. I would check TravelAdvisor. Great location, classic property, but in a kind of limbo right now.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 06:30 PM

The places mentioned are lovely - I would add that teh Summer House does have fabulous cottages at the Siasconset location adn they are lovely - their web link is www.thesummerhouse.com - we always visit there each Nantucket for at least lunch, but friends of ours have stayed there several times and love it - don't know anyone who has stayed at their Fair St location, but for many years we stayed at the India House (no llonger there) on India Street and it was never noisy, even when we stayed in July - now the location of the Summer house/India House location may perhaps be on a section of the street that would be noisy - but in October I would think foot and car traffic would be even less than in July -

The other outstanding place is Cliffside - although I believe they close in October I am just not sure what date - could be too early for you, but it is magnificent , every corner - the lobby, the walkways, all the facilities and the Galley restaurant next to it are all amazing.

Cliffside is a bit closer to Main St and downtown than Siasconset, which would require using their van that runs between their properties or the town bus to always get back and forth unless you are renting a car or planniing to bring yours over on the ferry (advnaced rezzies for that)

For water view, I think you would need to stick with the Siasconset location or Cliffside of the ones I mentioned above.

A restaurant we recently enjoyed tremendously in July was Cinco - also excellent wines - here is a link to my report of the restaurants we ate at this year if you are interested

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=35030388
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 06:34 PM

Wauwinet is nowhere near "town" but is probably the most luxurious place on the island. The White Elephant is probably the nicest hotel in town. Summer House is lovely but in Sconset, not "town". I think the Summer House might feel a bit isolated in Oct. (but I've never been there at that time).
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 07:07 PM

Here is sthe web site for the Cliffside - it took me a minute to find my packet

www.cliffsidebeach.com

Also, this might be to 'on the water' for you, and will not give you the luxuriousness of a Cliffside or other resort (spa, fitness, etc) but you might want to look at the Cottages at the Boat Basin - we've had many friends and family stay in those (in July and August, but if they are open in October, it certainly gives you a water view!) - might be a tad cool in Oct, and as I said, no hotel amenities, but you can sleep late, make your own coffee and walk to everything from the boat basin - and you woul dhave more privacy there than you would in the midst of summer when lots of people are often walking the docks, but some of them are located with magnificent views and right over the water.

www.thecottagesnantucket.com/
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 03:09 AM

I hadn't even thought about the Wharf Cottages, escargot.

You are right about things being much quieter, esp after Columbus Day, and it could be very nice.

But you also risk a howling gale in October, picturesque but possibly a bit wild in a cottage sitting over the water!

We also were sorry to see the India House close. We often had supper there on Sunday nights since it is only two blocks from our house. The India Street Summer House is indeed in a noisy section, especially since construction is going on across the street, and there are many construction vehicles blocking traffic and backing up with those warning beepers.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 04:10 AM

Ackislander: we miss the India House and the always entertaining, but educating, Charles...our family had many a good stay with him and his crew -I hereby admit to being in a fog - I walked India St several times on my morning walks from the boat basin while there and didn't see the construction..geez I must be losing it - although I'd rather think it was so early they hadn't started working yet - that must be it, right?!

but Ackislander I was trying to find you on the other thread (small hijack here) of what I ate on my visit b/c what happened to West End and those great burgers!!

Old Jul 19th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. They all look great. I have calls into them all and will wait to see what is open and available. Thank you also for the dining link. That was very helpful. We are looking forward to our visit. Thanks again!