B&B Amelia Island

Feb 13th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

B&B Amelia Island

Wife and I considering either Hoyt House,
Eliz. Pointe Lodge or 1735 House this summer. Any recommendations greatly
appreciated. Also considering Beachside
Motel Inn on Fletcher Ave. What might be the driest summer month ? I`ve heard it
gets pretty hot during summer or would
late spring be better. Thanks
Feb 13th, 2005, 11:01 AM

We stay with relatives, so I haven't stayed at any of these, personally.

Hoyt House is in downtown Fernandina Beach, which is a nice Victorian area of several blocks with shops and restaurants. You will have to drive to the beaches.

The other three are over on the east side of the island on the beach. There are a few restaurants, etc. along Fletcher, but not the variety you'll have downtown.

Relatives stayed at the Beachside Motel Inn over Thanksgiving. It is pretty much the quintessential motel. No major complaints, but pretty bare bones except for the location right on the beach and apparently a very good price. It does have a pool; not sure if the others do. But the B&Bs will have more character, if that's desirable.

We go there often for Fourth of July or other points in the summer. It will be hot in the summer, but I don't recall ever being that uncomfortable; it does usually get nice breezes off the ocean. Check weatherbase.com for historical averages and rainfall.
Feb 13th, 2005, 04:05 PM

PaT, thanks for jogging my memory. I stayed at the 1735 House about 30 years ago, I kid you not. It had bigger rooms then. It was a classic old historic house then (unless this house is some sort of reinvention of that one). I could never remember the numbers, I kept thinking 1810 house. Anyway, the beach is beautiful at this spot. I doubt they do it anymore but they used to deliver a basket of fresh squeezed OJ, and some muffins every morning. And a pot of coffee. It was sweet....
Apr 4th, 2005, 08:45 AM

PaT, can't comment on driest summer month, but I can tell you that I LOVE Elizabeth Pointe. But it depends on what you're looking for. From the places you're considering, I'd guess it's peace and quiet. EP is beachfront, views are beautiful. When they say breakfast, believe me, they mean breakfast! Delicious and plenty of it. Everything from pancakes to eggs benedict, and generally something different every morning. The entire staff is delightful, always ready with a recommendation or to make a reservation. Food is available from their kitchen 24-7, light fare, soups, sandwiches mostly. Last time i was there, I only left the building twice! I'm going back in October. Can't wait!!
Apr 6th, 2005, 05:30 AM

We stayed at Hoyt House about 5 weeks ago. We enjoyed our stay and would definitely go back. Our room was nice, as well as the others we would see when walking by and they were open. The pool outside is really nice. Breakfast was very good too.
We happened to be there when the fort/state park on Amelia was having a reenactment weekend. I think they do it the first weekend of every month. The doctor in the hospital was very entertaining and informative. He was very into playing his part.
If we had stayed longer, I think it would have been fun to take a ferry to Jacksonville to expore.
Apr 6th, 2005, 10:04 AM

I think Elizabeth Pointe is the only B&B on the beach. Not sure about the Beachside Motel. Elizabeth Pointe has a wrap around porch where you can sit and watch the waves. The rooms are pretty. I feel pampered when I stay there. I second the enthusiasm about breakfast expressed earlier.