More Nantucket Accommodation Questions

Old Feb 6th, 2003, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More Nantucket Accommodation Questions

Can anyone offer an opinion on any of the following Nantucket B&Bs?

Sherburne Inn (10 Gay Street)
Corner House (49 Centre Street)
Cobblestone Inn (5 Ash Street)
Anchor Inn (66 Centre Street)
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 11:40 AM

fluffnfold:

We've stayed at the Corner House (we had the room with the fireplace that they show on their brochure and website). John, the owner was very helpful. They have a small breakfast buffet and afternoon tea complete w/biscuits and cucumber sandwiches. We subsequently stayed at other B&B's and found them to be consistently top notch. Any of the places that you mentioned would be great. I think you could pick a name out of a had and it woould work out just fine. I do believe that the closer you are to the Jared Coffin House - the better. That is also a good spot for breakfast. There are many good restaurants on the island - we've always enjoyed the Ships Inn. Are you flying or taking the ferry?

JoeG
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 01:13 PM

We stayed in an annex (around the corner) of the Corner House (annex is called the Swan's Nest). Room was fabulous, if a bit compact (especially the bathroom), but we enjoyed the privacy (there are four "units", I think, in this annex.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 01:43 PM

Sorry for the spelling - that should have read "pick a name out of a "hat". The other place we stayed at was The Chestnut House. Laid back, quiet but very charming. They give you vouchers for breakfast that you can use at the previously mentioned Jared Coffin House and one other place. We thought this location was fractionally better.
JoeG
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 04:21 PM

Joe mentioned Chestnut House and that really is one of the absolute best bargains on the island. Very nice family run b&b but it fills up very quickly. Their son owns the place across the street, but I forget the name. The Sherburne inn is run by a very nice couple and people seem to like it. Corner House is, well, weird.
I liked Cliff Lodge, 4 Chimneys, and Brass Lantern.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 06:46 PM

We stayed at the Corner House last Fall.
We stayed in one of the rooms in the Annex Bldg. which is around the corner from the main house. The pros were as follows: 1. Location was convenient for walking to shops, restaurants, lighthouse and piers. 2. Room was nice size. Bed linens were high quality. Room was clean. 3. The Inn assistant was very helpful in recommendations and assisting in reservations. The cons were as follows: 1. Buffet breakfast was about the same each morning that we were there - cereal, muffins, juice, coffee, etc. Not much of a variety. Also, there was no dining table to eat. You had to sit on a couch or chair in the drawing room or porch and use end tables or the coffee table to place your plates and cups. 2. Our room in the Annex was on the first floor. Every step the people in the room above took sounded like they were coming through the ceiling. On our last morning there, the couple above were up at 5:00am packing to leave. Of course, we were awakened by the noise of them moving about the room. There were only wood floors and throw rugs in the rooms. The innkeepers should probably have put in wall to wall carpet to buffer the noise.
Bottom line - For the amount of money they charge, I think there are other B&B choices that you would enjoy more.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 12:51 PM

I stayed at the Anchor Inn last summer. Nightmare. Our room was mildewy and moldy. We're not complainers, but we'd already paid -- very heftily-- in advance. After a few complaints (we felt like complete jerks) they switched our room. All was well after that, but we'd already had several arguments between ourselves about whether or not to keep complaining etc.; it ruined our vacation. I would not return to the Anchor Inn. If you do book there, be sure to request that they DO NOT PUT YOU IN THE ROOM ON THE FIRST FLOOR. Bon chance!