Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard

May 23rd, 2003, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard

Trying to decide whether to rent a home in Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard for a week. Not bringing children, want lots of good restaurants that we can walk to and things to see. Which island should we stay on? And which area on the island? - Thanks!
May 23rd, 2003, 02:12 PM

I've not been to MV so can't be objective but I ADORE Nantucket & have been many times. If there are just 2 of you, I think you might find renting a house too expensive though. I've always shared with friends. I think there are condos you can rent but not right in town which is where you'd want to be to walk to restaurants.
May 23rd, 2003, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! If anyone else has been to Martha's Vineyard - please let me know.
May 23rd, 2003, 06:03 PM

I went to Nantucket last summer and loved it. One day I flew to the Vineyard to check it out and this year I'll be going back to the Vineyard, Edgartown in July. I like them both, but Nantucket just feels more special. Some of the nicest people I have ever met anywhere were on Nantucket. Nantucket is like stepping back to 1750 while the Vineyard has more diversity.

Regarding renting a home I'd first consider some of the inns that have their own cottages that will give you a better chance of being walking distance to town(Nantucket) and wont cost upwards of 10,000. a week to rent. Now lets see who has such accomodations...
Okay, Nantucket: Stumble Inn, Point Breeze, Cliffside Beach Club, White Elephant(might as well rent a house at their prices though), Summer House in 'Sconset, and I think... Nantucket Landfall might have a cottage too.

Now for the Vineyard. Shiretown Inn, Daggett House, and Jonathan Munroe house all in Edgartown have cottages or a cottage. Im sure there are others but those are ones I recall.

Nantucket restaurants I can comment on.
Company of the Cauldron, American Seasons, Ropewalk, and Toppers are all good as is Chanticleer.
May 27th, 2003, 09:18 AM

Hi,
Visited M.V. last August w/ whole family and then Nantucket in Sept.
Nantucket win's!
Keep in mind though that in Sept. there were no crowds at all, and that certainly added to the charm.
Nevertheless, B&B's are resonable and close to town. We biked everywhere.
Bike paths make this an easy alternative. Leave the car on the mainland. Food is gourmet quality, no matter what your budget is.
We're going back in 2 weeks.
Pete
May 27th, 2003, 09:22 AM

I realize generalization are dangerous, but most people seem to prefer Nantucket , unless you're looking for more solitude and less to do -- that's MV.
May 31st, 2003, 11:39 PM

Before our son came along, my husband and I vacationed on Nantucket for a week (this was about 3 yrs ago). It is such a charming island. We have never stayed on the Vineyard but I can't imagine anything being much better than Nantucket. Stayed at a place called the Wauwinet (awesome, fantastic) but was NOT within walking distance to town. Still, worth the $$ plus transportation was not a problem as the hotel provided a jitney service to and from town something like every 1/2 hour or hour. I would recommend this place and Nantucket highly. One of our best vacations.
Jun 2nd, 2003, 05:19 AM

Puddin, I love Wauwinet too. Never stayed there but have had wonderful dinners there. sigh
Jun 3rd, 2003, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies! My husband and I are starting to look at Nantucket over Martha's Vineyard now. I will check out the recommended resort. THANK YOU!
Jun 3rd, 2003, 07:45 PM

Count me among those who've visited Nantucket and returned over and over again and still haven't gotten around to Martha's Vineyard yet.

Every time we visit, once we get off the ferry, check into the inn, and set out, we could not have be more thrilled just to BE there!

I doubt we'll ever get around to visiting all the appealing dining destinations as we keep returning to the same ones we adore.
Jun 4th, 2003, 02:13 AM

I've been to Martha's Vineyard 5 times and absolutely love it there. I've never gone in the "high season" though. From what I hear it's a completely different atmosphere. We always stay in Oak Bluffs in a B & B overlooking the water. If you go to MV for a week I would highly recommend either taking your car on the ferry (make reservations NOW) or renting a car for at least part of the time you'll be there. Everyone we've ever talked to that was there for more than a few days and didn't have a car really regreted it. The island is much bigger than Nantucket and a car is necessary to explore it fully. Definitely check out the glass blowing place and the winery if you go. We took the ferry over to Nantucket last year and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately it only allowed us to stay for 4 hours. We're returning to MV this September and flying to Nantucket for a day so we'll have more time to explore this lovely island. I personally think you should check out both but I think there will be more to do for a week in MV. Unless of course you just want a chance to veg out and relax in which case either island would work but Nantucket is going to be more expensive. Have fun!