Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If planning on a relaxing weekend after a long trip, which place would you stay and why? I am trying to determine the main differences between the two. Also, any views on the Wauwinet or the Charlotte Inn? We would like to relax and possibly view wildlife/nature while enjoying exceptional food and wine.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 02:28 PM

Nantucket. It's a different experience.

I've always felt that Martha's Vineyard could be a cluster of upscale coastal towns located just about anywhere. Nice in its own way, but....
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 02:55 PM

Nantucket is a much smaller island. It is a bit more upscale than Martha's Vineyard.

Both have nice hotels, shopping and dining options.

The Vineyard has more biking trails which doesn't sound of interest to you. It is also a shorter ferry ride from the Cape.

Both are very crowded all summer.

I like them both but would probably favor Nantucket for a quiet relaxing food and wine weekend.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 04:54 PM

I would also lean toward Nantucket. Relaxing, more of a nature/rural setting, and laid back.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 05:20 PM

if nature and wildlife are what you are after, I don't think the Charlotte Inn is the right choice on the Vineyard. It's right in Edgartown. Very nice, but not a natural setting at all. Maybe consider the Outermost Inn, on the cliffs in Aquinnah. That would be more relaxing I think.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 06:22 PM

I am always surprised when people say to choose Nantucket over Martha's Vineyard if you want nature, wildlife and relaxing, dining,etc -

I spend time in both each summer for the past 30 years and I say it is a toss up.

Each island has all those things and more to offer,
There are parts of each that you could be anywhere on the Cape, parts of each that have the stores/shops/etc -

and parts of each that have the most amazing, secluded spots - quiet restaurants and peaceful innes -

I always wonder - those who think MV doesn't have these things - have they done all the wildlife/nature walks - check out www.thetrustees.org -
the Mytoi Gardens, the seclude walks through woods that open up to a private stretch of beach - the kayak trips in the lagoons and waterways just full of amazing water/wildlife -

and yes, there are similar spots on Nantucket -

Go upisland on MV to Outermost Inn as China Cat suggested - very secluded - lovely meals, our traditional family gathering for dinner twice over the summer - with great walks from the property and all around the clay cliffs and beaches on both sides -

or the Beach Plum Inn is another beautiful spot on MV - and there are other lovely restaurants (not in Edgartown, Vineyard Haven or Oak Bluffs) but out of the way - Lamberts Cove, Beach Plum etc -

as well as some great french restaurants and garden dining in the other towns, with exceptional food and wines.

MV is so much more than the few "main towns" many visitors tend to stick to, just like Nantucket is so much more than Main Street and the Wauwinet.

On Nantucket, my favorite beach/dining/wine is the Galley on the Beach - stay at Cliffside.

www.cliffsidebeach.com
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 06:34 PM

Also on Nantucket, the Summer House (their location in Siasconset) might fit the bill for you - secluded - great beach, pool and outdoor dining on the beach, nice restaurant - also locations in town so shuttles back and forth for guests shoudl you want a day 'downtown'

I also don't know where you are coming from - but you might want to consdier newport, rhode isladn adn a place like Castle Hill -

Here are a few threads that might help you decide
on MV

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34697932

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34692877

they are older but full of ideas

you can type 'nantucket' into the search this forum bar and also come up with a bunch of threads cmoparing the two and Nantucket trip reports
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 06:39 PM

looking over this sentence it didn't 'come out right' -

"and there are other lovely restaurants (not in Edgartown, Vineyard Haven or Oak Bluffs) but out of the way - Lamberts Cove, Beach Plum etc - "

this was not to say there are not fabulous restaurants in the towns of Edgartown - b/c there are many -or VH or OB - but that there are also many outside of the towns as well -

Just like in Nantucket, you could stay at Summer House or Cliffside and trek into town for a meal or take all your meals at those resorts - I could eat for three days straight lunch and dinner at the Galley - where they will even lift your table and put it right on the sand for you - just in case you don't feel like staying 'inside' under the awning or in the midst of all the other diners - and you can eat literally on the beach watching a great sunset - just fabulous !
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 08:48 PM

I have a house on at the end of Main St. in Nantucket, although I let my horrid relatives stay there as I prefer my quiet cottage in the Poconos. I just can't stand all the day-trippers who sit on my front steps and eat ice cream and look through my windows. (I always feel like I am underdressed for an audience.)

Years ago, Nantucket was quiet and secluded. Not any more.

Is 21 Federal still open? If it is, you should have a nice meal there.

Thingorjus
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 04:23 AM

The Wauwinet is quiet and peaceful and has both a boat launch and a van for getting you into or out of town. It costs but is a great place to relax, so friends tell me. The food and wine are certainly exceptional. I concur on the recommendation of the Summer House in Sconset (not necessarily in town) from the ever-reliable Escargot.

Both islands suffer from daytrippers and from rude people generally who do invade private spaces and do sometimes sit on people's doorsteps, as marginal_marginiela says.

I feel particularly sorry for the people who own the house next to Black Eyed Susan's. People waiting for tables make lots of noise and often sit on their front steps and talk on their cell phones. It was particularly horrible last year because the owner of the house died while landing his plane, and his body was never recovered. The family got no consideration at all and were angry when I asked how they would feel if someone came to their house and sat on their front steps. But I live five minutes walk from Main Street and rarely hear a sound except for my neighbors' landscapers.

Both islands are very busy in July and August. Things begin to quiet down after the second week in August when people with kids in public schools generally depart.

Both islands are chilly in May and June and wonderful, generally, in late August and September.

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 05:16 AM

Ackislander I was looking for you back in July when I came back from Nantucket - and was so disappointed that the burgers at Madaket are no longer - do you know why that place closed? I thought it was fabulous...burgers, bear, close the box game.... we were sad it was gone.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 05:16 AM

not bear, BEER !