Is it a rush schedule, please comment

May 31st, 2003, 10:23 PM
Original Poster

Is it a rush schedule, please comment

We have finally made up the schedule for our vacation in LA and San Diego in July:
Day 1: arrive at noon, check in and visit downtown, Central Market, Angel's Flight (available or not?). Then go to Hollywood Boulevard, Beverly Hills, Farmer's Market
Day 2: Univrsal Studio, then take the Metro rail to Anaheim in the evening
Day 3: Disneyland
Day 4: Knott's Berry Farm
Day 5: Adventureland, then take Greyhound to San Diego in the evening
Day 6: San Diego Zoo during the day, Gaslamp Quarter in the evening
Day 7: SeaWorld during the day, Old town in the evening
Day 8: take Greyhound back to LA at noon, then go directly to LAX for the plane (any suggestion where we should go in the morning? How about take the ferry to Coronado Island, or just take a 2-hour tour cruise?)
I'm traveling with my 8-year-old daughter. Do you think it's a trip too busy for her? I'm just worried we'll turn out to be walking all day like camels in the desert; hot, exhausted and thirsty. Please share with me your experience and idea.
May 31st, 2003, 10:37 PM

Um... Haven't been to LA so can't help you there. We stayed too busy in San Diego alone and couldn't make it up there. We went in Nov last year with a then 2 year old. We ran out of time in Sea World. We stayed from noon to closing and still didn't see it all. It probably depends on the behavior of the child for the Gaslamp Quarter. We couldn't do it. You will be sweaty and dirty after the zoo though. I wish we had gotten to Old Town earlier in the day because some shops nearby were closed. Just a tip that the soap store has yummy, healthy honey sticks for the kids. And great soap for mom. I liked the goat milk ones. Coronado is very nice if you have time for it. Sounds too rushed for my family, others might do it though.
May 31st, 2003, 10:38 PM

Oh, and the soap store had healthy natural chewing gum too.
Jun 1st, 2003, 10:19 PM

that's one heck of a sched. theme park mania! i'd forgo knott's just to give yourself a breather. as a soCal native i went there once when i was 12 and have had no desire to return since(unlike disney, etc.).

Am not familiar at all with adventureland - do you mean the new disney california adventure? if so, i've heard that's a bust, too .it's only been around for a few years, and i've not made the trip. i'm waiting for disney to give you admission to both parks for the same price in the same day. best so far is that they gave you admission to both, but they have to be on seperate days.

what about legoland in carlsbad? my neice and nephews love that place! only issue would be transpo if you don't have a car. would have to take amtrak or greyhound to oceanside (maybe solana beach?).

other than that, have a great time and watch your pocketbook. there always seems to be some discount floating around for these places (backs of coke cans, supermarket shopping bags, etc.)
Jun 2nd, 2003, 04:50 AM

Hmmm, seems awfully ambitious to me. Instead of going from theme park to theme park, have you considered spending a day or two at one of the many beautiful beaches here in southern California?

Theme parks can be very tiring. The weather will be hot and the lines will be long. Add in the inconvenience of traveling by Greyhound bus and public transportation, and you will have some very long days.

I would skip Knotts Berry Farm. You may like strolling through the Gaslamp but I don't think it has much to interest an 8 year-old. And do you really want to run yourself ragged the day of arrival? Depending on where you are coming from, you might be jetlagged and not up to such a busy first day.

I can understand you wanting to see all you can while you're here, but you and your daughter may enjoy the trip more if you don't try to cram so much in.
Jun 2nd, 2003, 07:15 AM

my 2 cents (probably worth less),

Day 1: are you joking? if you have a long journey in coming, this will wipe you out. do you plan on just driving by or stopping and enjoying?
Day 2: the metro "rail" involves bus transfers not nice with luggage, etc.
day 3; great
day 4; great (I'd consider California Adventure)
day 5; what's this? CA adventure? again, skip the greyhound and consider the train or one-way car rental.
day 6; zoo great, there is nothing for an 8 year old in the gas lamp at night, decent restaurants though
day 7; great

Your dependency on public transportation is unrealistic considering everything you want to do. How are you planning on getting around in each area? especially day one? Renting a car for a week will save you time and probably money.

This doesn't sound like much of a vacation, just a check list of things to accomplish.
Jun 2nd, 2003, 07:21 AM

The bridge over the River Kwai was built with a more relaxed schedule than the one that you propose. Double the rations for all prisoners on this jaunt.
Jun 2nd, 2003, 08:04 AM

That last day is particularly rough travelling from SD to LAX and then flying home. You might split your time in LA to spend some time there at the end of your trip. Take a bus from Anaheim to LAX.
Jun 2nd, 2003, 08:52 AM

Yeah, this definitely looks like too full of a schedule - esspecially with an 8 year old. I agree with the other posters to cut out some of the amusement parks and spend a couple days relaxing on the beach.

Also, for Old Town, I definitely think you should go earlier. I'm not sure there is much to do in the evenning except go to some of the restaurants and clubs outside the old square - which is probably not something an 8 year old would be too interested in. If you go during the day, the museums will be open, as well as the visitor's center and an old adobe. I think your daughter would probably really enjoy seeing how people lived back then and what things were like. There is a free daily tour at 11 am with a docent - the docent for the tour we took was great, very funny, lots of information.
Jun 2nd, 2003, 01:08 PM

Brooklyn Bomber is right, and crack zackzack up.
Jun 2nd, 2003, 01:26 PM

Day 2: Univrsal Studio, then take the Metro rail to Anaheim in the evening

The Metro rail does not travel from Universal Studio to Anaheim. The Metro Rail stops in downtown LA, Union Station. You'd need to travel to a Metrolink train when you reach Union Station in order to go to Anaheim. Metrolink doesn't run that often in the evenings. Visit the metrolink website (I think it's www.metrolink.com or net or search under "Metrolink")

Also, I believe Angel's Flight is still closed.

I don't know about taking Greyhound, especially from downtown LA....Amtrak would be better imho....

Just glancing at your itinerary....it does seem "busy".
Jun 2nd, 2003, 01:40 PM

This itinerary resembles a Forced Death March in its relentlessness. Take everyone's suggestions and TAKE A BREAK FROM THE THEME PARKS.

Not to beat a dead horse, but WHO even gave you the slightest hint that you could take on such an itinerary without a car? Sheer madness, to be brutally honest. Do yourself a favor-- rent the car, it's not that hard to drive in this area (it's not nearly as complicated and ripped-up as Boston, not nearly as full of bad drivers as, say, Florida). You'll enjoy yourself a lot more.
Jun 2nd, 2003, 01:45 PM
m367

The Red Line goes from Universal to Union Station. From there you can take the Metrolink or Amtrak to Anaheim.
www.metrolinktrains.com
With scheduling, it may not be possible, but taking the Amtrak from Anaheim to San Diego is a nice ride, and then I, agree, that taking Amtrak to LA.

Jun 2nd, 2003, 01:50 PM

I don't even know the area very well, but I get exhausted just by reading your schedule!
Are you really going to want to spend a day at a theme park and then spend that evening touring another part of the city? Sounds like WAY TOO MUCH! You won't have time to breathe and enjoy....
Jun 2nd, 2003, 02:09 PM

I agree with others that this is really alot for an 8 year old child. Since you do not have a car, how had you planned to do downtown LA, Central Market, Hollywood Blvd, Beverly Hills and Farmer's Market? What is your expectation of Beverly Hills? It may not be what you're looking for.

Rather than going to Knotts Berry Farm (it's ok, but not if you're already doing so many amusement parks) you might want to do a multi day visit to Disneyland/California Adventure (assuming that's what you meant about Adventureland unless you meant Adventure city in Buena Park- that could be skipped)) so that you won't wear yourself out. It can be quite hot in July so you may want to return to your hotel in the mid afternoon to rest and hit the pool before returning for an evening visit.

I've been to Gaslamp District but I really didn't see much for kids to do there. Lots of good restuarants but after a day at the zoo your 8 yo may want something simple to do in the evening.

Your 6 non-travel days are consumed by the southern CA theme parks. When you get to San Diego you may want to spend some time at the beach.
Jun 2nd, 2003, 11:55 PM

I found out last year while vacationing that my 7 year old daughter appreciated a day off as much as I did. We did the theme parks in July for a week 2 years in a row.The first year by the end of the week I was past tired. The summer heat and the very crowed parks had worn us out. The 2nd year I suggested we go for 2 days and then decide if we need a break. Which we did. She was fine and enjoyed the rest. After all we were on vacation, we went swimming and watched a kids show or two (on TV) together,ETC. This year, again in July (because she will be out of school) we will do the same. Maybe during your travel to and fro you will be resting enough.You can decide. I think just "wing it" once in awhile. Have fun and good luck..........
Jun 3rd, 2003, 08:37 AM

Gotta say another thing or two....

WHY, oh WHY do tourists come to the southern California area and think the whole area is laid out like Disneyland?!? Why do people think Beverly Hills is right next door to Anaheim-- and both are right next door to LAX? Let's do some reality checks, shall we?

Downtown to Beverly Hills seems reasonable at first blush-- maybe 9 miles. Fact is, it's a long 9 miles, lots of red lights through several different parts of LA (some fairly rough)-- and the bus ride will be a crowded one down Wilshire Boulevard, one your child will NOT enjoy. Don't forget, the Red Line train stops in Hollywood, not BH. I can also say that it's a long drive as well.

Downtown to Disneyland is a manageable 28 miles on the freeways. No traffic? 35 minutes. Average day? 50 minutes to one hour. This past Sunday (big-rig accident in downtown)? 1 hour 45 minutes. Take MetroLink from Union Station to Anaheim, then cab to your hotel-- that's eminently do-able.

Disneyland to Sea World? A little over 90 miles. This should take the expected 90 minutes (since you're south of the worst of LA traffic) on the freeway, but one accident and the schedule is hosed. Greyhound is maybe the least pleasant way to travel anywhere; the bus station in San Diego is in a gritty block of Downtown, but walk half a block and it's fine. Two hour Amtrak, however-- not bad!

Greyhound from SD to LA, then LAX? Unless Greyhound offers non-stop LAX service, the LAX trip will require a long, expensive cab ride, or some type of van service. I don't know if I could rely on it. Amtrak has San Diego-LA Union Station service-- 2 hour 45 minute ride. From downtown, the public transportation options are convoluted, but it can be done. With luggage, it becomes unpleasant.

I must urge you to consider renting a car. This is going to be torture-- not a vacation.
Jun 3rd, 2003, 10:18 AM

We did what you have scheduled in two different week-long trips and killed ourselves, young twenties with no children! We had a great time and enjoy going and going but down-time is important. The heat while dry is still hot and will also wear you out, moreso if you are from northern climes. For an 8 yr old I would probably skip Knott's Berry but there is a great water park right across from it (it looked great anyway). Or you could have an off day at the beach then do Medieval (sp?) Times in the evening.

I have read that kids really enjoy LegoLand maybe that could replace Disney Adventure? Just a thought.

I agree that the Gaslamp Quarter really doesn't have much for children - it seemed to be mostly restaurants. I definately agree that Old Town should be done earlier in the day - the shops are what make Old Town fun and if they are closed then there isn't that much to see.

The SD zoo took us all day and we really moved right along. We did not take the bus tour and walked and walked. I don't regret not taking the bus but we had my husband's GPS with us and we tracked 5 miles that day and I did an excellent job of not backtracking, 5 miles in the heat is a long ways. We came home and crashed even though we wanted to get back out (we did have some jet lag from getting up so early to catch our plane).

So listen to everyone here, they are all telling you the same thing. We did rent a car in LA - can't imagine not having it unless your hotel has a shuttle. We did not rent in SD but our hotel had a shuttle to all the places we wanted to go and we were willing to walk more than other people might.

I too like to cram stuff in but my husband who is much slower than I has taught me that we can't see it all and we do need down time too which I also enjoy.

Slow down and have a great time1
Jun 3rd, 2003, 12:52 PM

"Message: Gotta say another thing or two....WHY, oh WHY do tourists come to the southern California area and think the whole area is laid out like Disneyland?!? Why do people think Beverly Hills is right next door to Anaheim-- and both are right next door to LAX? Let's do some reality checks, shall we?"

Maybe because this person has never been here before...it's understandable. I know that when I travel, especially someplace new, I try to research everything, hotels, attractions, transportation options, how to get from point a to point b....
Jun 3rd, 2003, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your valuable inputs.
Yes, it sounds too 'aggressive' to come out with such a busy schedule. That's because we have only eight days to play around and there are so many places we want to go. Also, this is our first time visit. Taking everyone's advice, we think that we have to be flexible, to cut down some activities in case we get too exhausted, and avoid taking long ride during heavy traffic.
I'll post a trip report when we're back, especially for those who's planning a busy trip like us.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO