Reload this Page >

N Y Eve advice from native New Yorkers.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 11:15 AM
Nigel Doran

I am a Londoner, and I don't recommend tourists to do the usual Trafalgar Square thing at N Y Eve. (Busy, full of drunks, sense of forced celebration, impossible to get home etc.)

If I were to come to NYC for Dec 30 - Jan 3, what would you say were the ifalls/benefits? Eg. will all the restaurants be fully booked up and charging over the odds? Will it be impossible to have fun without being hoarded to the tourist areas? Will hotels be hard to find?

Be truthful. (Went to Nice last Dec 31 and had a lovely time. Not too busy. No pushed-up prices. Lovely weather.)

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 11:26 AM
jhm

I don't think it's ever impossible to have fun in NY. That being said, like most big cities, a) most restaurants charge more than they would otherwise on New Year's Eve b) it's usually pretty bad weather around that time of year here c) hotels may be harder to find than usual.

Are you coming to NY to celebrate New Year's Eve, or are you planning a trip to NY which happens to coincide with NYE? I have been in London on New Year's Eve several times (used to live there) and think NY is not NEARLY as awful as London on NYE (for one thing, our "tube" equivalent ALWAYS runs all night).

There are plenty of places to celebrate New Year's Eve in NY that are less touristy and a lot of fun - what are your interests? Also, if you don't want a hotel in the Times Square area, that may help you.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 11:38 AM
Nigel Doran

It would be a trip to a city we like a lot, and know a little, to celebrate NYE. But having a top-hole NYE is not really our be-all and end-all. (Many people, around the world, fall victim of that awful hype that says 'you must have the best time of your life on New Year's Eve otherwise you are a loser'. Don't subscribe to that.)
Love food, drink, architecture, arts. Spending time in 'alternative' areas to the main tourist areas is also appealing.
Like cold weather. Don't mind snow. Like bars, but not clubs really.
Bottom line - quite happy to have a meal early on and then spend time back at the hotel for the midnight hour, but will consider other things that coincide with above interests.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 11:51 AM
juli

Nigel:

Times Square bears some resembolance to Trafalgar Square, you might want to stay away but there are plenty of other places to be on New Years, Manhattan is a big place. But it gets REALLY crowded at that time of year. If you want to see shows I suggest getting tickets now. Unless you like the back row.
Restaurants in NY can always be hard to get into unless you have your tea at 10:30 (I work with Brits).
And you mentioned the weather...Lovely in Jan. not likely. Its cold REALLY cold. Its been brutal the past few years. Close to below zero or at least in single digits.

But there is no where like NYC during the holidays, it puts on a bright face and it should be experienced. Just plan ahead, like now. Most places will charge top dollar so if you find any bargains they need to be soo.

Good Luck and enjoy

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:01 PM
Philip

You should book ahead if you are planning to come at that time as the hotels do get booked up. There are so many restaurants in NYC that you will not have trouble. Some will jack up the prices (New Year's Eve special) and some will remain the same.

There are plenty of New Year's Eve events other than Times Square. They usually have "First Night" celebrations around town with things like dancing in Grand Central Station and concerts around the city.

January 1 is usually very quiet in the city.