New Year's Eve trip to New York City

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking to take our family of 5 to New York City from Dec. 26-Jan 2, 2010. We have never been to NYC and are looking for suggestions of hotels, sights to see. Our kids are 13, 16, & 18. We would like to "watch the ball drop" on NYEve, but don't know if it's crazy (meaning so crowded you can't stand it). Does anyone that has done this before around this time of year have any suggestions? Are we crazy to think we could book a descent hotel and get a flight this late in the year?
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 01:29 PM

To me going to NYC for New Years sounds crazy, but if you like beeing in the thick of things then go for it. I know hotels rates are crazy expensive at that time. If price isn't a concern you might want to look at the Double Tree Times Square. All the rooms are suites and it's right there were all the action is.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 02:35 PM

Go to Central Park, Little Italy, and Rockerfeller center. Look into the water taxi new years eve cruise. I live in N.Y and to be right there to watch the ball drop is crazy. It's very very crowded and cold. Your better off watching the ball drop from your hotel rm in N.Y. Have fun, and enjoy N.Y!
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 02:42 PM

Actually, hotels might be slightly less expensive (than before Christmas) for the first few days of your trip, rising again as it gets closer to New Year's Eve.

The whole Times Square thing sounds awful to me, but obviously, only you can decide. The way it works is they put up barricades as people start gathering to watch the ball (which happens many many hours in advance of midnight). As more people arrive, the barricades move farther and farther uptown. Once in a "pen", you can't leave, or, rather, you can leave, but you can't get back in. Which means no going to the bathroom, no leaving for a cup of coffee, no saving places for others in your family etc. If that sounds like fun, then go for it!!
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 03:47 PM

kats05, we'll be in NY roughly around the same times (Dec 25 to Jan 4). I booked earlier in the year at Affinia Dumont and got a good deal ($270/night) for a suite (includes a little kitchenette) but I think most places are booked now or at a very high rate. The other recommendation was Radio City Apts. I also saw some availability at Affina Manhattan (although they say the Dumont is a better location).

We thought we wanted to see the ball drop too but after all the advice here, we've changed our mind and plan to go to central park or something else instead that night. Apparently the area in times square are all sectioned off with police barriers and it would be difficult to say, go to the loo and find your spot easily again. Not to mention that they say it will be really cold. Yeah, we opted out after all the advice and that's me and my husband (no kids). It's up to you of course.

I hope mclaurie chimes in here - had very good advice.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 03:52 PM

"don't know if it's crazy (meaning so crowded you can't stand it)"

I think that for most people, New Year's Eve in Times Square is the perfect example of "crazy (meaning so crowded you can't stand it"!

Most enjoyable for the 18-25 year olds, hanging out with friends.

(kats05, did you know that this was tagged "Illinois , Indiana , Kansas , Minnesota ")
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 04:43 PM

First of all, Dec 31 is THE most expensive hotel night in NYC - and for a family of 5 will not be cheap.

As for watching the ball drop there will be more than a million people in the street. They start gathering at around 3 pm and then have to stand until after midnight. the police enclose you in pens as each block fills up - and although you can get out you can;t get in again. Also, there are no port a potties, so you have to hope there is a restaurant in your area that will let you use facilities - not likely. The subways into the area close off at the same time - so you have to walk in from the closest stop - which may be 10 or 12 blocks away. And walk out again after the ball drops.

There is extremely tight security and you aren't allowed large back packs or any alcohol.

I did this once, when I was in college, and it was a warm night - about 40 - and I would never consider it again. Just too boring and tiring standing there all that time. And you can;t just join the crowd at the last moment- since hotels and restaurants in the area block off their front doors to prevent that (they want to sell you an incredibly expensive meal or room). for perspective, last year a view room for 2 at the Marriott Marquis was more than $1500 for the night.

You're much better off having a reasonable ethnic dinner on the upper west side and then seeing the fireworks over Central Park.

Also, suggest you look for hotel arrangements now - since with 5 people you will need either 2 rooms or a suite and bargains go very quickly.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 06:22 PM

We have a bunch of new hotels intown so some are not quite as well known yet, so you should be able to find something. The Embassy Suites downtown, has some good rates, and since they are in lower Manhattan, will be away from the "madding crowds", and you have a great view from there of the city and the city lights all around.

A couple of ideas for New Years Eve, there is a wonderful concert that the kids will talk about for years, at St. John the Divine, it's FREE and crowded, but if you would like tickets, (since I am a singer in the chorus) I can get you tickets to sit with the friends and family of the chorus. From there you get a beautiful view of the Cathedral. Harry Smith is our MC and often we get some wonderful performers from Broadway and the Met Opera.

Judy Collins and Lauren Flannigan are regular performers, to give you some idea of the level of music. There is a full orchestra and over 100 in the chorus. I have not heard who our famous guest is for this year yet.

The end of the concert is really wonderful everyone has a candle (all 4,000 attendees) and we sing "Ole Lang Syne" and "Let There Be Peace On Earth". The concert starts at 7pm and we're out by 9pm so plenty of time to head out to dinner or down to Times Square.

There are several restaurants close to the church and several of us head out to dinner, after the concert. Join us if you would like.

You can actually see the ball drop from quite a way up Broadway, and that is where I would suggest you go, instead of standing IN Times Square. The whole area is shut down TIGHT early in the evening so if you are there, you can't leave. There are toilets in the square but ugggg, you'd be using them with 500,000 other people.

There are fireworks in Central Park some years or in the Harbor, and as you get closer to your trip, more details will be in the papers of activities.

Hope this helps and please let me know if you would like concert tickets.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 10:39 PM

hate to highjack this but travelbuff, can I have two tickets for that evening? Pretty please? As I mentioned above, we'll also be in town that night and would LOVE to join since we don't yet have plans. mkmcooper at gmail dot com.

Thanks!
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 09:49 AM

Maria, sure no problem. I usually post this closer to the holiday that I have tickets available. You are now on the list for 2 tickets.

You will be sitting up on the alter in the choirloft or seating on the stage in back of the chorus and orchestra. You will have a great view of everything, especially the end of the concert.

We can arrange to meet up at the door so after our dress rehearsal and I can give you the tickets. I'll also give you my cel phone number so we make sure not to miss each other. My email is [email protected].
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 12:17 PM

THANKS TRAVELBUFF!!!! Will email you closer to the time?
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 06:45 PM

If anyone else is interested please let me know. We can get a total of 10 tickets. Also the concert is FREE so you don't really have to get tickets, but because we are singing our friends and family get the best seats in the house.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 03:11 PM

travelbuff... I hope everyone appreciates your wonderful offer. If DH and I weren't so long in the tooth I'd claim two of those tickets -
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 04:46 PM

Hi Travelbuff....I did email me you are your yahoo account as I would like to take you up on your generous offer. I really appreciate it. It is a generous offer for sure. If your email is not g_tweedy at yahoo, can you resend it so I can forward the email I sent? Thanks again!!!!
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 06:00 PM

Yes I got your email and sent you a note giggles, and you are on my list. I have 5 tickets left, so anyone else want them let me know.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 06:01 PM

Ya know, lol, I was thinking we could do a "mini GTG" after the concert.