Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Washington, DC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Tom

Message: I am trying to decide where to stay during our long weekend vacation to DC in October. We are a family of 3, with an 11 year-old boy. We are driving and want to avoid driving (and parking) in DC proper, so we plan find a base in the 'burbs and use the Metro. Right now I am looking at either the Hyatt in Arlington(Rosalyn) or the Hilton in Crystal City. Both have good weekend rates. I am open to suggestions and appreciate any insight

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Jenq

We enjoyed the Embassy Suites in Crystal City. The pool was small, but it's great to have two rooms, kitchen stuff, and that huge breakfast. When we stayed there, they had a free shuttle to the nearest Metro stop, even though it was just a couple of blocks, and they offered free parking in their garage for guests who were AAA members.

I have been told that the ES in Alexandria is right across the street from the Metro stop.

For good hotel rates try Capitol Reservations, at washingtondchotels.com

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 10:00 AM
ddd

Both places will be good bases for travelling into DC to tour.

My most recent impression of the CC Hilton is that it's a bit threadbare. I stayed there for 2 weeks last January and the service and management was terrible but it was the slow season and the DC hotel industry was still tanking after Sept. 11. I might expect a more responsive staff these days.

You didn't indicate what your evening plans but both Rosslyn and Crystal City are primarily business locations and lack a certain nighttime ambiance (but have great weekend hotel rates!)

You might take a look at rates for places in Alexandria (Old Town area). It's a great place to wander around (shops, restaurants, galleries) day and evening and might be a more relaxing place to "come home to" after a day of touring downtown. There is a metro at the top of King Street to get you into town.

I also spent a couple of weeks last winter in the Sheraton Suites and the Holiday Inn in Old Town. I can recommend them both.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 10:40 AM
JD

Stayed at the Crystal City Hilton a few months ago on a business trip and found it to be a good hotel. Nice small health club, with (rooftop)pool that has outside deck and skylights.
The main hesitation I would have for you is that not only is Crystal City kind of dead at night, the walk to the metro stop is a bit longer than you'd think. They kept telling me "about 3 blocks" but to my NYC very-used-to-walking legs, I would say it's closer to 8 or 9 blocks (close to half a mile) by the time you actually find the metro entrance which is near an office building. Not a huge hike, but if you're traveling with a tired kid, you and he may find it a bit much, particularly after a day of touring.
BTW, what do you consider good rates?
When I was there in the spring, I had a weekday expedia special rate of $70--hotel parking (which you'll probably want) was another $14 per day

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Tom

JD - I am looking at 89 to 94 a night for Thurs through Sunday.

I think I am leaning toward the Hyatt and Rosslyn location at this point, though I haven't heard anything about that hotel. Hyatts are usually pretty good properties. I think becuase of its proximity to, and view of, downtown DC it will give me the best sense of being in DC without actually being over there.

Also, I am getting the impression from what I am seeing and hearing of Crystal City is that Crystal City might be overwhelming, impersonal and not very interesting. We did Manhattan last Fall, stayed in Midtown and loved it, but I get the feeling that Crystal City on a weekend would be like Midtown Manhattan without the sizzle, excitement and people - in other words, kinda big and boring.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Mike

Word of caution, Roslyn is also "overwhelming, impersonal and not very interesting." Its a business area and will be dead during the evenings and weekends. Most of the nice amenities--bookstores, Starbucks, food--may be closed on a weekend. In that way, it is quite similar to Crystal City and the reason it is so cheap.

In terms of Metro accessibility, you will be right near the Metro in Roslyn, a little further in CC. OTOH, CC is three stops from "The Mall" on the Yellow while Roslyn is probably 5-6 stops from "The Mall" on the Blue or Orange.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Tom

Thanks you everyone for the comments.

How much of a hike is it to Georgetown from Rosslyn across the Key Bridge? Is it a safe, easy walk?

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 12:40 PM
r-travels

Take the deal at the Hyatt Rosslyn!

I've stayed a couple of times nearby at the Quality Inn Iwo Jima. The Hyatt as directly across the street from the Metro Station, and looks to be a nice place. I've seen good prices for it to, but never at times I'm visiting.

Yes, the area is kind of "dull", and there's little for nightlife, but it's a clean and safe area, and a short Metro ride to anything else you wish to see. In addition, you could walk to Iwo Jima Memorial, or to Georgetown. I have stayed at Embassy Suite Alexandria as well, but it's a little further ride to downtown DC .. thus I'd say Rosslyn.

As a side note, Rosslyn's long escalator is the 2nd highest in the Metro System. Metro's highest, Wheaton, is also the highest in the free world, according to an escalator repairman I spoke w/ last time in DC, at Rosslyn. (there is no X in my REAL eddress)

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Mike

Tom, it's actually a really lovely walk across the Key Bridge to G-town. While Roslyn is dull and boring, the walk across the Key is beautiful.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 02:25 PM
ddd

I agree with Mike...the walk across Key Bridge to Georgetown is a pretty one. Do it in daylight...not because it's particularly dangerous at night (except for the traffic!) but because Gtown offers little of interest to your 11 year old.

Wilson Blvd is a main road in Rosslyn up the hill into Arlington. There's a wealth of fine dining (especially Asian and Indian) up there.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 03:01 PM
E.

Crystal City and Rosslyn are effectively DEAD on the weekends, and not far from that on weekdays. Oh sure, locals will mention one or two divey little local joints that stay open on Saturdays, but that's all there is--just the one or two. Forget finding any decent sit-down restaurants. It will be fine if all you're going to do is come to the hotel to crash at the end of the day--I just wanted you to be forewarned! For what its' worth, I would HIGHLY recommend Old Town Alexandria instead: the Embassy Suites is big, new, across the street from the Metro and a couple of blocks from lots of restaurants. Plus, Old Town has a family feel to it. Good luck!

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 07:51 PM
foodie

Have to differ with the previous reply about Crystal City, even though I hated the idea of it too. Reposting from elsewhere:
Message: Crystal City: at a conference a year ago I was devastated at being stuck there (the Hyatt I think) -- and then discovered the 23rd street restaurant corridor. What a goldmine for those of us from the boonies! Like a miniature Adams-Morgan - Thai, Vietnamese, French, Mexican, etc. all reasonably priced. Makes highrise suburbia much more palatable

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Ann

Definitely stay in Rosslyn. It's an easy, and as mentioned, pretty walk to Georgetown. You're also very close to the Courthouse-Clarendon-Ballston corridor with lots of restaurants, etc. Crystal City isn't called the Concrete Jungle for nothing.

I love OT Alexandria, but if you plan to spend most of your time in the city, Rossyln is simply closer and more convenient.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 01:40 PM
kal

My vote also goes to Rosslyn.
We've stayed at the Key Bridge Marriott several times and have stayed at the Hyatt. Like them both but the views and restaurants at the KB Marriott were better. Hyatt's slightly closer to the Metro.

The walk across the Key Bridge on a clear night is very pretty.
Kal

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:03 PM
Shawn

Tom - not sure if you've already left for your trip but some comments:

- What is the aversion to staying downtown? There are a lot of great hotels right in the middle of everything, including the major brands like Marriott (JW Marriott, Washington Marriott near Georgetown, Renaissance Mayflower), Hilton (was married at the Capitol Hilton), Hyatt Sheraton and many others that may be more unique. Once downtown, you park the car and LEAVE it (yes, it can cost $20-$30 a day for parking) but you won't probably need a car in the city. You can either use the metro (very clean and nice system), take taxis (which are actually fairly cheap in DC) or walk if the weather allows. I agree that Rossyln and Crystal City are more business and apartment areas and kinda boring - not the real flavor of DC (but at the same time, not horrible and I wouldn't consider them the burbs).

- If you are set to stay across the river, the Key Bridge Marriott is a good choice. You can walk over the bridge right into Georgetown (shopping, eating, beautful homes and neighborhoods, etc). and then taxi from there after lunch. This was actually Marriott's first hotel ever! (of course, it's been rebuilt since