Reload this Page >

What to do at New Year in Manhattan?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 07:50 AM
jeff bartlett

My wife and I are coming to Manhattan for 3 days at new year, flying home to England on new year's day evening. We got married in New York in October and thought it would be nice to return to the scene of our latest triumph to see how the city was in winter! What can you recommend for us to do that will not cost a fortune and does not involve standing outside in the cold for hours?!!! We shall be staying next to Madison Square Garden.
Thanks for your help!

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Kim

Jeff, Why don't you take in a good play? There are many to chose from, though not all will be playing on NY eve. This is what we generally do and have always had a great time...you'll stay warm too!

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 05:16 PM
Howard

Some questions:
How much do you want to spend?
What are your interests?
Are you looking for activities for the entire 3 days or just New Year's Eve?

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 06:00 PM
Donna

New Year's Eve? New Year's Day? Which 3 days? My recommendation for New Year's Eve would be to wander about Rockefeller Center (tickets, if you can get them at this late date, to the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectactular would, indeed, be spectacular) during the day, for the lights, decorations, skating rink. Nearly everything "costs a fortune", due to the popularity of visiting the city during the holidays, or involves standing outdoors in the cold. You could wander about admiring the store windows, and visit the Met Museum of Art for the glorious tree within.

Since you're newlyweds, you may want to consider celebrating New Year's Eve by finding a nearby "carry away" buffet, along with your favorite libations, and having a private celebration in your hotel room, while watching all the festivities on TV in the comfort of your warm and cozy hotel room.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Bruce

I too would vote to see a good Broadway play INDOORS. Check playbill.com to see what's playing and prices (or if there are still tickets available). There is nothing better than NY eve in New York City!

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 09:39 PM
Carol

We will be in New York at the same time and checked into plays, most of which only have matinees on New Year's Eve. We got tickets to Proof, a highly rated drama for the 7 PM show on New Years Eve. If you go, look for me, the middle age lady with the white pony tail on top of her head, and say hello.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 11:13 PM
travelbuff

If you are looking for a wonderful evening on New Year's Eve, there is a FREE concert at St. John the Divine one of the largest cathedrals in the world, located at 110th and Amsterdam. The closest subway line is probably the 1.

The concert is the Peace Concert, and has a 200 member chorus and full orchestra. Hosted by Harry Smith each year of CBS, and this year the guest is Laura Flanagan from the New York City Opera.

I think the concert starts at 7pm and we are out around 9, so enough time to go have dinner and enjoy the evening.

If you notice a redhead on the end of the soprano section (that's me).

The chorus was part of the ABC Millenium celebration when we sang Beethoven's 9th.

At the end of the concert everyone has a candle and we sing "Let There be Peace on Earth".

If you can come, you will have a lovely time, and something to remember always.

Hope you can make it.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 04:23 PM
Dee

Hmmm...staying "next to Madison Square Garden." I hope you aren't staying at the Hotel Pennsylvania (actually across the street)? Tell me it ain't so...

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 10:41 PM
ttt

ttt

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 06:04 AM
sss

Please tell us you are not staying at the Hotel Pennsylvania???

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 05:06 PM
max

HEY WHAT THE HELL ALL THE B.B. ON THE HOTEL PA? I MET AND MARRIED THE MOST BOUDASIOUS HOOKER THERE1111

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 05:16 PM
r-travels

I stayed at Penn a few months ago, and while it was no Essex, it was adequate. Had the stay been a planned trip, I would have found some other place, but really, it was ok. And yes, I read Dave Barry & laughed like heck, but remember, Dave writes for laughs, not as a travel reviewer.

TravelBuff, what a great suggestion! I like that area up there too, but will most likely avoid NYC on "amateur night"

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 06:57 PM
chrissy

let the fun find you. Go for a walk there will be PLENTY to do.

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 05:20 PM
NYgal

If you find yourselves near Central park, there's a midnight run -with a costume run-off at 11 pm. Lots of fun to watch - I'm assuming you won't be running...

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 05:55 AM
Abc

Louise Pitre, who stars as Donna Sheridan in the New York company of Mamma Mia!, will lead the first-ever Times Square New Year's Eve Sing-Along on Dec. 31.

At 11:25 PM ET, the Tony-nominated Mamma star will lead New Year's Eve revelers in a sing-along of the Beatles' "All You Need is Love" and Hoyt Axton's "Joy to the World." Lyrics will appear — with the requisite bouncing ball — on the giant Panasonic Astrovision screens located in Times Square.