Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

My first cruise stops in Key West on Friday... Help?

Nov 29th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Please help my wife and me find a good place for lunch and some cocktails while the ship is in port.

Thanks in advance.
Nov 30th, 2008, 03:27 AM

Wow, where do I start? There are so many good places to eat in Key West and a lot of them serve alcohol too. Close ones to the cruise ship dock would probably include Conch Republic Seafood, A&B Lobster, Rooftop Cafe, etc. Just too many to list and I'm sure I'll miss a bunch.
Nov 30th, 2008, 04:11 AM
GBC

For great food in a nice setting I would go to Louie's Backyard. They have cocktails too but you would need a taxi to get there and another to return.

Easier to reach is Margaritaville at 500 Duval St. 305-296-3070 http://www.margaritavillekeywest.com/. The food and the service is actually better than most places I've found in Key West and of course there are the great T shirts.

If you have lots of time, a great visit is the Truman White House. Enjoy.
Nov 30th, 2008, 06:30 AM
cd

If it were me ciaony, I would have a great breakfast on the ship and use my time in Key West to see some of it's attractions. Take the Old Town Trolley ride as soon as you get off the ship and you will learn a lot about where you want to walk to and then just walk and look. Maybe stop at Sloppy Joes for a cocktail and stone crab (if it's in season) walk around the marina and Mallory Square (will your ship be in port for the evening festivites at Mallory Square?)

My point is I would see what all I could see in that small amount of time and just stop for drinks and appetizers along the way. You can always have dinner back on board. IMHO
Nov 30th, 2008, 06:43 AM

I just returned from Key West a couple days ago. Depending on how many hours you have in port, a tour on the trolley or the conch train would give you a good overview of Key West. Both of those take a couple hours though.

If you only have a few hours, I'd head to the Key West Bight. That's where Alonzo's, Conch Republic, Schooner Wharf, Half Shell Raw Bar and a couple other restaurant/bars are.

My favorite bar of the bunch is Schooner Wharf. Live music most afternoon's and an interesting bunch of patrons. Try a Dark & Stormy (Gosling rum and ginger beer). Awesome drink. I don't eat there often, the food is just ok.

We do eat at Half Shell and Conch Republic on a regular basis.

If you can tear yourself away from the Bight, take a wander down Duval. Loads of bars, restaurants, interesting shops. Generally, the quality improves the further south (away from the cruise port) that you go.

There's a great little Mexican restaurant, Salsa Loco, at 918 Duval. It was a new place to us this past trip. Very good food and a pleasant back patio.

If you still have time, get off Duval, and wander some of the side streets and admire the beautiful architecture and stunning tropical landscapes.

Enjoy your day.
Nov 30th, 2008, 07:37 AM

yy
Nov 30th, 2008, 08:38 AM

One of my favorite places for lunch is Mangoes, right on Duval. Some other good suggestions on here as well. How long do you have ?
Nov 30th, 2008, 07:12 PM

We really enjoyed the cocktails at the Rum Barrel and the Rum Bar (in the Rum Runner Guest House)- both on Duval.

El Siboney has great Cuban food. I could get lost in a paper bag, so I can't give directions, but any local will know it.
Dec 1st, 2008, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Cuban food sounds like a plan. Probably a great departure from the chicken fingers and cheeseburgers I'm expecting on the boat.

Thanks!
Dec 1st, 2008, 05:34 AM
cd

ciaony
This is your first cruise? Depending on the Cruise line, you will be eating very fine food on your cruise. Unless you are a pickey eater, you will have many dining choices on board. I can't imagine only eating hamburgers on a cruise.
Dec 1st, 2008, 07:42 AM

We really liked Mangoes - great for people watching, and Duval location is convenient.
Dec 1st, 2008, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Yes, this is my first cruise, but I think it's not exactly a high-end one.

It's a 4-nighter on an older boat (from '96) to Key West and Cozumel.

Royal Caribbean, Grandeur of the Seas.
Dec 1st, 2008, 04:12 PM

If you're interested in a quick, overview tour of Key West:

www.conchtourtrain.com

Then wander along Duval Street.

Enjoy!
Dec 1st, 2008, 04:57 PM
cd

ciaony
Have you checked the reviews of your boat on Cruise Critic? They say the cabins show some wear but the dining gets pretty high marks. You might want to read the reviews if you've not done so: http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/....cfm?ShipID=74
You will have a great time!