Key west cruise stop over-what to do

Aug 16th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Key west cruise stop over-what to do

we have aday stop over in key west. What shoudl we do to pack it in in one day? whats vital not to miss stuff and any activities besides drinking which shall be amust wheever hemingway drank?im a snorkeler altho my party coming with me is not that much in the way of water activities but wull do boats and such .Thanks
Aug 16th, 2005, 08:45 AM

If you want a quick overview of basically the entire key, do the famous Conch Train tour.

And, yes, at least a few hours of bar-hopping on Duval Street is mandatory.

Another option is to book a snorkeling excursion on one of the catamarans that docks near the cruise ships.
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:00 AM
MHS

We took the Conch Train tour, had a key lime pie on a stick, then walked down and toured the Hemingway House, stopped in a wonderful toy store (for Grandchild) while returning to the central area where we also browsed through the "tourist" shops. Hemingway's bar was over-crowded so we stopped at another for conch fritters and a drink. Those were our first conch fritters and remain the best we've had.
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:27 AM

Mallory Square celebration and the sunset there is a must see. It's a carnaval like atmosphere and pretty cool.
Aug 16th, 2005, 09:55 AM

I wouldn't waste time snorkeling in Key West. The coral reefs are far enough out it makes for a long half day. They aren't that impressive at least not compared to most of the rest of the Caribbean.

Doubtful your cruise ship will be there for the sunset. The ones that dock at Mallory Square have to leave before sunset. The rest are usually long gone to get to their next destination.

At the south end of Duval I like to walk through the Bahama Village, climb the lighthouse, see the southernmost point, tour Hemmingway's house and have cocktails on the water at Louie's Backyard.
Aug 16th, 2005, 03:14 PM

We rented mopeds and rode around. Had a nice lunch, at Jimmey Buffets. Went to a mall. Visit Hemmingways house and take the Conch tour train.
Aug 21st, 2005, 12:46 PM

I agree with IndyTravel - not the best snorkeling, and there's so many other things to do! Any of the previous posters' suggestions are good...
Have fun!
Aug 21st, 2005, 02:31 PM

I'd skip the snorkeling too. The Conch Tour Train is a good overview of the island. When you say Hemingway's bar, remember two of them lay claim to that title - Sloppy Joe's and Tony's, which are half a block apart. I prefer Tony's as Sloppy Joe's is way too touristy. Whatever you do, DON'T eat there! I love the Hemingway House as well as climbing the lighthouse across the street from it.
Aug 21st, 2005, 03:39 PM

BTW Key West is the first place I heard the advice, "Wanna die? Rent a moped."

Lots of traffic, too much alcohol, etc.

OK, I'm officially an old fuddy-duddy now.