Wanted: Information/Opinions on Key West

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently switched our Christmas/New Year's week vacation to Key West. We have been down to Florida three other times this week and have always stayed in the Ft.Lauderdale/Miami area. I thought we would try something different this year and I wanted to keep the good airline reservation we had.
I booked the Westin Key West. Any infomation on this resort would be appreciated. I have read mixed reviews and I am a little worried. We enjoy staying in 4*+ and 5* hotels on vacation and we really like luxury hotels.
Also, restaurant and activity reccommendations would be appreciated. We enjoy mainly the beach/pool during the day, but like good restaurants and evening activities/bars.
Also, is 7 nights too long to stay? A friend that has been there told me we'd be bored there that long. I'm not quite sure of that though.
Thanks for your help. Any other Key ideas would be appreciated.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 06:27 PM

First of all, it's important that you realize ALL the beaches in the keys are man-made and most are tiny. The Westin (formerly the Hilton) has no beach at all, which isn't uncommon in Key West. If you're expecting a resort you'll be disappointed.

The Westin has an absolutely perfect location, just next to Mallory Square and the sunset celebrations. But the major complaint I've heard about the hotel (not the Westin, but the Hilton) is that cruise ships dock there during the day and block all water views from the hotel. I've also read unflattering reviews about the service and rooms. Since the hotel has so recently changed from a Hilton property to a Westin property, I have absolutely NO idea what you should expect.

Are you tied to having a water view? If not, I'd recommend you consider the Gardens Hotel or the Marquesa Hotel. Both get great reviews and are in wonderful locations, but not on the water.

If you're willing to spend top dollar....well, wait a minute, this brings up another topic altogether.

The most exclusive place to stay in the keys is Little Palm Island. littlepalmisland.com. Personally, I couldn't be without a tv and phone, but if that sounds like heaven to you, this would be a perfect place!

I've rattled on so long I'll have to answer food questions later. I love Key West and hope you will, too!
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 07:36 PM

I like Key West but it is much more of a "lie around the pool" kind of place than a "lie out on the beach" one.

I remember the Hilton was a property that you had to take a boat over to so I don't see how a cruise ship could block any water views but then again cruise ships dock at several places in Key West: the inner and outer molls as well as at Mallory Square.

The Old Town section is fun but you can easily do that in a day.

Now as to bars..NOW you're talking! BUT, don't expect to see a 4-5-star crowd in a lot of them as Duval Street is not particularly known for "refinement."

I love Key West too but Miami and FLL it isn't.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 01:39 AM

I always enjoy Key West, but I think it would be tough to fill seven days there...unless you are happy just lying around and eating and drinking all day (and really...how bad can THAT be? ).

The sunset celebration at Mallory Square is a must-do. I have also taken Captain Fury's sunset catamaran cruise several times, and that's fun. Two of my favorite restaurants in Key West are Alice's and Mangoes. There are lots of cute shops, boutiques and galleries so bring plenty of plastic. Enjoy!
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 02:13 AM

I think the Keys are a wonderful, amazing place and that if you head straight to Key West, you are missing out on 120 miles of possible fun! Look at spending 2-3 nights at the Moorings or Cheeca Lodge in Islamorada. Both are very nice properties. Cheeca has a nice, new spa (that when last I checked, you had to be on property to use). For dining, there are 2 sister properties almost right across the street from Cheeca. The first, Pierre's, is more formal. The other, Morada Bay, is right on the sand. Pierre's takes reservations, MB doesn't. Be sure to get yellowtail snapper at at least one of them. You also want to get there before sunset so you can have a drink, listen to the music and watch the sun go down.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 03:22 AM

If you rent a car, you CAN have some good beach time; you've just got to drive to get to it. I highly recommend a day trip to Bahia Honda. It's a natural beach and Dr. Beach named it his best beach in America one year. Frankly, I don't think it has anything on USVI beaches, or even Gulf Coast beaches, but it is pretty darned nice. But don't expect the water to be especially warm around Xmas.

On the way back from (or to) Bahia Honda, you can stop at Mangrove Mamas for a bite. I think it's around MM 22.

There's also a pretty decent beach on Marathon called Sombrero. But it's not worth a day trip from Key West.

I second the recommendation for the Marquesa. You'd be hard-pressed to find a prettier pool (two, actually) to lay around by. Much nicer than any "beach" in Key West. It's amazing that this little haven is just moments away from honky-tonk Duval Street.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all yor replys. I chose the Westin because of Starpoints and we will have a car. I considered the Cheeca Lodge and one or two nights at Little Palm Island, but they are booked this week.
Thanks again! I am printing all these posts out and putting them in my itineary.
I am a little worried about the resort and the beach situation, but I called the hotel and for $20 a day you can use the beach on Sunset Key (I heard this is nice). Also, I am getting three nights free on Starpoints, so for Christmas week, I am doing pretty well on the price. Most hotels in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale were around $500. Thanks again!
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 07:46 AM

FWIW these are my favorites...

1. snorkeling...
-afternoon on the Floridays
-combo snorkel / sunset sail on the Caribbean Spirit
-all day on the Sebago Island T'ing

2. Dinner
-the Rooftop Cafe on Front (don't miss the crabcakes
-Santiago's Bodega on Petronia past Chapman Lane for tapas
-El Meson de Pepe just past Wall Street for Cuban

3. Happy Hour
-Kellys on Caroline and Whitehead for margueritas
-Half-Shell Raw Bar at the Bight for Key West Sunset Ale and shrimp
-Alonzos at the Bight for oysters (ha;f-price during HH)
-Conch Republic Seafood Co at the Bight for blackened fish sandwich.

4.Gotta go to
-BO's Fishwagon on Caroline. Just go.

Pjk
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 08:28 AM

I stayed there when it was the Hilton and went over to Sunset Key. It's a nice little beach, but they only allow a certain number of people to go over per day, so make sure to check when they start handing out the passes if you have your heart set on going on a certain day. There are umbrellas and chairs provided which was nice. There is also a restaurant on Sunset Key that is popular for dinner when the sun is setting.

For a PERFECT beach, take a sea plane (Seaplanes of Key West) to the Dry Tortugas. Take the earliest flight they have to avoid the masses coming in on the ferry. When we went, it was just the 4 of us from the plane, the pilot and a few campers. I had the beach to myself since my husband was snorkling and the others were walking around the fort. We left just as the ferry was arriving. Seaplanes of Key West includes snorkling gear and they pack you a cooler of drinks.