Florida Keys Itinerary Advice

Old Oct 4th, 2004, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Florida Keys Itinerary Advice

My husband and I are planning a trip through the keys over Thanksgiving and I'm looking for some advice on our itinerary.

We fly into Miami early Monday morning and rent a convertible and drive to Key West

3 nights in Key West - Staying at the Southernmost point Bed and Breakfast. From Key West do a day trip to the lower keys and snorkeling in Looe Key. Any recommendations on restauraunts or other tours or activities to do in Key West?

4 nights in Key Largo - Any reccomendations on where to stay in Key Largo? We plan on spending a day in the everglades and spending a day snorkeling the Statue of Christ of the Abyss. Any other activities we should look into in Key Largo?

Would you spend 4 nights in Key Largo or an extra night in Key West? What about a night in Islamorada?

Thanks for any help!

Old Oct 4th, 2004, 06:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello..... 4 night in Key Largo is too much time... there is actually not much to do beside the water avtivities. You should consider more days in Key West and maybe a maximum of 2 days in Key Largo. Key West has lots of nice restaurants, some night life and beautiful weather. Do not expect to find lots of beaches in Key West, there is only one and not the best. A good idea is to take the daily cruises to different islands around..
How about 2 night in South Beach, it is very nice and lot more to do.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 07:41 AM
cd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with the above poster. 2nights will be plenty in Key Largo. The Holiday Inn with water view would be a good choice. Your ride down the Keys will be beautiful. A stop at Bahi Honda (sp?) is well worth your time. IMO once in Key WEst you should stay in Old Town near Mallory Square and the harbor, great sunsets and celabrations! It would be a long walk from Southernmost Point. Just my two cents.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 08:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you like to snorkel, you might want to consider taking a boat ride out of Key West to the Dry Tortugas (sp?). The trip normally includes a light breakfast and lunch out at the Island. Snorkeling is good out there and the water normally warm and inviting.
You also might want to leave a day/night in your travels so you can stop on your way down or back as there are many beautiful sights to see and good places to stay and/or eat.
Mangoes is a good place to eat in Key West. Food and service is always top notch.
We enjoy all the places along the waterway to sit and watch the traffic, both boats and people.
A sunset cruise is fun and gives a different experience than Mallory Square Sunset - which, of course, you don't want to miss.
There are many boats down there that offer morning/afternoon snorkeling tours.
We enjoyed the tour of Hemingway's House and the Truman White House.
Have fun and enjoy your Thanksgiving.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 08:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We're heading to Key West for Thanksgiving as well. Personally, I'd stay more nights in Key West and less in Key Largo, but I dearly love Key West. We're bringing our two adult children with us for the first time, so we're trying to think of some things to do. Usually, we spend a lot of time just wandering, stopping for a drink wherever, and doing lots of reading.

I'm a real water temperature wimp, I don't know how warm the water will be the end of November. So, we probably won't snorkel. We are considering one of the kayak tours of the mangroves.

We'll also do a sunset cruise, last year we went on the Schooner America. Pretty expensive, but it was wonderful.

We'll also revisit Hemingway House. A very nice tour. We probably won't revisit the Truman White House, but we did find it interesting a few years ago.

I'll also drag my kids on a self-guided tour of the Key West cemetary. Lots of history there, also some rather bizarre epitaphs.

We'll also rent bicycles for a day and tour the island.

If you like to walk, staying at the Southernmost Point B&B won't be a problem. I'm sure we walk the entire length of Duval and then some every single day that we're there.

As for restaurants in Key West, there are plenty to choose from. For good authentic Cuban, try El Siboney. We had better meals than on previous visits last month at Half Shell Raw Bar, down at the harbor. We also had a very good lunch at Bagatelle. On previous visits, we had good meals at Blue Heaven, Seven Fish, and Alice's.
Jean
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 12:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We spent our honeymoon in the Keys (stayed in Key Largo the whole time) and I would agree with the other posters. We stayed at the Marriott, which was really nice and comfy but aside from some snorkeling being nearby I wish we would have stayed in Key West or much closer to Key West. Key Largo is just very quiet and not a lot to see or do right there. We took a snorkeling trip out to the underwater statue and it was some of the best snorkeling I have seen. That's the only place where I have seen lobster before.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 01:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sigh......you're making me face my age....we love Key Largo, but that's because we do NOTHING while we're there and that's what we're looking for. It's a great place to just sit back and relax - Key West is much more fun for nightlife and excitement, but I wouldn't want to miss our 4 days in December this year, out of Ohio into Key Largo, for anything - You have a great time anywhere you land in the Keys - you won't be sorry!!
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 05:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would choose fewer nights in Key Largo and/or Key West and opt for a night or two or three in the middle Keys! Feels more like a tropical getaway to me.

I highly recommend a kayak tour to the "back country" near Big Pine Key--Scarlett Ibis tours has a website, and we loved our tour! Lots of wildlife to view, and very quiet and amazing waters.

Definitely make a stop at Bahia Honda (you can catch a boat there out to Looe Key)--gorgeous waters and beaches, and teeming with sea life.

If you are at all interested in dolphins, I would investigate the Dolphin Research Center. It is very different from other "dolphin experiences."

Key West is lovely and has quite a nightlife, and Key Largo is a good base for Everglades and Pennekamp Park. But if you miss the middle and lower Keys, I would think you would miss the heart of the Keys. Just my opinion.

I'm sure you will have a fabulous time!
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 11:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
largo is kind of quiet. john pennekamp is great. the tour you booked is popular.if it's windy snorkel with sundiver. they gear trips for children and take you to a sandbar that blocks heavy waves. restaurants-snook's, snapper's, lorelei has entertainment on a dcek and resonably priced food. FORGET Senior Friojles..don't go near it
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 07:36 AM
GoTravel

I would stay in Islamorada instead of Key Largo. Rent a boat, you'll be bored stiff if you don't.

Old Oct 21st, 2004, 10:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, if you don't go near Senior Frijoles, you'll miss one of the better restaurants in the Upper Keys, the Sundowner which is right next door.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 10:56 PM
crk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We just got back from the keys, but skipped Key Largo. We stayed in Key West for 2 nights, which was plenty for us. I recommend dinner at Alice's, which is close to where you will be staying. We also had a great dinner at Hot Tin Roof, near Mallery Sq.

We stayed in Big Pine Key for 2 nights, very close to Bahia Honda State Park. We loved the Key Deer. Coco's Cafe was very good Cuban Food.

I highly recommend going to the Dolphin Research Center in Grassy Key. (www.dolphins.org). I may be getting these names wrong, but The Hideaway at the Rainbow Bend Resort is also a great restaurant.

Have fun!!
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 11:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't ignore the advice here. Key Largo is not a destination. Lots of bilboards and "Shell Citys". Spend the nights that you planned for Largo in the middle Keys. Islamorada is ideal. We'll be down there over Thanksgiving as well. Ring us up, and we can show you around!
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 08:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, in terms of Key Largo as a destination, if you are into watersports it is a fine choice. Actually, from a lounge chair at water's edge or the deck of a boat all the Keys, from Key Largo to Key West, look pretty much alike. Yes, the view of Key Largo as you drive down US 1 is not as attractive as that of Islamorda, so if you are going to spend your vacation driving up and down US 1 you might be affronted by billboards. I can pretty much guarantee, however, that if you are sitting waterside at one Key Largo's oceanfron or bayfront resorts with a drink in one hand and a fishing rod in the other, you won't be able to see a single billboard.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 05:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try staying in the middle keys or Islamorada a few days. The snorkeling is wonderful off of Looe Key and also check out Sombrero Reef in Marathon. I have always enjoyed John Pennekamp in Key Largo, but not 4 days worth. Marathon and Islamorada have some great places to stay. (Sombrero Reef Inn in Marathon) Kon Tiki in Islamorada. Try The Square Grouper when coming up through Cudjoe Key, it's a great restaurant for lunch or dinner.