must waterfals at North Carolina

Old Apr 10th, 2006, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

must waterfals at North Carolina

2 adults,70 y.old parents and one 5 y. old.Will be around Bryson City for 5 days , some of us will do Chatooga #4 at one day.Railroad another day.And the rest we would like to see some waterfalls at Blue Ridge parkway.Which would you recomend?
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 06:23 AM

Well, don't expect Niagra or Victoria Falls, but Linville Falls along the Blue Ridge Parkway are nice to view. I find them pictureque if not dramatic.

Also along the Blue Ridge Parkway I like Crabtree Falls at Crabtree Meadows. The walk to the falls is nice and shady.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 06:23 AM

Make that picturesque. Fingers don't want to work; eyes are not coordinating, or something similar.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 03:18 PM

Looking Glass Falls is very close to the road & easy to see. http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreat...glassfalls.htm

Whitewater Falls is magnificant and is just a short walk to view. You can take some stairs down to get a closer view, but it's not necessary. http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreat...waterfalls.htm

Dry Falls are really neat, but you do need to walk a bit. http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreat...s/dryfalls.htm

Cullasaja Falls are really good, but beware that parking is limited and you can only see this from the road.

http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreat...asajafalls.htm

I know there are tons of other waterfalls in the area, but these are the ones we've seen.

Utahtea....yes I've been to SC, GA & NC..LOL!

Old Apr 10th, 2006, 03:24 PM

An excellent source of info, directions & photos of NC waterfalls is www.ncwaterfalls.com. Depending on waterflow, Whitewater Falls near the NC/SC border is nice. Some say it is the highest falls east of the Mississippi.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 04:55 PM

Linville Falls is not near Bryson City. Via the Parkway it's probably two hours or more. But they are GREAT falls to visit and it's a pretty drive, and they are right off the Parkway.

Most NC falls are in Transylvania County. Cullasaja Falls, Dry Falls, and Bridal Veil falls are off US 64 between Highlands and Franklin. We were just by there a few weeks ago. If your car is small enough you can squeeze off the side of the road to view Cullasaja. They are are magnificent! You have to be going toward Highlands to see them, they'll be on the right side of the road.

You can do a loop starting at Franklin, go toward Highlands and pass the three mentioned above. At Highlands, continue on US 64 to Hwy 107 South (right turn). Silver Run Falls is on this road, and is marked. There's a short easy hike to the falls from the parking area. This is a pretty waterfall, and there's a nice pool at the bottom. Also off this hwy is Cashiers Sliding Rock, but I can't remember the name of the road it's on. You can Google and find directions. Hwy 107 will go into South Carolina -- right around this point there's a cutoff road to take you over to SC130/NC281 (road number changes at the state line). Head north on this road and Whitewater Falls area will be on your right. There is a daily use fee for the area, I think it's $2 per car. The hike down to the falls is short, but there are several steps if you want to go to the lower viewing area.

Head back north on NC 281 back to US 64 into Brevard. At Brevard, take US 276 North through the Pisgah National Forest. There is at least one waterfall on this highway, but I can't remember the name.

At the top of the mountain, you can pick up the Blue Ridge Highway and take it west toward US 23/74, which you can then take back to Bryson City. Or you can continue over the mountain to Waynesville, where you can pick up 23/74.

Have a great time!! And be patient with the traffic on the two-lane mountain highways!
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 04:58 PM

Another thought -- make sure to take a map of the area just in case you get off on a side road and can't find your way back to the highway.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 11:11 AM

Just heard about this website today: www.visitwaterfalls.com

Geared toward Transylvania county with directions to and commentary on several waterfalls.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 12:07 PM

Besides all the excellent recommendations already made, check out Amazon, or a local bookstore/library for NC Waterfall books. I know there is one (title is blanking at the moment) where the author lists how difficult it is to get to. Things like 1/10 mile pavement with wheelchair accessibility, to 3-mile hike through underbrush -- watch out for wildlife, slippery slopes, etc.